Hundred Dollar Bill

SEVDALIZA

Beautiful album. I don't know all the songs by name yet but I love Bluecid and Loves Way. I hadn't listened to Marilyn Monroe in a while, I forgot how beautiful this song is. 

I expected more than one sentence repeating in "Angel".

Album overall is 10/10 for me. There's nothing I'd change, except for the "Angel" and I'd add Deluxe Edition too, with maybe adding "Time" and "The Other Girl" among the new songs

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro

Bought it on Itunes and I LOVE IT! Here is my first-listen review

"Shahmaran" is a wonderful album intro. I though "Underneath" was nice, but the rework definitly improved it A LOT: It immediatly drags you into the universe of ISON, it feels really intense and I love the slightly heavier vibe the vocals have. The slight changes in production made the track a lot more exciting and dramatic and the slightly middle-eastern vibe of it perfectly fits the new name for the track, which is lend from a goddess from said territory. 5/5

"Libertine"  gives off really heavy Massive Attack vibes. It feels a bit ~lighter after the pretty impressive intro and I love the beat progression and the slightly urban feeling it has. For some reason it feels a bit short though. 4/5

"Marilyn Monroe" is still one of my favourite track by her. The emotion in her voice and the simple, yet super effective vocals always crack me up.  I feel that it fits a bit better with the Children Of Silk EP though. The slightly delayed beat, the piano chords and the way her vocals blend into the strings during the 'chorus' is just perfect. I'M a huge Portishead fan and this track definitly has a similar appeal, although being pretty different at the same time.I would have loved it if she would have changed the second verse on the album version like she does it live. 5/5

"Hubris" is one of the most exciting songs on this album. Those dramatic, dark and almost threatening synths it starts with, the wonderful percussion that definitly competes Portishead's beats... I feel like I'm overusing the word but .. well, it's perfect. The placement right after "Marilyn Monroe" makes it shine even more, both the sounds, vibes and lyrics contrast in such a perfect way. The track name referring a sinful arrogance from the greek mythology is pure genius. 5/5

"Amandine Insensible" feels like an old friend. It's an extremely well executed track, I love how it changes between a pretty emotional and a quite ambient feeling. Again, this reminds me a bit of Portishead. 5/5

"Hero" really grew a lot on me since it's release. It has this pretty fragile, cold feeling attached to it, that reminds me a slightly bit of the production on Bjork's 'Homogenic'. One of the best moment is the last chorus, with the loop of the disorted vocals spinning on and on for a while, before the track has it's final breakdown. 4/5

"Scarlette" has a similar vibe as "Libertine". Again, the percussion is done in a great way. I lvoe her humming, it gives the track a slightly orientalic feeling. I really liek the breakdown in the middle of the song and the outro. Even though being far away from being "upbeat", this track is definitly one of the less heavy and more accessible ones (although still being far away from the tracks on The Suspended Kids) 3,5/5

"Bluecid" is yet another track reminding me of Massive Attack. It's pretty ambient and atmospheric. I think it's a bit weaker than other tracks on the album with a similar formula. 3/5

"Loves Way" is a bit calmer than most of the tracks. It's pretty intimate and emotional in a much less dramatic way. Probably a big grower, however I can't really appreciate it as much as the other tracks on this album at this point. 3/5

"Human" is an extremely effective track. The production is done in such a smart way, I love how meaningful her delivery is. The reversed-vocals part gets me everytime and the outro of the song keeps giving me the chills.  5/5

"Do You Feel Real" is goosebumps put into music. The sinister sound, her whispering speaking voice, the way her voice gets disorted and changes from being the protagonist and the narrator ... It reminds me a bit of an old cassette of Disney's "Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs" I had as a child - the part where the Evil Queen transformed into a hag had a similar kind of vibe.

it's such a great great great Interlude. It's actually far too good to be actually called an interlude, especially with the last half of it where the beat compeats with the orchestral instruments. 5/5

"The Language Of Limbo" is definitly a big HIGHLIGHT of the album. I'm glad she decided to put it on there. It's actually quite stripped back for a Sevdaliza song, yet it's super intense at the same moment. Her vocal delivery is on par and I realyl love the simple, mantra-esque nature of the lyrics. The way the track keeps on spinning within itself, seemingly leaving the "Limbo" but then falling back ... extremely welldone. 5/5

"Replaceable" channels Nina Simone. The bass-strings are great, the percussion sounds so laid back and her vocals are super-jazzy. I also really love the lyrics. 5/5

"Grace" manages to mix up a very dramatic, orchestrated cinematic sound with some almost tropical beats. I especially love the strings in the background of the chorus. Her vocal presence is incredible aswell. The song feels pretty close to "Shahmaran" for some reason. 4/5

"When I Reside" is a pretty nice conclusion for the album. It still has it's dark moments, but generally it has this peaceful, dremay and yet again super orchestral feeling. It feels much more interlude-esque than "Do You Feel Real" though. 3/5

"Angel" is a beautiful outro, it has the same peaceful, beautiful vibe "When I Reside" has (even though the lyrics aren't really that peaceful). I like the slightly more down-to-earth vibe, I'm super positive this is a big grower and I need to come back to listen to it more carefully, but for now I can't really feel the same excitement for it as for other songs. 3,5/5

I've yet to fully explore the album and grasp the concept behind it, however  I think it's a greta release, if not the best one of this year (or decade?).

I've waited for an artist like Sevdaliza so long and I'm glad she graced us with her art today. Her formula of combining dark, cold, vulnerable and fragile soundscapes with warm, ambient and relaxing ones is extremely well done, her production (especially her way of tampering with her voice) and the beats she uses are on par. She is a wonderful vocalist aswell. I love how she reminds me a lot of all those legendary 90 TripHop albums/artists, while still being super creative and innovative at the same time.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

Loves Way is a bit of a mess. Minimal music at the start, beat finally kicks in and stops after a short while and then replaced by some man talking for 2 minutes.....ugh.

it it was shorter and without the man talking i would prefer it more, but still i really like the singing part

I actually love the speech in Loves Way. It made me really emotional. If the song had just been her singing like that for 6+ minutes I'd be really bored.

With that being said, it's still getting skipped when it comes up on shuffle. :^)

It's a nice song, just one of the bottom-tier I guess lol.

Listening to the album all the way through was pretty nice. I usually do that once or twice and then focus on whatever I like. Angel is very skippable too, which was a little disappointing for an album closer.. but it's ok. :ohno: :$

14417469274.gif

Angel is boring and way too repetitive

Grace sounds like a demo for the original version

and I just dont like Libertine

The rest of the album is amazing though. These are the only tracks that kind of disappointed me