LDRO

Instagram Updates

Okay, I'm gonna say it.

Maybe this is about Seany.

People have told me he's really immature irl. Maybe he had this expectation that she's a "bad girl" who would, for example, drink and do drugs, and she isn't (at least, not anymore ...). The cover of the journal even references "Peter Pan" ... Peter Pan syndrome? Reaching, but I also feel like it'd be a very "Lanz" thing to shade him like that ...

Remember she posted the video of herself reading that other poem when she broke up with Chase (although that one didn't really seem to be about him, iirc).

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

Video of some poetry - 

"May You Resist Being colonized utterly by those who do not have your soul's interest at heart.

May you practice humor in order to bypass invitations to doom. Practice exiting quickly. Leave only your laughter in the air behind you when you've been invited to fulfill someone else's fantasy that's not you."

Well Marina did thank LDR in her L + F album notes:

"Lana for your inspiring views on life. I appreciate our friendship so much."  So this would appear to be some of that (i.e., an inspiring view). It is possibly an oblique response to people who are miffed at her attending church, even though she has cancelled some concerts.

As to the writing's substance: the use of the word "colonize" as well as the use of the word "soul" kind of remind me of "Invictus" (the poem) because colonizing is a thing of the past (or a thing of the future if you're into scifi) and "soul" is kind of the protagonist of that poem (some would even say it's relevant to why she goes to church; don't know, I don't go to church). BTW, I went to project Gutenberg and downloaded Peter Pan and searched for "awfully big". She has not quoted PP exactly but has alluded to it (unless the html script at Gutenberg is in error). The scene is they're on a rock (Peter and Wendy) and water is rising. There's a way out for one of them, and Peter elects to save Wendy. The allusion is at the end.

<< extended quote >>

“I can't help you, Wendy. Hook wounded me. I can neither fly nor swim.”

“Do you mean we shall both be drowned?”

“Look how the water is rising.”

They put their hands over their eyes to shut out the sight. They thought they would soon be no more. As they sat thus something brushed against Peter as light as a kiss, and stayed there, as if saying timidly, “Can I be of any use?”

It was the tail of a kite, which Michael had made some days before. It had torn itself out of his hand and floated away.

“Michael's kite,” Peter said without interest, but next moment he had seized the tail, and was pulling the kite toward him.

“It lifted Michael off the ground,” he cried; “why should it not carry you?”

“Both of us!”

“It can't lift two; Michael and Curly tried.”

“Let us draw lots,” Wendy said bravely.

“And you a lady; never.” Already he had tied the tail round her. She clung to him; she refused to go without him; but with a “Good-bye, Wendy,” he pushed her from the rock; and in a few minutes she was borne out of his sight. Peter was alone on the lagoon.

The rock was very small now; soon it would be submerged. Pale rays of light tiptoed across the waters; and by and by there was to be heard a sound at once the most musical and the most melancholy in the world: the mermaids calling to the moon.

Peter was not quite like other boys; but he was afraid at last. A tremour ran through him, like a shudder passing over the sea; but on the sea one shudder follows another till there are hundreds of them, and Peter felt just the one. Next moment he was standing erect on the rock again, with that smile on his face and a drum beating within him. It was saying, “To die will be an awfully big adventure.”

<<endquote>>

The "to live" version of the quote is from the play. Encouraging that the author of "born to die" chose this version of the quote.

Incidentally my 3-year-old loves Peter Pan, or more specifically, Captain Hook. He loves running around the house telling everyone to "Walk the plank!" like a broken record. When he broke his leg right before Halloween we just incorporated a peg leg into his already planned costume. (Yeah, I know Captain Hook didn't have one but whatevs.) I just woke up and am in bed writing this on my phone just as he walked into my room with an armload of stuffed animals with the intention of cuddling up in mommy and daddy's bed.

WALK THE PLANK LANA!

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Has Lana been reading Confucius (the Chinese philosopher) ?

Sounds like she has been writing some proverbs in that style

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/confucius-quotes

" It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love.

This is how the whole scheme of things works.

All good things are difficult to achieve;

and bad things are very easy to get "

-

Well Marina did thank LDR in her L + F album notes:

"Lana for your inspiring views on life. I appreciate our friendship so much."  So this would appear to be some of that (i.e., an inspiring view). It is possibly an oblique response to people who are miffed at her attending church, even though she has cancelled some concerts.

As to the writing's substance: the use of the word "colonize" as well as the use of the word "soul" kind of remind me of "Invictus" (the poem) because colonizing is a thing of the past (or a thing of the future if you're into scifi) and "soul" is kind of the protagonist of that poem (some would even say it's relevant to why she goes to church; don't know, I don't go to church). BTW, I went to project Gutenberg and downloaded Peter Pan and searched for "awfully big". She has not quoted PP exactly but has alluded to it (unless the html script at Gutenberg is in error). The scene is they're on a rock (Peter and Wendy) and water is rising. There's a way out for one of them, and Peter elects to save Wendy. The allusion is at the end.

