urbannoize

Baz Luhrmann Reveals Prince Song That Never Happened For Great Gatsby Turned Out To Be Opportunity For Lana Del Rey

In the wake of Prince’s recent passing, Baz Luhrmann reveals Prince’s early involvement with Luhrmann’s 2013 Great Gatsby soundtrack that never panned out turned into an opportunity for Lana Del Rey and her centerpiece record of the star studded album Young and Beautiful.

"In one of the great sadnesses that I've been reminded of with the passing of Prince is that on Gatsby…I was working with Prince on a song for Gatsby and it was a re-imagined version of a song he did with Martika called 'Love…Thy Will Be Done' and it was going to be a major piece in [the film]," Luhrmann explained. "And we did work on it. He was in Australia touring and we did some work there. We did further work on it. In fact we worked on it a lot. And there just came a moment when — it's a co-owned piece and he couldn't quite get it released. And at that stage I had to make another decision, so I went and worked with Lana Del Rey to do the piece we did."

Read more here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7341807/baz-luhrmann-prince-great-gatsby-song

I don't mean to be one of those annoying freaks obsessed with conspiracy theories, but I find it insane that Lana keeps having all these affiliations with dying celebrities.

Remember in 2014 when she was scheduled to collaborate with Lou Reed for a song on Ultraviolence, but on that exact day he died!

Then Lana goes and references David Bowie lyrics in 'Terrence Loves You' ("Ground control to Major Tom") and talks about him in an interview (how Lana Del Rey isn't a persona or an alter-ego like David Bowie)... then he dies a month or two after?

Now, Prince! Not that long ago on the Honeymoon account, do any of you remember this post which read:

"Living in the land of Honeymoons & Oil Tycoons. God Bless America, the land of pink champagne & purple rain. This is my favourite perspective / nothing but white sails above and blue waters rolling in front of me for miles and miles."

Take a close look, she references "PURPLE RAIN"... and now Prince is dead.

I know that it's quite possibly a coincidence, and I'm not saying that we should take any of this too seriously, but I just find it super weird that Lana keeps referencing someone, then not soon after they're dead. It could just be that she is influenced by a lot of older artists, but I just find it so strange regardless. 

in b4 everyone tells me i'm crazy lol. I don't actually believe Lana has anything to do with these deaths, I'm just interested in your thoughts as to why this keeps happening?

Also Nicole Nodland, the woman who shot the most iconic photos of Lana wouldn't have been able to do that had she not been given a break in the industry years ago by PRINCE.

She posted that info on her Insta 3 weeks prior to Prince's death.

http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/statuses/user/4843-angelheadedhipster/?status_id=93599

Prince : Party like its 1999

Lana : Party like its 1949

I don't mean to be one of those annoying freaks obsessed with conspiracy theories, but I find it insane that Lana keeps having all these affiliations with dying celebrities.

Remember in 2014 when she was scheduled to collaborate with Lou Reed for a song on Ultraviolence, but on that exact day he died!

Then Lana goes and references David Bowie lyrics in 'Terrence Loves You' ("Ground control to Major Tom") and talks about him in an interview (how Lana Del Rey isn't a persona or an alter-ego like David Bowie)... then he dies a month or two after?

Now, Prince! Not that long ago on the Honeymoon account, do any of you remember this post which read:

"Living in the land of Honeymoons & Oil Tycoons. God Bless America, the land of pink champagne & purple rain. This is my favourite perspective / nothing but white sails above and blue waters rolling in front of me for miles and miles."

I know that it's quite possibly a coincidence, and I'm not saying that we should take any of this too seriously, but I just find it super weird that Lana keeps referencing someone, then not soon after they're dead. It could just be that she is influenced by a lot of older artists, but I just find it so strange regardless. 

in b4 everyone tells me i'm crazy lol. I don't actually believe Lana has anything to do with these deaths, I'm just interested in your thoughts as to why this keeps happening?

murderin’-a-murderin’ ‘em just for fun

murderin’-a-murderin’ ‘em one-by-one

That's pretty cool- Our Trailblazer Lana with more than 300 great songs, beat out Prince & Martika for it.

Reminds me how Harrison Ford beat out Tom Selleck in the casting of Indiana Jones

Or how fellow hear every breathe Raymond Burr, the one and only Perry Mason, had to wait for about 100 others to be tested before getting THE roll of all rolls

in his long career.

step by step

heart to heart

they all fall down

like toy soldiers

(great song by Martika, but like so many artists her one and only)

btw, if one goes back a great number of months, I posted how Lana's duet with Weeknd reminded me in some ways

of Prince & Sheena Easton's Sugar Walls. One can look it up.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Check out the Ariana Grande unreleased song Pink Champagne, circa 2013. It could also be a reference to that as Grande uses the same rhyme (pink champagne/purple rain). Also Bruce Springsteen and The Crystal Method are doing just fine, I think.

and Leonard Cohen is alive and well and living in Canada

not to mention Daniel J. is as well as someone in his condition can be

this 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon games always annoys me

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp