fessle

Beverly Hills Hotel Cabana Cafe

I met Lana randomly, at the Beverly Hills Hotel Cabana Cafe on Thursday May 12.

I was in LA for a few concerts for my favorite singer, Lights, and it turned into a vacation. On that Thursday, May 12th, my friends and I had breakfast at the Beverly Hills Hotel Fountain Coffee Room. It was reaalll nice. Then I asked the front desk if someone could give us a tour of the hotel, so we could take pictures by the most scenic spots. Since I'm an architecture student, I just mention that and they happily show us the architectural highlights.

We saw the Frank Sinatra suite, which is about $15,000 a night and I saw a bag of weed on the table inside...it was beautiful. I said out loud, I bet Lana would love this room.

We went down by the poolside and I took some polaroids and photos and we hung out for a minute just to enjoy.

&

Lana Del Rey walks past us and I immediately recognize her and say "Lana!" and my legs were just shaking. My friend Rachel did not even notice until a few seconds later (and she didn't hear me say Lana, so either Lana ignored me or she didn't hear me) and I was just SHOOK. I could not believe that this is where I would meet Lana. Our tour guide told us he was responsible for us so that it would be inappropriate for me to go talk to her under his supervision, but he left us a couple minutes later and told us we could do whatever...haha.

We sat at a table 20 feet from LDR, drinking lemonade and eating chips and salsa. I didn't take any creeper photos because I thought that would be weird and she was just having lunch with her friend. On the polaroid I took of the pool and cabanas, I wrote "swimming pool glimmering darling... We'd love to take a polaroid with you" and asked the waitress to pass it off to which she said no, they can't do that. So we waited for Lana to finish her lunch, and then she took a picture with her friend.

When Lana got up, so did we, and as she walked towards us, I gave her the polaroid and said it had been a dream to always meet her. She looked so beautiful and so sweet. The manager (restaurant manager) then came and interrupted and said he was responsible for her and that he needed to protect her and she kept brushing him off. The first thing she said to us was "I'm not really taking pictures today." That was kind of weird because she had just taken one with her friend. This other girl and her mom tried to take a picture of her and the manager got in front of the camera, and Lana said no pictures again. She asked me if I wanted her to keep the polaroid still and I said um yeah it's for you lol. She hugged me and my two friends, as well as this other girl and asked us where we were from, where we had seen her... So she showed some sort of interest but she didn't really engage in any conversation, at all. Like "Where are you from?" "Chicago" "Oh cool" Since we couldn't take any pictures with her, I showed her a portrait I had drawn of her way back, and her friend said I was very talented and I don't know if Lana really said anything besides that it looked good. We hugged her again and then she asked us "Are you leaving?" when we were already on the stairs and on our way out.. haha

A few minutes later she passed us in the hotel hallway and said "How are you?" and kept walking without stopping.

Overall it was kinda bizarre and I have no pictures to show for this encounter, but hey, I met Lana Del Rey in LA. This experience was so authentic and strange I loved it tbh. I am glad I got to meet her, and hug her twice, it was surreal. She looked beautiful, with her chipped tooth and she smelled so sweet.

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18

If she was there with a friend, she probably didn't want to annoy them by making them wait around while she talks to fans, takes pictures and so on. I'm guessing that's why she was probably not spending as much time with you guys. Or she was just in a rush to go somewhere afterwards. Plus, it sounds like there was some pressure from her management to not take photos with fans. Who knows? At least she acknowledged you at all and talked to you for a little, some celebrities just completely ignore their fans. All in all, great you got to meet her, and I think for a lot of people meeting their fave is a bit short-lived. (Probably because we all want to spend another hour with them lol)

If she was there with a friend, she probably didn't want to annoy them by making them wait around while she talks to fans, takes pictures and so on. I'm guessing that's why she was probably not spending as much time with you guys. Or she was just in a rush to go somewhere afterwards. Plus, it sounds like there was some pressure from her management to not take photos with fans. Who knows? At least she acknowledged you at all and talked to you for a little, some celebrities just completely ignore their fans. All in all, great you got to meet her, and I think for a lot of people meeting their fave is a bit short-lived. (Probably because we all want to spend another hour with them lol)

Her friend seemed cool with it, but yeah I totally acknowledge that she could have just ignored us and left after saying hello. It is true she was nice, and overall it was unexpected, random, and it cost me nothing. I am glad we met, but obviously wish she had been different. But it was surreal, good&bad. 

BVT4uKe.jpg   
8/1/13 . 8/2/13 . 5/16/14 . 10/4/14 . 10/11/14 . 5/30/15 . 7/28/16 . 5/20/17 . 1/11/18 . 2/11/18

Maybe she became really inspired during her meal and she had to leave quick so she could work on something (possibly a song) before she lost this inspiration :flutter:

I'm obviously joking and don't believe in what I just said, but I don't think she had any ill intentions for leaving so early/being blunt

I believe you! It's awesome to hear about Lana encounters on here. It sucks that you couldn't get a photo. This story makes me not want to meet Lana lol, but regardless, I'm happy you did and gave us the details!

