Sign in to follow this  
Sam Gho

Lana settling down?

I am sure you have noticed that Lana bought a house in Beverly Hills. I think she moved in after she got back from Glasgow and had Chuck and Charlie with her, during the move. Barrie just joined her today (he posted a pic from her house on FB and Twitter), and Lana is of course busy buying stuff for the house (including the pony!). She now has her new Jaguar F-type to tool around (someone posted on ATRL that Jaguar gave her 3 cars!!) and all this makes it seem she is settling down after years of somewhat nomadic existence (Alabama(?), NYC, NJ trailer park, LA, London, Glasgow, Chateau Marmot). On one hand I feel really happy for her, on the other hand I wonder how it will affect her music and song-writing. Your thoughts?

I think it would be good. I don't need her constantly doing stuff that would generate the same old depressive material, you know? As long as there's some semblance of a career. Lots of active celebrities own houses.

I think it would be good. I don't need her constantly doing stuff that would generate the same old depressive material, you know? As long as there's some semblance of a career. Lots of active celebrities own houses.

Yup, that is exactly what I was thinking, whether this means we can expect happier songs in the future, maybe a Born to Live era is coming!

So happy for her! I've been wondering if she's had a "house" for the past year or two. This should be good for her. She's been moving non stop for like the past year. :) :)

2dt29zc.jpg

yes! i think that, unlike most artists who need to feel sad or angry or depressed to write, lana can write happy(ish): think of "on our way" and "never let me go", or even "yayo" (although it's a bit more of a melancholy joy). of course some people, when truly content, no longer feel the need for creative catharsis. let's hope that's not the case for our dear lizzy lana! but above all, i want her to be happy ♥ may karma give back what she lost and repair the damage of the hatewave! :)

Actually the deluge of Lana leaks, not just today, but basically what has been going on for the past few months, may all have been from Lana herself. It seems to me that she is kind of closing a chapter of her life, and that includes her past music/video creations, as well as relationships, as she moves on to the next phase of her life (probably with Barrie).

Guest Maru the Cat

Did you guys hear the ~talk~ from lanaexposed tumblr saying Lana was working on an entirely different album with Interscope and it was scrapped and the direction was changed? It's not at all a credible source (nor do I think it's true) but it's interesting to think about.

Did you guys hear the ~talk~ from lanaexposed tumblr saying Lana was working on an entirely different album with Interscope and it was scrapped and the direction was changed? It's not at all a credible source (nor do I think it's true) but it's interesting to think about.

This is an interesting thought. A Born to Die more like the demos? She's a weird one, who knows what's ever going on with her. While i believe she's a totally self-contained artist with her own vision, i also get the impression that she gets pushed around a bit by record labels, managers, and producers. What bothers me is that it really seems that she and others hold this (silly) belief that one direction/sound/style--and only one--had to be chosen and adhered to and presented to the public at large. But why? We all know that she is an incredibly diverse recording artist who does well in many genres and approaches, so why this seeming rigidness in one musical direction? What's wrong with embracing disparate influences and approaches? Was most of her old stuff only the result of trying out different things because she truly didn't know what she wanted and then realized that she wasn't into most of it? Maybe the decision comes entirely from her being eager to move away from certain things toward something more unified, but i wonder if it has to do with marketing and

wow, there is a really REALLY tiny weird bird on the tree right outside my window, this is great, bye!

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

wow, there is a really REALLY tiny weird bird on the tree right outside my window, this is great, bye!

Who are you calling tiny, SLUT? And where do you get off calling someone weird when you look like this:

photo-78.jpg?_r=1346826953

A bad sample, repeated often with unwarranted glee.

I was chatting with Madrigal the other day when no less than four birds flew into my windows in the span of an hour.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I see what you've done there, evil. Clever as always.

Additionally, i'm starting to really believe that the Auto-Tuned Loon wants to, uhm, fuck me, no?