<< extended quote >>

“I can't help you, Wendy. Hook wounded me. I can neither fly nor swim.”

“Do you mean we shall both be drowned?”

“Look how the water is rising.”

They put their hands over their eyes to shut out the sight. They thought they would soon be no more. As they sat thus something brushed against Peter as light as a kiss, and stayed there, as if saying timidly, “Can I be of any use?”

It was the tail of a kite, which Michael had made some days before. It had torn itself out of his hand and floated away.

“Michael's kite,” Peter said without interest, but next moment he had seized the tail, and was pulling the kite toward him.

“It lifted Michael off the ground,” he cried; “why should it not carry you?”

“Both of us!”

“It can't lift two; Michael and Curly tried.”

“Let us draw lots,” Wendy said bravely.

“And you a lady; never.” Already he had tied the tail round her. She clung to him; she refused to go without him; but with a “Good-bye, Wendy,” he pushed her from the rock; and in a few minutes she was borne out of his sight. Peter was alone on the lagoon.

The rock was very small now; soon it would be submerged. Pale rays of light tiptoed across the waters; and by and by there was to be heard a sound at once the most musical and the most melancholy in the world: the mermaids calling to the moon.

Peter was not quite like other boys; but he was afraid at last. A tremour ran through him, like a shudder passing over the sea; but on the sea one shudder follows another till there are hundreds of them, and Peter felt just the one. Next moment he was standing erect on the rock again, with that smile on his face and a drum beating within him. It was saying, “To die will be an awfully big adventure.”

<<endquote>>

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/16/16-h/16-h.htm

Fully no offence but I doubt she's read any criticism of her going to church on here or elsewhere, it's more likely to be a personal thing. Imo the use of the word "colonise" is an insensitive misuse of the word. Colonies still very much exist and given that she's trying to portray this look of being self and politically aware it's not a good look to use colonialism to refer to your own personal and individual feelings.

locals only

Fully no offence but I doubt she's read any criticism of her going to church on here or elsewhere, it's more likely to be a personal thing. Imo the use of the word "colonise" is an insensitive misuse of the word. Colonies still very much exist and given that she's trying to portray this look of being self and politically aware it's not a good look to use colonialism to refer to your own personal and individual feelings.

I guess you're talking about indigenous people being pushed out by an "occupying" (what they call colonialism now?) culture, so your point is a good one. She is however using the word in a negative way (e.g., a context to resist), so her use, at least, is not that insensitive. I haven't read any criticism either here or elsewhere too; I just saw a youtube hit "Lana Del Rey Attends Church After Canceling European Tour Due To Illness" in a 24-hour Lana Del Rey google scan and figured she'd seen it too.

I thought about the most inmediate political aception of the word on first instance, and get to thought about what she said about her next album having something to do with native american culture and the need to do her own "reparations". Maybe the text she's shared on the video is somehow related to that narrative?

I guess you're talking about indigenous people being pushed out by an "occupying" (what they call colonialism now?) culture, so your point is a good one. She is however using the word in a negative way (e.g., a context to resist), so her use, at least, is not that insensitive. I haven't read any criticism either here or elsewhere too; I just saw a youtube hit "Lana Del Rey Attends Church After Canceling European Tour Due To Illness" in a 24-hour Lana Del Rey google scan and figured she'd seen it too.

It's not about using the word in a good or bad way, it's using the word, with all its ties to political struggles that she's not a part of (that are still ongoing) to describe her personal feelings. It's like how Audre Lorde's concept of self care, which she coined and used as a radical act (because as a black woman who was ill she found the system was failing her), has now been co-opted by white and often wealthy people to use instead of "unwind" or relax. The concept of being colonised and how that can impact everyday life isn't for her, a white and wealthy woman born and raised (and who often glorifies) in a white settlet colony nation. I feel stupid typing all this on lanaboards about some Instagram video she put up but this segment of writing really rubbed me the wrong way, it has the same vibes as the whole "good intentions will shift the vibrational energies in Palestine" thing. It's a showcase of her privilege and I hope you get where I'm coming from lol.

I thought about the most inmediate political aception of the word on first instance, and get to thought about what she said about her next album having something to do with native american culture and the need to do her own "reparations". Maybe the text she's shared on the video is somehow related to that narrative?

