Sign in to follow this  
graham4anything

Pet Shop Boys

Can't believe there is no Pet Shop Boys thread

Been a fan since West End Girls, throughout their entire now 30 year career and the last act prior to Lana that I consider really great.

The progression from pre-rock, to Elvis, to Orbison to Beatles to Elton to PSB to Lana

I think PSB are the natural continuation of Elton (wish they did more stuff together

Seen them in concert at least 6 different tours in the US at various places in NYC

Just released their latest lp "Super" this week. Entirely fast, no ballads on this (they say their next will be heavy with ballads).

Their song from this "Pop Kids" is somewhat of a fast Being Boring (one of the greatest literary songs)

Love Neil's songwriting and voice. Chris's music. Would it be wrong to say they invented EDM before it was called EDM (or whatever it is called now)

Wish they would do something with Lana

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

@@JamesDean   Being Boring is my favorite song of theirs too.  Heard it thousands of times, it always gets me when Neil sings "Always thought you'd be sitting here with me"

Second favorite is their take on "Somewhere", they nail it perfectly, so many people have copied the song, Neil's voice is perftly suited

for it.

It's a sin,  (love hearing it live, some great You Tube European shows, real loud

Same with the troops marching "Go West" video

Their version of "Philadelphia"

Love etc.

Wish Neil and Lana would do duets, think their voices would mesh perfect (especially on slow ballads or both slow/fast.

Can you imagine Neil and Lana doing the Maleficent song Lana made her own  with "Once upon a dream" perhaps make it 3 times as long

going from slow to fast back to slow again

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

@@theeternalstars   so far like everything on the new album, need to listen a lot more...as of the moment The Dictator Decides is my favorite.too.

Looking to hear that one and other new songs in concert...Hope they come to the USA this year at some point...nothing scheduled yet (last tour was the first time they made 2 separate same tour different months apperances

Recently got into their music after someone on last.fm recommended them to me, and I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far.

I've only listened to their albums "Please" and "Super" so far... which ones should I listen to next? What are their best albums in your opinion? Let me know :)

Recently got into their music after someone on last.fm recommended them to me, and I'm really enjoying what I've heard so far.

I've only listened to their albums "Please" and "Super" so far... which ones should I listen to next? What are their best albums in your opinion? Let me know :)

I prefer their 80's stuff – "Please" and "Actually" are their best records for me.

I prefer their 80's stuff – "Please" and "Actually" are their best records for me.

"Please" is a great record. I will have to give "Actually" a listen soon.

Apparently "Very" is a very (no pun intended) popular album of theirs. What do you think of that one?

"Please" is a great record. I will have to give "Actually" a listen soon.

Apparently "Very" is a very (no pun intended) popular album of theirs. What do you think of that one?

"Very" is good but not my favourite since it's a bit too "Pop" for me (well I know all of the PSB albums are Pop but this one is especially aiming at the radio). But I like it nevertheless. Some great songs on it like "Can you forgive her" or "Yesterday when I was mad".

Brand new 4 song EP "AGENDA"

four political allegory that is distinctly in perfect Pet Shop Boy style anti-trump, anti-fascist anti-Bannon, Johnson, Brexit, anti-rich

the four songs are-

Give Stupidity a Chance  

What are we going to do about the rich

Where is the child

On Social Media

all 4 are on youtube and other places now, not going to put links up because not everyone can get into those links depending on location, but quite easy to find and I really like how they blend together and how Neil & Chris expertly weave their older music style with the singing/lyrics 

these are going to be on a future album

Would love to see them live singing all of these (though perhaps that won't occur)

================================================================

and listening to this today Feb 8, 2019, when there are hearings about trump going on, and that shaved head bald guy Whitaker not wanting to answer any questions, being arrogant

rude, thumbing his ugly nose at anyone who dares to question him, trying to run the clock out (and through it all the lies were clear from the answers he gave that they are guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt )

37 years since I first heard Neil & Chris. Liked them from first listen never stopped. In reality, the last musical act I really continuously  liked prior to Lana.

and note the lyrics in "give stupidity a chance" are sung in the character of trump(lock trump up)