This is an interesting thought. A Born to Die more like the demos? She's a weird one, who knows what's ever going on with her. While i believe she's a totally self-contained artist with her own vision, i also get the impression that she gets pushed around a bit by record labels, managers, and producers. What bothers me is that it really seems that she and others hold this (silly) belief that one direction/sound/style--and only one--had to be chosen and adhered to and presented to the public at large. But why? We all know that she is an incredibly diverse recording artist who does well in many genres and approaches, so why this seeming rigidness in one musical direction? What's wrong with embracing disparate influences and approaches? Was most of her old stuff only the result of trying out different things because she truly didn't know what she wanted and then realized that she wasn't into most of it? Maybe the decision comes entirely from her being eager to move away from certain things toward something more unified, but i wonder if it has to do with marketing and

That's how marketing and branding works with major labels with the marketing and business models featured around the artist as a product. In theory, the more unified the package around a product is, the easier it is to estalish a "brand". Lana's brand is doing great by the way, with H&M and Jaguar endorsements. Musicians get asked about the "sound" of their albums all the time. Producers mean a whole lot too, think of Ride with Rick Rubin (who is an industry big-wig).

Lana also has stated that marketing was one of the reasons why she pulled the LDRakaLG album. . .because 5 Points wasn't going to market the album. But also have my own conspiracies about Lana and her recording contracts.

I also think that you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the challenges in the creative process for an album. Should artists be self-reductive and go into their backlog for material? Or should they keep on creating new material? Should an album's sound be diverse or cohesive? If think it is sonically harder for artists when they decide to put out an general/diverse albums because then their team would have to be well-educated and well-versed in so many different styles. And when you specialize in a sound I think it's easier because then the artist can trailblaze in a niche. Both approaches have made great albums for various artists.

I would say the AKA album is more diverse and BTD is more unified in sound. I am actually confused about BTD because VG was the song that catapulted Lana in the spotlight, but VG is pretty unique on the album.

giffix-1.gif

That's how marketing and branding works with major labels with the marketing and business models featured around the artist as a product. In theory, the more unified the package around a product is, the easier it is to estalish a "brand". Lana's brand is doing great by the way, with H&M and Jaguar endorsements. Musicians get asked about the "sound" of their albums all the time. Producers mean a whole lot too, think of Ride with Rick Rubin (who is an industry big-wig).

Lana also has stated that marketing was one of the reasons why she pulled the LDRakaLG album. . .because 5 Points wasn't going to market the album. But also have my own conspiracies about Lana and her recording contracts.

I also think that you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the challenges in the creative process for an album. Should artists be self-reductive and go into their backlog for material? Or should they keep on creating new material? Should an album's sound be diverse or cohesive? If think it is sonically harder for artists when they decide to put out an general/diverse albums because then their team would have to be well-educated and well-versed in so many different styles. And when you specialize in a sound I think it's easier because then the artist can trailblaze in a niche. Both approaches have made great albums for various artists.

I would say the AKA album is more diverse and BTD is more unified in sound. I am actually confused about BTD because VG was the song that catapulted Lana in the spotlight, but VG is pretty unique on the album.

Very well said, greymillenium. That's the train of thought i was chasing: branding. I think it's just the name of the game when you're dealing with an artist at that level of exposure/fame. It's always easier to sell a product and the brand when there is something cohesive, easily recognizable, digestible, and, dare i say, even a little predictable about it. This conversation can easily go into the butterfly effect thing we were talking about in the Would Lana be as well-liked if she wasn’t attractive? thread. That is, we'd most likely be listening to a pretty different sounding record had she not gone the Interscope/mainstream route and been marketed a certain way.

Great point about Video Games--it's definitely the sore thumb on BTD. It seems that everything surrounding the song is just an anomaly, really.

Speaking of Rick Rubin, i still don't like what he did with the drums in the chorus of Ride. But, damn, those verses are magical. What a weird career...How does one start out with LL Cool J and Slayer and end up with Lana Del Rey 25+ years later?