If it is indeed related (there's no confirmation that this is anything to do w VBBOTG) I doubt many Natives would be happy with a white woman comparing the brutal treatment of Natives to her having boyfriend troubles or problems with mainstream fame that got her filthy rich

locals only

It's not about using the word in a good or bad way, it's using the word, with all its ties to political struggles that she's not a part of (that are still ongoing) to describe her personal feelings. It's like how Audre Lorde's concept of self care, which she coined and used as a radical act (because as a black woman who was ill she found the system was failing her), has now been co-opted by white and often wealthy people to use instead of "unwind" or relax. The concept of being colonised and how that can impact everyday life isn't for her, a white and wealthy woman born and raised (and who often glorifies) in a white settlet colony nation. I feel stupid typing all this on lanaboards about some Instagram video she put up but this segment of writing really rubbed me the wrong way, it has the same vibes as the whole "good intentions will shift the vibrational energies in Palestine" thing. It's a showcase of her privilege and I hope you get where I'm coming from lol.

If it is indeed related (there's no confirmation that this is anything to do w VBBOTG) I doubt many Natives would be happy with a white woman comparing the brutal treatment of Natives to her having boyfriend troubles or problems with mainstream fame that got her filthy rich

I 100% agree with you here.  I think her reference to colonization is extremely tactless and makes her come off as privileged and ignorant.  Particularly when she must be aware of the horrors of colonization, having referenced donating money to Native groups just earlier this year and said stuff in interviews about volunteering on a reservation.  Thinking back to her (also tactless) wearing a headdress in the Ride video during the part that says "I believe in the country America used to be" -- I really don't know if Lana has ever come to terms with her privilege or the historical context it has.  Which you'd think, because she glorifies America - a white settler colony still occupying Native land - It's not a good look; that's for sure.  Particularly at a time in history where the war against indigenous people across the globe is still raging and more dire than ever.

IMO, in light of what's going on just this year -- with Bolsonaro encouraging further genocide against the indigenous people of Brazil, the Wet'suwet'en people facing Canada's continued brush off of their rights and sovereignty, the way the out of control Australian fires have highlighted the importance of Aboriginal wisdom, the Costa Rican indigenous activist Yehry Rivera being murdered as the Broran community is trying to reclaim their land -- it's never been clearer that the impact of colonialism is still a massive wound in today's world.  For Lana to throw out such a loaded term so casually, and probably referencing some bullshit first world white girl problem like breaking up with her cop boyfriend or thinking her fans are mean to her or some shit -- it's really honestly disgusting to me.  She's built her entire career glamorizing American history without a single mention of how the entire country she "loves" is built upon violence, carnage, millions of dead bodies, and complete disregard for life.  If it wasn't official before (and tbh I havent been a fan for a while) I cannot be a fan of Lana at the fuck all.  She has all this money and privilege and a massive platform with millions of fans doting on her every word, and she's doing jack shit with it.  What a fucking waste.

lanadelracist.jpg

The only reason Lana Del Racist should be referencing colonization is to hand her platform to an indigenous activist or speak up directly about decolonization and still hand her platform to an indigenous activist.

I'm not a poet or anything, but I don't want to give up the ability to use words flexibly (e.g. "leak holocaust" does that sound familiar to anyone?). That's just what words do. I think what she's trying to do in her post is talk about how depression "invades" her well being and what her counters for that are; hence, the first thing I did with my exploratory post about it was bring up Marina's thank you from L + F (as Marina talked about her depression a lot between Froot and L+F). So she's expressing a "life hack" for depression, not a politically, historically, and/or ethnically correct point, so I'm cutting her some slack. But I do appreciate the explanations for why the word triggers people as I'm insensitive (too), but now I'm a little more sensitive. However, I don't think she wants to compare her suffering to the general suffering humanity inflicts upon itself, and therefore I don't interpret her words, or her, as doing that. Also I don't think it's a response about her current boyfriend (not that I'd mind). It seems more about her relationship with fame in general.

I'm not a poet or anything, but I don't want to give up the ability to use words flexibly (e.g. "leak holocaust" does that sound familiar to anyone?). That's just what words do. I think what she's trying to do in her post is talk about how depression "invades" her well being and what her counters for that are; hence, the first thing I did with my exploratory post about it was bring up Marina's thank you from L + F (as Marina talked about her depression a lot between Froot and L+F). So she's expressing a "life hack" for depression, not a politically, historically, and/or ethnically correct point, so I'm cutting her some slack. But I do appreciate the explanations for why the word triggers people as I'm insensitive (too), but now I'm a little more sensitive. However, I don't think she wants to compare her suffering to the general suffering humanity inflicts upon itself, and therefore I don't interpret her words, or her, as doing that. Also I don't think it's a response about her current boyfriend (not that I'd mind). It seems more about her relationship with fame in general.

