sparklrtrailrheaven

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant  

253 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lana Del Ray AKA Lizzy Grant?

• Kill Kill
    • Queen of the Gas Station
    • Oh Say Can You See
    • Gramma (Blue Ribbon Sparkler Trailer Heaven)
    • For K Part 2
    • Jump
    • Mermaid Motel
    • Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)
    • Pawn Shop Blues
    • Brite Lites
    • Put Me in a Movie (Little Girls)
    • Smarty
    • Yayo

I've really come to appreciate the Lizzy Grant persona over the past year or so. The AKA album is so good, but so incredibly unique and quirky. There is no other music close to it. Lana also has a shitload of unreleased songs that were written (I'm assuming) when she saw herself more as Lizzy Grant. The songs were so batshit crazy (in lyrics and how she sang them), and they were a lot more pop and rough around the edges, but that's what made them so fun and unique. I love Lana and how she's matured both musically and personally, and I like that we're getting bits of a Lizzy sound in some of her newer songs nowadays, but I really do miss the Lizzy persona. I miss the quirky, wild, crazy, immature, upbeat, badass, arrogant white trash version of Lana. Lana still never fails to impress me musically (I'm absolutely in love with Venice Bitch), but I would love to see what she would come up with channeling Lizzy nowadays. I don't think she's released an upbeat song since AKA, except maybe Florida Kilos.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I've really come to appreciate the Lizzy Grant persona over the past year or so. The AKA album is so good, but so incredibly unique and quirky. There is no other music close to it. Lana also has a shitload of unreleased songs that were written (I'm assuming) when she saw herself more as Lizzy Grant. The songs were so batshit crazy (in lyrics and how she sang them), and they were a lot more pop and rough around the edges, but that's what made them so fun and unique. I love Lana and how she's matured both musically and personally, and I like that we're getting bits of a Lizzy sound in some of her newer songs nowadays, but I really do miss the Lizzy persona. I miss the quirky, wild, crazy, immature, upbeat, badass, arrogant white trash version of Lana. Lana still never fails to impress me musically (I'm absolutely in love with Venice Bitch), but I would love to see what she would come up with channeling Lizzy nowadays. I don't think she's released an upbeat song since AKA, except maybe Florida Kilos .

Lolita

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

I've really come to appreciate the Lizzy Grant persona over the past year or so. The AKA album is so good, but so incredibly unique and quirky. There is no other music close to it. Lana also has a shitload of unreleased songs that were written (I'm assuming) when she saw herself more as Lizzy Grant. The songs were so batshit crazy (in lyrics and how she sang them), and they were a lot more pop and rough around the edges, but that's what made them so fun and unique. I love Lana and how she's matured both musically and personally, and I like that we're getting bits of a Lizzy sound in some of her newer songs nowadays, but I really do miss the Lizzy persona. I miss the quirky, wild, crazy, immature, upbeat, badass, arrogant white trash version of Lana. Lana still never fails to impress me musically (I'm absolutely in love with Venice Bitch), but I would love to see what she would come up with channeling Lizzy nowadays. I don't think she's released an upbeat song since AKA, except maybe Florida Kilos.

It is interesting that you view Lizzy Grant as a persona. Elizabeth Grant is her real name, I assumed Lizzy Grant was the real her at the time, then as she matured she grew into Lana Del Ray.

You are right though. There is no music like hers out there sadly.

It is interesting that you view Lizzy Grant as a persona. Elizabeth Grant is her real name, I assumed Lizzy Grant was the real her at the time, then as she matured she grew into Lana Del Ray.

You are right though. There is no music like hers out there sadly.