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

If I cross path with someone I know, I go say "hello, how are you, it's been a while, you look great, it was nice to see you, lets give each other a call one day" and I say hello to the person who's with that friend and I introduce myself. It takes 15-30 seconds, because I don't want to make the companion feel left out. I'm not saying that's what you should have done, but it's hard to know if you were bothering them by interrupting them, because they have manners, they won't tell you straight up to fuck off.

The staff indicated you three time that it was not really appropriate. They don't want fans to take pictures of celebrities on their property so they can keep some kind of privacy and decency and other regular clients don't want their favorite spot to become a circus, even though you were polite and discrete, the staff don't have time to analyze you to know if you can behave or not and if she will be receptive or not.

Despite this, she hugged you twice, you lucky man! She didn't want to take a picture with a fan probably to respect the hotel policy. And she talked to you again in the hallway, short and sweet, again probably to respect the hotel rules. She doesn't want to get barred! ;)

I don't know what tone she had when she said "are you leaving?". Who knows maybe it meant she was fine with chit chat outside, in the parking lot or something. That's how I would have interpreted it, but since I haven't heard the tone, I can't tell.

I'm totally over it now that she was vacant and not so interested but when someone tells you it has been a dream to meet you...wouldn't you show some sort of appreciation?

What would you wanted her to say? Thank you? Awwww? Me too? lol! She doesn't think she's that great and she has difficulty receiving compliments sometimes, from what I saw. It must be bizarre to have someone approaching you, knowing so many things about you, loving you so much, but you have no idea who that person his and you cannot really reciprocate. Uncomfortable situation. There's nothing to say, really...

She looked beautiful, even with her chipped tooth

What about her nose and toe hairs?

Well think about the amount of fans that must have approached her over the years, it probably gets really old, especially for an introvert like Lana. She probably didn't intend to come off as rude or anything, but it's something that happened to her so many times and she's just sick of constantly being interrupted, even if you're super polite about it. 

I met with her after she had lunch, as she was leaving. I don't know what it's like to be the celebrity, just the fan.

I know she isn't expected nor obliged to meet anyone--and the fact she did stop and brush away the hotel management was generous of her to do, when she really didn't have to do anything besides just respond with hello.

As a fan, I was obviously a bit disappointed because I expected meeting her to be like magic; it was, but different.

I am of course happy I did get to meet her, in fucking LA no less, RANDOMLY. I just hadn't imagined it would go down this way, and taking a photo or signing something would have taken a few seconds longer in my mind.

I feel like this scenario with me replaced with anyone else would draw the same excitement/disappointment duality. I wasn't pushy and I wasn't demanding or crazy so I'm glad it was chill and it happened nonetheless.

"It must be bizarre to have someone approaching you, knowing so many things about you, loving you so much, but you have no idea who that person his and you cannot really reciprocate"

True.

BVT4uKe.jpg   

I met Lana randomly, at the Beverly Hills Hotel Cabana Cafe on Thursday May 12.

I was in LA for a few concerts for my favorite singer, Lights, and it turned into a vacation. On that Thursday, May 12th, my friends and I had breakfast at the Beverly Hills Hotel Fountain Coffee Room. It was reaalll nice. Then I asked the front desk if someone could give us a tour of the hotel, so we could take pictures by the most scenic spots. Since I'm an architecture student, I just mention that and they happily show us the architectural highlights.

We saw the Frank Sinatra suite, which is about $15,000 a night and I saw a bag of weed on the table inside...it was beautiful. I said out loud, I bet Lana would love this room.

We went down by the poolside and I took some polaroids and photos and we hung out for a minute just to enjoy.

Lo

&

Behold...

Lana Del Rey walks past us and I immediately recognize her and say "Lana!" and my legs were just shaking. My friend Rachel did not even notice until a few seconds later (and she didn't hear me say Lana, so either Lana ignored me or she didn't hear me) and I was just SHOOK. I could not believe that this is where I would meet Lana. Our tour guide told us he was responsible for us so that it would be inappropriate for me to go talk to her under his supervision, but he left us a couple minutes later and told us we could do whatever...haha.

We sat at a table 20 feet from Ms. Del Rey, drinking lemonade and eating chips and salsa. I didn't take any creeper photos because I thought that would be weird and she was just having lunch with her friend. On the polaroid I took of the pool and cabanas, I wrote "swimming pool glimmering darling... We'd love to take a polaroid with you" and asked the waitress to pass it off to which she said no, they can't do that. So we waited for Lana to finish her lunch, and then she took a picture with her friend.

