SugarVenom

Ride Headdress Controversey

but those types need to realize that individualized "culture" is dead in our globalized society and the future is just one big blender. All modern art is appropriation, especially in the post-internet age.

I don't mean that people shouldn't be allowed to be inspired by their own heritage. That makes for great art, too --- look at Lana's Americana obsession! Instead, I was taking issue with the stance that they should be limited to their own cultures when finding artistic inspiration, something that is quickly becoming impossible as the world globalizes.

Thanks for explaining your original thought. I was probably reading too much into this big blender thing that you mentioned in your first post. It's a somewhat touchy issue for me because it wasn't so long ago when my country was finally able to escape from one of those unions that tried to make all the people adopt similar culture and beliefs whether they wanted or not. The idea of getting into another blender wasn't very appealing when I read your post. But finding inspiration in other cultures is something completely different and I have nothing against this kind of mutual sharing.

Didn’t see this post until just now. The forum has been acting buggy lately with the going to last unread post feature--sometimes it just skips over a lot of unread posts for some reason.

Is it disrespectful to wrap yourself in the American flag?

I don’t know. It’s a good question. I’m sure some people in the military would be offended. Offended by what exactly, i don’t know. I mean, any country’s flag represents its people, no? And an entire country’s people is a diverse population. And any person of any country is entitled to identify with their country and whatever symbols are used to represent the country, no? What is she doing with the flag that is damaging to its people? Some would probably argue that there are only certain things that are acceptable to do with a flag, and that draping it over oneself is not one of these things. I’m personally not offended by her doing it. I don’t feel as if she was misrepresenting, stereotyping, or belittling my or anyone’s culture by doing it. I should make it clear that i’m not necessarily offended by the use of the headdress in the Ride video, i just think she’s being stupid and thoughtless.

Re: fashion: What about wearing a t-shirt with an American flag on it? Is that offensive? It’s so broad, you know? (see above). A headdress, though, is very specific with its meaning, connotation, and history. Wearing something, a symbol, that is sacred or meaningful to an entire group of other people as nothing more than a fashion item simply because you think it looks pretty or cool is dismissive of the value that those people place in it.

Even if it was basically respectful, it was still a culture that she basically has no business making art out of.

I don’t know if she has no right making art out of gay culture. Maybe she has had conflicting feelings about her sexuality before? Do we know with complete certainty that she’s totally straight? But the more important question is: was gay culture really being represented in Summertime Sadness or were we just watching a love story where the characters’ sexuality could have easily been interchangeable? Were Native Americans represented in that section of Ride or was it just a white girl using a Native symbol (for either purely aesthetic purposes or to identify with another people's struggles)? Either way, i don’t think she was making art out of gay culture in SS. She was telling a love story with characters that happened to be gay, but their sexuality wasn't pertinent to the story, lesbianism wasn’t the crux of the narrative nor was she making a particular point about it. Again, it goes without say, but homosexuality is present in every culture, ethnicity, sex, class, age, etc. It’s universal. Specific Native American symbols and customs are not. She could have very well been playing the role of a mother in SS. She’s not a mother in real life (that we know of, at least!) so would that have been offensive to all mothers? Motherhood is not unique to any one specific culture just as homosexuality isn't.

I don’t know, i feel that at this point we may just be asking each other rhetorical questions back and forth. Which, don’t get me wrong, is totally fine--it gives us stuff to think about.

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

So clearly the Ride video has caused some controversy and perhaps rubbed people the wrong way. but is this really necessary :/ ?

tumblr_mbymq0BB0l1rq5ml1o1_1280.jpg

Link: http://this-is-not-n...ried-to-keep-it

What do you guys think? How do you feel about this (somewhat extreme, in my opinion) reaction?

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

True but it is such a tired topic already

In other news apparently Wiz Kahlifa's new video features him in a headdress. oh and him and Lana are supposed 2 b collab'ing on a track with french montana. now they'll have sumthing to talk about ^_^

Edit: To call her a racist for this is just outrageous

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

True but it is such a tired topic already

In other news apparently Wiz Kahlifa's new video features him in a headdress. oh and him and Lana are supposed 2 b collab'ing on a track with french montana. now they'll have sumthing to talk about ^_^

Yeah I get what you mean, but really, little too far. And omg that sounds like it'll be amazing. I love it when lana gets her hip-hop on.

I don't get it, but I do, but I don't.

If Lana Del Rey dressed as a Grecian princess or a Greek God, I'd be delighted and PROUD AS A MOTHER FUCKER. (I'm Greek).

So please tell me why the people bothered by this are so bashful towards it...

OWN IT. BE PROUD. FUCK IT, IT'S OUT!

Lana don't ever apologize for choosing to wear a head dress in this amazing video, you look beautiful in it baby. I know you didn't intend to put down others.

Or if you secretly did, own it.

FUCK IT EVERYONE!

I can't be with the man I love,

I can't be if he treats me rough.

tumblr_mbseajROmO1qb9tu7o1_500.gif

Ew if she ever owned trying to cause controversy/put down others because of this I'd be done tbh. (Although, as someone here once stated there has been something scandalous in each of her videos)

Correct me if I'm wrong but Greeks+Americans never had any major tiffs.. right? lol I could be wrong. However, Americans slaughtered Native Americans, raped and stole from them. In a way, it's like we're trying to steal their culture now too by making what comprises of it a joke/trendy. We aren't entitled to that.

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

The "I am a RACIST" bit is even more ignorant than sporting the headdress in the video...

I read through a bit more of the tumblr and well... They sure have gusto... If that's what you can call it.

I absolutely hate this kind of political correctness, as it suppresses free thought and makes you walk on eggshells about everything. Some people just look for the opportunity to find something to criticize and this is one of those instances. Nothing in her wearing the headdress in the video implies anything negative about Native Americans IMHO.