LDRO

Instagram Updates

Maybe that's a problem?

Also, really? It's not central, but it's not like her catalog is absent of lyrics suggestive of race or ethnicity. And you could write a whole dissertation or longform thinkpiece on race in her music video catalog. (Has anyone? I'd be fascinated to read one.)

This comes uncomfortably close to sounding like "I don't know enough POC to have any songs about them."

Again, that's the problem.

Also, LOL at trying to have it both ways, decreeing Kanye West's MAGA-hat-wearing ways "a loss for the culture" (I don't disagree) while simultaneously trying to distance herself from "the culture" and sidestep cultural critiques when it suits her.

Speaking of her tweets about Kanye, I'm reminded she specifically mentioned his "narcissism". Lana, whether it's about Kanye or Azealia or not, OF COURSE people are going to think a line like "black narcissist" might be a reference to them after you publicly feuded with them using similar language. Even if wrong, it's a reasonable inference. Poor form to chastise your fans and others for making it. C'mon, Lana, if Azealia dropped a track using a label she'd called you on Twitter and even threw "white" in front of it you know you'd think it was about you.

Lana, use a publicist for any statements on sensitive subjects.

If we're being critical about the response, the fact that it's to a fan and not given on her general social media outlets (or is it?), is an interesting feature, imo. It says to me that the issue is a no-brainer (in her mind, i.e., not worth clarifying, or even bringing to the attention of the GP, because it's obvious). I mean if fans don't give her the benefit of the doubt, when there's an obvious counter-interpretation, who will? So being peeved is warranted, imo.

I agree that there's quite a lot of ethnicity and culture borrowed in her video work, and maybe even in song. Her saying she has "nothing to do with the majority of culture" is just a (poor) way of saying she is selective about her use of culture, imo.

Also saying "deeply personal and introspective having nothing to do with anyone outside of my immediate circle of people i know personally." sort of suggests there *might* be other people outside herself that the song could be about. Marina? 

She's definitely o.k. with POC no matter how she actually comes off in her (personal?) response (i.e., Asap Rocky, and the Weeknd say hello). 

A requirement? lol People rn, me included, just think it could’ve been handled in a better way. Like even before she released it, it was messy. And personally, I get why people had a problem with that lyric. It’s a long tiring explanation that I don’t want to get into, bc it’ll get twisted on here. And I think most of the people saying she’s racist were on Twitter. Not here. We get she was referring to depression, people were just saying she could’ve worded it better.

American is the first song that came in my head when Lana said she didn’t have a song about race of any kind lol

"American" is not a race though, and another allowable interpretation (of "skin so golden brown") is that she's talking about the continent, not specifically the U.S. For example, I hear (in Last Girl on Earth) she has a roller coaster named after her in Mexico, which she happens to own, btw; Mexico, that is, not just the roller coaster in it. 

Can someone link me to this post/these posts? I haven't seen it. Please.

here you go:

RdlALfE.jpg

I never meant to be bad or unwell I was just living on the edge right between heaven and hell & I'm tired of it 

Omg i can feel the longing and pain in her voice oh my fucking god

Even outside being a Lana stan, this album, thus far, has classic status written all over it. 

I can see people in 2032 considering it as such like we commonly do 90s stuff today. It just really gives that impression. (Plus, the production sounds like it can hold up with the years going by.)

i hope HIAB becomes her new Video Games, not of acclaim and success- but of personal significance

Sylvia Plath is her Chelsea Hotel No.2

Venice Bitch is her new OTTR

Yosemite her magnum opus..norman fucking rockwell fucking snapped

:awk:

yes we agree

are you being serious?  :um2:

Honestly, Venice Bitch is a good song. It is. It's cute, catchy, and I really do like it. But...that's it. I have no idea why & how it got elevated to this masterpiece status. It doesn't compare to anything on BTD, UV, or HM. It was so hyped up and I expected it to be so much better than it ended up being. I mean..."It's me your little Venice bitch"??? I thought we were getting Brooklyn Baby II, not a Sirens bonus track. It was a huge let-down. I ended up liking it after getting over the -major- initial disappointment, but hearing people call it her best song is always jarring.

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

Honestly, Venice Bitch is a good song. It is. It's cute, catchy, and I really do like it. But...that's it. I have no idea why & how it got elevated to this masterpiece status. It doesn't compare to anything on BTD, UV, or HM. It was so hyped up and I expected it to be so much better than it ended up being. I mean..."It's me your little Venice bitch"??? I thought we were getting Brooklyn Baby II, not a Sirens bonus track. It was a huge let-down. I ended up liking it after getting over the -major- initial disappointment, but hearing people call it her best song is always jarring.

I dont think you understood For K Pt. 1 is way to good to be compared to Venice Snitch

Unfortunately... this is incorrect

god-damn.png

i think there's a lot of hype around it because it's the longest song she's ever made (about 5 minutes too long imo) and pretty different from anything she's ever done. parts of it are great but the structure/length makes it hard to listen to

tumblr_nm0tamtNCm1rfduvxo1_250.gif