Mafiosa

King Krule (Archy Marshall)

king-krule-3.jpg

From Wikipedia:

Archy Marshall (born 24 August 1994), more commonly known by his stage name King Krule, is an English singer-songwriter, producer and musician. After a hectic and troubled childhood, he began recording music in 2010 under the moniker "Zoo Kid". The following year he adopted the name "King Krule". He has released several EPs, and his debut full-length album, 6 Feet Beneath the Moon, came out in 2013 to positive reviews. His music is difficult to classify, with elements of various genres like punk jazzhip hopdarkwave, and trip hop.

Many reviewers and journalists have noted King Krule's unusual transcendence and appropriation of disparate genres. His music has been described mainly with jazz derivatives such as punk jazz and jazz fusionbut also as darkwave, post-punk, and hip hopWriters have also noted elements of trip hop, jazz rap, and dub in individual songs of his. Jason Lymangrover of Allmusic states that his songs are mainly in the form of ballads with major seventh chords, but by contrast there is also a "grittiness" to Archy's voice and persona, portraying him as "the type of kid who would be quick to throw a punch without asking questions."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvP7sZWvyrg

His newest album LP, "A New Place 2 Drown" (2015) has a lot of hip hop influence and it's truly so so good.

I love his song "Baby Blue" it's so pretty :heart:

Edit: oh and his song with Mount Kimbie "You Took Your Time" such a cool song!

He has such a distinct voice. I'll really have to check out his other songs :)

tumblr_o0nocyD6zu1rvt47eo1_400.gif

living for these closet archy stans :oprah:

i've been listening to it a LOT & i personally think "a new place to drown" is such a unique album, incorporating so much hip hop into an album that is alternative in its roots

Under Construction

Londoner Archy Marshall (born 24 August 1994) has been tinkering with music equipment and creating his own sound since he was just a kid.
Even though he mixes and records his songs on just his own laptop and was making music just for fun, he quickly earned an online following. In 2011 he released an EP under his new stage name, King Krule (formerly Zoo Kid) and his unique sound has caught the attention of the indie music scene.

With past stage names DJ JD Sports and Edgar the Beatmaker, he chose the name King Krule (which cames from the Elvis film ‘King Creole’) because it conjures an image of «aristocracy at the very bottom.»

tumblr_p2exgpl8wv1wwhc3do1_540.png

Archy's Discography

Released as Zoo Kid

$QUALITY — Digital EP
2009 | Self-Release

NkkjFyS.png

1. $QUALITY
2. Easy Easy (Early Version?)
3. Stab Ur Bak
4. A&E
5. Jigsaw Falling Out Of Place
6. Broke
7. Before The Law
8. Duskin’

Studio Versions remain Unreleased / Unleaked

U.F.O.W.A.V.E — Digital LP
2010 | Self-Release

9tuEhMv.png

1. Out Getting Ribs
2. Ocean Bed
3. Baby Blue
4. A Lizard State
5. Has This Hit
6. The Wake
7. Greyscale

Uploaded to his BandCamp

Out Getting Ribs — 7" Single

2010 | House Anxiety Records

3bsx4Ec.png

A. Out Getting Ribs

B. Has This Hit

Performer, Written-By — Archy Marshall
Producer — Archy Marshall

Released as King Krule

King Krule — EP
Nov 7, 2011 | True Panther

Z56BAw4.png

1. 363N63
2. Bleak Bake
3. Portrait In Black And Blue
4. Lead Existence
5. The Noose of Jah City

Producer — Archy Marshall
Producer, Mixed By — Rodaidh McDonald
Written-By, Performer — Archy Marshall

Rock Bottom / Octopus — 7" Single
Oct 10, 2012 | House Anxiety Records

2pmrpic.png  erzmoM3.png

A. Rock Bottom

B. Octopus

Bass — James Wilson
Drums — George Bass
Guitar — Jack Towell
Producer, Engineer, Mixed By — Rodaidh McDonald
Written-By, Producer, Vocals, Guitar — Archy Marshall

Easy Easy — Single
Jul 16, 2013 | XL Recordings

78BBxRJ.png

1. Easy Easy

Engineer — Andy Ramsay
Producer — Archy Marshall, Rodaidh McDonald
Written-By — Archy Marshall