I see Lana/Lizzy/Elizabeth (whoever she is) as a story writer using her life. I honestly see her more as the quiet, weird, quirky girl who kept to herself and kinda lived in her own fantasy world growing up. I think she grew interested in the themes we see during the Lizzy Grant period (crazy, wild, Lolita, white trash, etc.) and she created a persona out of that and tried to do her best to live that out of pure interest in those themes. Then, when that wasn't gaining enough popularity and after pressure from her label, she had to try to reinvent herself again, which led to the creation of the Lana that was formed in Born to Die. Some of the themes from the Lizzy era continued or evolved, but instead of being the wild, quirky, white trash Lolita, she became the dark, dramatic, desperate, high-class, vintage depressed girl in Born to Die. The LDR persona has evolved since then (less Lolita references, less high-class, less depressing), and now she seems to be bouncing around between jazz, rock, vintage, and hip hop-inspired, while dark, dramatic, and vintage remain the recurring themes. Since LDR was the persona she got famous for, she's stuck with it. Who knows how much of that persona is her true personality, but she herself has admitted to writing about things she never experienced and admitted BTD Lana was a persona if i recall correctly.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I couldn't agree more.

As the world's premier Lizzy Grant stan, I think you summed it up so well :heart:

o4qjp4j.png

I've just read an interview of her from 2011 that gives info of how it was working with David Kahne.

“How was it working with David Kahne [The Strokes, Regina Spector, Paul McCartney] on your debut? He has a background in replicating bygone eras.

LDR: It was validating when David asked to work with me, only a day after he got my demo. He has known as a producer with a lot integrity and who had an interest in making music that wasn't just pop.

In terms of instruction, what was Kahne's input?

LDR: He had a lot of things he wanted done. For example, he was interested in a more traditional vocal style and I wasn't. He's also a real scientist, so he had a very particular plan. The album ended up somewhere in between what he wanted and what I wanted." - Interview by The Quietus, October 4th, 2011

Also this :toofunny:

"In an interview with Pitchfork you said that people have offered you opportunities in exchange for sleeping with them. Is this true? At the corporate level?

LDR: [Laughs, then becomes tongue-tied]

I mean... uh... uh... I mean things get a little crazy, I guess.

Um... There are some situations when you kind of know.

... I mean, it's sort of a loaded question."

8nl2OpX.png

I've just read an interview of her from 2011 that gives info of how it was working with David Kahne.

“How was it working with David Kahne [The Strokes, Regina Spector, Paul McCartney] on your debut? He has a background in replicating bygone eras.

LDR: It was validating when David asked to work with me, only a day after he got my demo. He has known as a producer with a lot integrity and who had an interest in making music that wasn't just pop.

In terms of instruction, what was Kahne's input?

LDR: He had a lot of things he wanted done. For example, he was interested in a more traditional vocal style and I wasn't. He's also a real scientist, so he had a very particular plan. The album ended up somewhere in between what he wanted and what I wanted." - Interview by The Quietus, October 4th, 2011

Also this :toofunny:

"In an interview with Pitchfork you said that people have offered you opportunities in exchange for sleeping with them. Is this true? At the corporate level?

LDR: [Laughs, then becomes tongue-tied]

I mean... uh... uh... I mean things get a little crazy, I guess.

Um... There are some situations when you kind of know.

... I mean, it's sort of a loaded question."

ooooh, link?

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

Can she just officially drop AKA? Like as Lana Del Rey / Lana Del Ray / Lizzy Grant whoever... I just want an official pressing.

We don't know how she feels about the fact that people even have it. She's like barely ever acknowledged it besides Yayo. And the fact that she's talked a lot about having a hard life before fame I feel like there could be some sour memories associated with AKA for her.  Obviously I don't know that for sure.

Interesting point, I remember when she did the livestream last summer talking about the unreleased songs she would put out - a fan said Kill Kill and she was kinda like awkward and said "funny" or something.  :toofunny:

The fact that she has owned the rights to the album since 2012 and hasn't done anything suggests there's a reason she doesn't want people to acknowledge the project. Like let's be honest the lyrics and storytelling isn't far off any of her other Lana Del Rey personified songs?

Strange that this interview took place after the success of Video Games (and I presume around the time she got signed and started recording Born To Die) yet they still referred to AKA as her debut and asked about the recording process of that album? Surely the label were wanting to present and push Born To Die as her debut album...