When Lana got up, so did we, and as she walked towards us, I gave her the polaroid and said it had been a dream to always meet her. She looked so beautiful and so sweet. The manager (restaurant manager) then came and interrupted and said he was responsible for her and that he needed to protect her and she kept brushing him off. The first thing she said to us was "I'm not really taking pictures today." That was kind of weird because she had just taken one with her friend. This other girl and her mom tried to take a picture of her and the manager got in front of the camera, and Lana said no pictures again. She asked me if I wanted her to keep the polaroid still and I said um yeah it's for you lol. She hugged me and my two friends, as well as this other girl and asked us where we were from, where we had seen her... So she showed some sort of interest but she didn't really engage in any conversation, at all. Like "Where are you from?" "Chicago" "Oh cool" Since we couldn't take any pictures with her, I showed her a portrait I had drawn of her way back, and her friend said I was very talented and I don't know if Lana really said anything besides that it looked good. I hugged her again and then she asked us "Are you leaving?" and that seemed really rude given that we were already on the stairs and on our way out because she didn't really want to take pictures or say anything else. So we left. 

A few minutes later she passed us in the hotel hallway and said "How are you?" and kept walking without stopping.

Overall it was pretty bizarre and I have no pictures to show for this encounter, but hey, I met Lana Del Rey in the land of gods and monsters. I had never expected to meet Lana, much less in LA, but this experience was so authentic and bizarre I don't even care. I am glad I got to meet her, and hug her twice, but it was surreal. I'm totally over it now that she was vacant and not so interested but when someone tells you it has been a dream to meet you...wouldn't you show some sort of appreciation?

Idc if you all believe me or not, my friends and I experienced this and it was very much real despite seeming surreal. She looked beautiful, even with her chipped tooth, and she smelled so sweet. I wish she had been more receptive. Lol.

its not weird for her to say no pictures.. i have a friend who met her before near her back then apartment, and she was like "I'm not really looking my best today no pictures haha.. " 

but congrats on getting to see god in person xD sorry she didn't let u take a pic.. thats always a little disappointing to ur expectations 

tumblr_mxk6xrLiob1r4y0tco1_500.gif Instagram: pxpi_gringo

Sorry if this sounds nasty but- it sounds like you were in her face so to say and that isn't cool.

Probably you would have gotten a better reception had you been outside the hotel when she left the hotel (or in the parking lot), like one would expect a fan to be waiting.

Talking to someone while she is sitting with a friend eating/drinking at a table is well, downright rude.

​It also, to me in the way this is described, sounds very stalkerish  In that first she passed you by the pool (and in reality, you don't say, but where you staying at the hotel? Or did you just go there to eat

and then somehow find your way to the pool. (Most hotels one has to be staying to even be in the pool area.)

(and note- it wasn't her management, it was the hotel's that it seems like 4 times (or was it 5) you were told it wasn't appropriate.

There are certain unwritten rules (along with written rules) and well, too many were broken here.

And when you showed her a sketch you had made, well, to a celebrity (and an outside observer) that looks like you were specifically there and it was somewhere you shouldn't have been.

(why would someone have a sketch or photo of a celebrity with them if they weren't specifically looking/waiting for that person?)

btw- it wasn't her management, it was the hotels.

and it sounds like she went out of her way to be nice even though the situation didn't call for it.

What more do you want???

(also, putting the name of the hotel down will, obviously, lead others to wait there and that will lead others to wait, and so on and so on, and soon it will be known that it is a place one shouldn't go

if one is a celebrity. It just isn't cool. (Which is also on the minds of the manager of the hotel and the hotel staff.)

I am sorry, but the OP post sounds very bitter, instead of thinking wow.

BTW- a polaroid? In 2016?

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

She's not forced to acknowledge you or give anything to you. You approached her in her private life and even though I can somehow understand you why you did it, you should be happy about the contact you had. You interrupted her privacy and she was polite. She's not owing you ANYTHING, so stop acting as if you are a poor neglected fan.

It's so annoying that within many fanbases people think they are free to harass their star whenever they see them and that it's ok to behave super obsessive without considering how creepy this may come off for the star. If you are a fan you should RESPECT the person.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Don't worry about the people berating you, you didn't do anything abnormal. Sometimes people imposing on her has resulted in photos, sometimes it doesn't. Given how she appears to behave with fans at venues it wasn't unreasonable for you to request a photograph. Plenty of people have seen her and hesitated to approach and probably still regret it to this day, we all know it can pay off to be a little pushy in these situations.

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

@fessle, you behaved decently. Any fucking celebrity who earn their absurd living from selling songs, movies etc. have to understand this. That's not implying that they do not have the right to a private life but they have to acknowledge the limitations that come with being a celebrity. No one force them to take that route and no one force them to stay in the business. Lana has a strange personality anyway so you shouldn't be surprised by her random behavior. She sometimes kisses fans on their mouth and in other situations she's vacant.

I’m not as interested in flip-floppers

it's so confusing to me.. it sounds like you're talking about a complete different person that the one i met. she stayed with us for over an hour and wouldn't stop talking till ben pulled her inside the hotel enton.gif

it's kind of sad since she took photos with a lot of fans in la a few weeks ago.. 

i76mrxw.png