Aug 24, 2013 | XL Recordings

bkxFneh.png

1. Easy Easy
2. Border Line
3. Has This Hit?
4. Foreign 2
5. Ceiling
6. Baby Blue
7. Cementality
8. A Lizard State
9. Will I Come
10. Ocean Bed
11. Neptune Estate
12. The Krockadile
13. Out Getting Ribs
14. Bathed In Grey
15. Little Wild

• Bonus Track on the Japanese CD

Engineer — Andy Ramsay (tracks: 1, 3, 5 to 8, 10 to 14), Desmond Lambert (tracks: 5)
Producer — Archy Marshall, Rodaidh McDonald
Written-By — Archy Marshall

Sep 2, 2017 | XL Recordings

9i4DRA4.png  K7JeiQb.png

A. Dum Surfer
B. Czech One

The OOZ — LP
Oct 13, 2017 | XL Recordings

HHfuxIx.png

1. Biscuit Town
2. The Locomotive
3. Dum Surfer
4. Slush Puppy
5. Bermondsey Bosom (Left)
6. Logos
7. Sublunary
8. Lonely Blue
9. Cadet Limbo
10. Emergency Blimp
11. Czech One
12. (A Slide In) New Drugs
13. Vidual
14. Bermondsey Bosom (Right)
15. Half Man Half Shark
16. The Cadet Leaps
17. The Ooz
18. Midnight 01 (Deep Sea Diver)
19. La Lune

Co-producer — Archy Marshall, Dilip Harris
Mixed By — Dilip Harris
Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keyboards — Archy Marshall
Written-By – Archy Marshall (tracks: 1 to 3, 5 to 19), Archy Marshall and Kaya Wilkins (tracks: 4)

Released as Archy Marshall

Dec 10, 2015 | True Panther / XL Recordings

5jcz3kA.png

1. Any God of Yours
2. Swell
3. Arise Dear Brother
4. Ammi Ammi (ft. Jamie Isaac)
5. Buffed Sky
6. Sex With Nobody
7. Eyes Drift
8. The Sea Liner MK 1
9. Empty Vessels
10. New Builds
11. Dull Boys
12. Thames Water

Mixed By — Dilip Harris
Written-By, Performer, Producer — Archy Marshall

Released as Edgar The Beatmaker

DESERT — Digital Single
Jan 4, 2013 | Self-Release

q6qs5Xw.png

1. DESERT

Ode To Dunstan — Digital EP
Jan 13, 2013 | Self-Release

q6qs5Xw.png

1. 7am Smoked Salmon
1. Dr Suesskips (ft. Lank Slax & Rago Foot)
3. 4:44
4. Yam & Weave

Baby London — Digital EP
Mar 16, 2013 | Self-Release

EezfNC2.png

1. Lover Don't Wear Me
2. The Heron The Crane The Stalk
3. Two Lonely People

Darkest Shades Of Blue — Digital EP
Apr 16, 2013 | Self-Release

moRCZJu.png

2003 (with Jada Sea)
Deezle (with Jesse James & Rago Foot)
Feotus
Put It On My sSoul (with Jada Sea & MC Pinty)
MVC Bus Ridim Kila (with MVC)
Crazybass Interval
Darkest Shades Of Blue (with Jada See The Blue)

Released as DJ JD Sports

Out Getting Cribs
Jul 29, 2010

jaWb36n.png

1. Out Getting Cribs
(Early Version of 'Out Getting Ribs')

Jan 27, 2011

ennZ1NZ.png

1. 1883
(Early Version of 'Portrait In Black And Blue')