imperial colonists invading a continent and committing genocide, then STILL not recognizing rights of surviving indigenous people on that continent, is NOT "suffering humanity inflicts upon itself."  it's an orchestrated attack by one group over another.  I see what youre saying about using language creatively to describe a variety of things, but it's not an emotional argument here.  indigenous people are currently under attack by neo-colonial governments.  indigenous women, girls, and two spirit people regularly go missing or get murdered with no acknowledgement or justice.  neo-colonial governments still reject the sovereignty of indigenous nations and encroach upon their ancestral lands to further corrupt the natural landbase for economic gain, contributing to actual sickness and death of the people who live there as well as climate catastrophe.  it's not about how someone feels.  it's literally a life or death issue for indigenous people who have been sidelined and ignored when theyre not getting disappeared, kidnapped, re-educated, or killed, for multiple centuries now.

i think this is the point thats getting missed by people who have all their material needs met and are able to benefit from governments and societies built by colonialism and genocide.  it's easy to miss just how much is at stake, how dire these issues are, when they don't directly affect someone, or even if someone is able to benefit from this history of colonialism.  so it's absolutely not the same thing, not a fair metaphor, and simply not okay for Lana to use these loaded comparisons to refer to her emotional state.  indigenous people are STILL HERE.  against all past and continuing attacks by colonists, indigenous people still exist and are fighting for their rights and sovereignty, even though they get slapped down, arrested, jailed, sanctioned, attacked, murdered, tortured, etc every single time.  this is a triumphant testament to how the spirit of the Earth can never be defeated.  if Lana wants to acknowledge the strength of these people and use her platform to fight on their behalf, great.  otherwise, she is literally profiting off colonialism and the destruction of native lifestyles in America, then using terms derived from and referencing this history to make points about her first world problems.  it's disgusting.

Um...

Oh I'm sorry, it's probably just easier for you to ignore these issues and keep stanning a rich white woman who pretends to care about shit she doesn't even try to understand. Sorry reality is too inconvenient for you to acknowledge. :/ Alexa, stream God Bless America And All The Beautiful Women In It Except The Stolen Sisters Because I'm Too Far Removed To Care.

#StayFakeWoke

What a bad choice of words... she should really be more careful at least when she decides to share her stuff with the rest of the world. She has no obligation to involve herself in politics, but when she decides to do so even indirectly, it would be best if she used her fame to raise awareness about still existing issues instead of offending a group of people (although I'm 100% sure she doesn't realise it, and there's no excuse for that). 

Honestly sometimes I feel that we overestimate her. I don’t think she’s as smart as I thought she was... I agree that the use of ‘resist’ and ‘colonized’ in the same context like that is highly offensive even though I believe in the freedom of word use in poetry.

If she were speaking clearly about how depression is violently colonizing her and killing her and taking all that makes her her, that would have maybe sounded more poetic and adequate. But the whole poem seems silly and not up to a word like this

Long hair, Lana that's my bitch

imperial colonists invading a continent and committing genocide, then STILL not recognizing rights of surviving indigenous people on that continent, is NOT "suffering humanity inflicts upon itself."  it's an orchestrated attack by one group over another.  I see what youre saying about using language creatively to describe a variety of things, but it's not an emotional argument here.  indigenous people are currently under attack by neo-colonial governments.  indigenous women, girls, and two spirit people regularly go missing or get murdered with no acknowledgement or justice.  neo-colonial governments still reject the sovereignty of indigenous nations and encroach upon their ancestral lands to further corrupt the natural landbase for economic gain, contributing to actual sickness and death of the people who live there as well as climate catastrophe.  it's not about how someone feels.  it's literally a life or death issue for indigenous people who have been sidelined and ignored when theyre not getting disappeared, kidnapped, re-educated, or killed, for multiple centuries now.

i think this is the point thats getting missed by people who have all their material needs met and are able to benefit from governments and societies built by colonialism and genocide.  it's easy to miss just how much is at stake, how dire these issues are, when they don't directly affect someone, or even if someone is able to benefit from this history of colonialism.  so it's absolutely not the same thing, not a fair metaphor, and simply not okay for Lana to use these loaded comparisons to refer to her emotional state.  indigenous people are STILL HERE.  against all past and continuing attacks by colonists, indigenous people still exist and are fighting for their rights and sovereignty, even though they get slapped down, arrested, jailed, sanctioned, attacked, murdered, tortured, etc every single time.  this is a triumphant testament to how the spirit of the Earth can never be defeated.  if Lana wants to acknowledge the strength of these people and use her platform to fight on their behalf, great.  otherwise, she is literally profiting off colonialism and the destruction of native lifestyles in America, then using terms derived from and referencing this history to make points about her first world problems.  it's disgusting.

Do you even know what poetry is...  :biblio: