BlueJeans

A debut single for each album !

large.jpg

I was wondering: if you could choose a debut single from every Lana album as if that album was the very first she ever put out, what would it be ? The song can't be the first single off that album, too.

So basically, each time : Lana is a new artist. What song are you going for ?

Born To Die: "Born To Die". It really introduces the album, the era, the sonic vision etc...

Paradise: "American". Although I love this song, I feel that it may be a bit weak for a debut single but I think the melody could have been very catchy for radios and Lana's universe is well transcribed in it.

Ultraviolence: "Florida Kilos" : while not necessarily translating the atmosphere of the album, it's a certified bop while being quite unique making me think that people could have been intrigued. But this is a tricky one... 

Honeymoon: This album doesn't have a lot of songs that could thrill radio stations, imo (which doesn't mean they're bad, far from that). I guess "Salvatore" has the best formula. 

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

BTD: Born to Die because musically it really sets the tone for the whole album

Paradise: Cola because it's really catchy imo, especially the first line of the song

UV: I honestly don't know cuz WC was really good choice for a debut single. It's a tie between Shades of Cool, Sad  Girl or MPG. 

HM: Music To Watch Boys To

Off to the Races could've been even bigger as a debut single than Video Games. It introduces Lana/Born to Die immediately. Video Games was the most different track on the record.

Off to the Races could've been even bigger as a debut single than Video Games. It introduces Lana/Born to Die immediately. Video Games was the most different track on the record.

Video Games and Summertimes Sadness however were the undeniable smash hits on the album. Off To The Races could have been a nice fourth single or Radio would have even been better.

Video Games was the right choice for the lead for BTD.

Paradise? Idk, the EP is not very good anyway, but Ride was probably the right choice.

UV: Brooklyn Baby with a shorter edit.

HM: High By The Beach was the only option. Except for Salvatore there ain't a another potential hit on the record. The latter she and her label have completly ignored.

Okay, I tried:

BTD - Born to Die had potential and it was a good album introduction :) .

Off to The Races and Diet Mountain Dew had potential, but maybe just for radio. Carmen and Dark Paradise could have had music videos, maybe.

Paradise - Ride was the best choice, definitely.

Cola had potential for the second single and Body Electric could have been a single too, but I don't think it would fit with Ride and Cola being singles  :eek:  (fortunately, we have Tropico  :pray2: ). American could have played in the radio (Be young, be dope, be proud like an american  :bliss: )

UV - Ultraviolence (controversy=attention).

Brooklyn Baby had potential, but maybe not for the lead single. Florida Kilos and FMWUTTT had potential to be singles if it wasn't about drugs and about fucking to reach the top  :eek: (plus don't would fit the story the music videos tell).

HM - Salvatore had potential and it could have been a good introduction, I think.

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

They're all kinda spot on actually. But since she didn't promo Honeymoon anyway I wish she wouldn't have wasted a single/video on HBTB and instead gone with Terrence Loves You

Born To Die: Born To Die or Blue Jeans

Paradise: Ride Cola could've been cool, too

Ultraviolence: West Coast

Honeymoon: High By The Beach

So besides Video Games, which wasn't even meant to be a single, I think they always chose the right one. 

large.jpg

BTW, I love this pic!

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Born To Die: National Anthem. It's perfect, it has all the great qualities. The visuals, the theme, the sound. Literal perfection. (or Off to the Races honestly)

Paradise Edition: Gods & Monsters. There was a lot to be done with this song, that she didn't. So I'm obviously hurt.

Ultraviolence: Florida Kilos for obvious reasons.

Honeymoon:...... honestly most were snores(I love them but snores) soooo single wise this was hard. So Blackest Day. (btw I'm not saying slow songs dont make airplay, I'm just saying Lana has a different type of slow.)

BTD: Born to Die, because like others have said, it introduces both the record and lana very well

Paradise: Besides Ride, no other song could be a lead single, maybe Body Electric

UV: Brooklyn Baby, its one of the best on the record and could introduce lana pretty well

HM: Music To Watch Boys To because i feel like it sums up what HM is all about

Honestly Lana made right choice every time. So Born to Die (Video Games), Ride, West Coast, High By the Beach.  Since each single represents different sound and era for Lana. She should make the boldest choices to attract new people. 

Born to Die: Born to Die definitely, it was the first Lana song I heard and the one that got me obsessed with her

Paradise: Gods & Monsters

Ultraviolence: This one is hard, but I have to go with Brooklyn Baby, but that's my favorite Lana song so maybe I'm biased

Honeymoon: Freak, I feel like that's probably the most commercial song on that album after HBTB?

giphy.gif

Born to Die : Blue Jeans or Off to the Races

Paradise : Gods and Monsters, I think this was a good "creation myth" direction she went into Tropico with and that would've been awesome.

UV : Is This Happiness?, Florida Kilos or Brooklyn Baby

Honeymoon : Terrence Loves You (the Bowie reference could've heightened in the visuals) + Art Deco

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1