I just feel like AKA wouldn't be brought up in an interview these days...

Can she just officially drop AKA? Like as Lana Del Rey / Lana Del Ray / Lizzy Grant whoever... I just want an official pressing.

Interesting point, I remember when she did the livestream last summer talking about the unreleased songs she would put out - a fan said Kill Kill and she was kinda like awkward and said "funny" or something. :toofunny:

The fact that she has owned the rights to the album since 2012 and hasn't done anything suggests there's a reason she doesn't want people to acknowledge the project. Like let's be honest the lyrics and storytelling isn't far off any of her other Lana Del Rey personified songs?

I actually don't believe that she's ashamed of it or that she doesn't want to acknowledge it.

I think she just doesn't feel the need to go back to her older material, she's been so prolific in making new music that she just really wants to keep evolving and not stop on a project that she was working on for a couple of years and than got shelved some extra 3 years, she probably felt like she was beating a dead horse.

I'm actually quite surprised that she reworked Yayo for Paradise, I just can't imagine Lana doing the same again.

Strange that this interview took place after the success of Video Games (and I presume around the time she got signed and started recording Born To Die) yet they still referred to AKA as her debut and asked about the recording process of that album? Surely the label were wanting to present and push Born To Die as her debut album...

I just feel like AKA wouldn't be brought up in an interview these days...

Well kind of, BTD is indeed her major debut on a major label, but this interview is from 2011 so the LDR mistery was still unraveling, plus I think that AKA + Unreleased + Released Tracks were the only thing that Lana had done by then so it would be a major thing to ask imho.

8nl2OpX.png

I actually don't believe that she's ashamed of it or that she doesn't want to acknowledge it.

I think she just doesn't feel the need to go back to her older material, she's been so prolific in making new music that she just really wants to keep evolving and not stop on a project that she was working on for a couple of years and than got shelved some extra 3 years, she probably felt like she was beating a dead horse.

I'm actually quite surprised that she reworked Yayo for Paradise, I just can't imagine Lana doing the same again.

I mean, you could be right. I guess only Lana knows haha. I think Yayo was just really personal to her, I mean she still performs it now. 

Anyways we all know once she retires or dies the label will cash in with AKA and all the other unreleased music.

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I think the placement of Pawn Shop Blues on the tracklist is really odd especially being followed by Brite Lites. I feel like it would fit better behind Yayo.

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

Okay I found the girl and she said

“I feel like I’m annoying locals with so many response tweets but she did sign it! And I said “I’m not sure how you feel about that one so u don’t have to sign it” and she said “I don’t know how I feel either but you’re the one person I’ll sign it for so let’s do it” and that I’m the only person who has it signed haha”

Joke's on her because she signed mine back in February :teehee:  

tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif

LMAO when she said that i was thinking 1) that's a lie or  2) she's just saying it to be nice

Haha, it was apparent she didn't wanna sign mine. She walked by it twice when she was signing stuff in the pit, but I kept shouting that I'd been camping out since 10 the night before and she finally grabbed it after she took a selfie with the girl next to me. :hooker:

tumblr_m9qygi5S6s1rdc44xo1_500.gif

I don't know if anyone else feels this way but I think the placement of Pawn Shop Blues on the tracklist is really odd especially being followed by Brite Lites. I feel like it would fit better behind Yayo.

i kinda think that she was going for the "i dont have any money, put me in a movie" thing with this. I DONT MIND LIVING ON BREAD AND ORANGES NO NO/GIVE ME THE BRITE LITES/PUT ME IN A MOVIE 

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

that's the ONLY problem I've ever had w AKA -- the arrangement of the tracklist is a little off. like, sonically, the gapless flow is great, but the placement just feels off.

i think that the original arrangement of the tracklist that eclipse has teased, w For K p2 as opener and Mermaid Motel as closer, might sound a lot better

o4qjp4j.png