Babylons Blues
Bath 1
Being Of Life 101
Bob The Bob
Bow To S.E.
Freestyle 2012c
Greener Delphing
Indianaccordian Demo (ft. Black Mack)
Just Little
Kindom
Midnight Snack Remix (ft. Lofty 305, Jay Cee & Rago Foot)
Midnight Moods
Peace Of Piss
Pints Theme
S.K.I.T.S Remix
Smoked
Stan G
The Octopus
This Just Life Is Alright
Towelaw Demo
Upon The Break
Watching Over
Where Can You Be
Yuk (ft. Jamie Isaac & the Lank Slacks)

why does this thread get no action! we can't have so few KK stans on this forum, we simply can't :trisha:

anyways! i saw him live in manchester last night :flutter: it's the second time i've seen him, the first time was in 2017 when he toured The Ooz and that was an absolutely amazing experience. my boyfriend took me this time around which was super special bc back when we were like 16 we were king krule obsessives and every single time i listened to king krule i thought of him - when we lost contact for a few years i couldn't listen to king krule anymore bc it made me too sad :toofunny: but now that we're all grown up (25 and 26 wtf!!! :rip:) and finally together, being able to be at a king krule show with him was just craaaaazy and so magical and emotional.

i cried during Baby Blue! as i did the first time around LOL. archy sounded incredible, but my god i couldn't see a single thing LOL it was full of 6ft-whatever men!! just my luck!! but that's fine!! i mostly went for my boyfriend, since it was his first time seeing KK live. even though i couldn't see anything (and it was a venue without screens or whatever) he sounded incredible. i liked the setlist and it was quite balanced between the albums but i do think there were a few songs there notable in their absence; would've been nice to have had the full Baby Blue (he only did part of it), really hoped for Border Line since it's my boyfie's favourite song of all time, maybe something a little older and surprising like Little Wild (which i got to experience when i saw him the first time) or something like Portrait In Black and Blue or Has This Hit or Octopus or something?? but all in all, a really beautiful experience!! and what a talent he is!!

:wub:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

9 minutes ago, daphnedinkley said:

why does this thread get no action! we can't have so few KK stans on this forum, we simply can't :trisha:

anyways! i saw him live in manchester last night :flutter: it's the second time i've seen him, the first time was in 2017 when he toured The Ooz and that was an absolutely amazing experience. my boyfriend took me this time around which was super special bc back when we were like 16 we were king krule obsessives and every single time i listened to king krule i thought of him - when we lost contact for a few years i couldn't listen to king krule anymore bc it made me too sad :toofunny: but now that we're all grown up (25 and 26 wtf!!! :rip:) and finally together, being able to be at a king krule show with him was just craaaaazy and so magical and emotional.

i cried during Baby Blue! as i did the first time around LOL. archy sounded incredible, but my god i couldn't see a single thing LOL it was full of 6ft-whatever men!! just my luck!! but that's fine!! i mostly went for my boyfriend, since it was his first time seeing KK live. even though i couldn't see anything (and it was a venue without screens or whatever) he sounded incredible. i liked the setlist and it was quite balanced between the albums but i do think there were a few songs there notable in their absence; would've been nice to have had the full Baby Blue (he only did part of it), really hoped for Border Line since it's my boyfie's favourite song of all time, maybe something a little older and surprising like Little Wild (which i got to experience when i saw him the first time) or something like Portrait In Black and Blue or Has This Hit or Octopus or something?? but all in all, a really beautiful experience!! and what a talent he is!!

:wub:

Fr I didn't even know there's a King Krule thread ☠️

Super happy for you!!! Glad you enjoyed the show! He was in my country this year but i couldn't go :bebe: 

I love the new album, it feels really personal and it makes me cry too often :toofunny: Incredible production and stroyline

Seagirl has Stargirl vibes for me I love it

6 minutes ago, bluedealer said:

Fr I didn't even know there's a King Krule thread ☠️

Super happy for you!!! Glad you enjoyed the show! He was in my country this year but i couldn't go :bebe: 

I love the new album, it feels really personal and it makes me cry too often :toofunny: Incredible production and stroyline

Seagirl has Stargirl vibes for me I love it

thank you honey bun!! i agree, the new album is just gorgeous and so personal :flutter: i really feel like there should be a bigger crossover between lana fans and KK fans! i dream of them collaborating constantly :pray2:

Wq9zHLl.jpg

9 hours ago, daphnedinkley said:

thank you honey bun!! i agree, the new album is just gorgeous and so personal :flutter: i really feel like there should be a bigger crossover between lana fans and KK fans! i dream of them collaborating constantly :pray2:

I remember when Lana posted The Ooz's album cover on her @lanadelrey ig back in 2017 :worship:  she definitely knows about him. It would be amazing if he was her next producer