Jack

Melanie Martinez

It's not like the lyrics aren't painfully bleak, mediocre, and easy to understand or anything

and btw yes i respect melanies work, but she's made it very hard to appreciate the art recently.

she hasn't grown at all

I do dislike how backed into a corner the lyrics of K-12 seem. It's like, we love the themes she always commits to, but to be so literal is kinda boring because it's restrictive.

That's why I feel Crybaby was far more advanced in maturity, creativity and the range of themes. 

I think that the only way I could enjoy K-12 as much as I love CB would be if I was actually in school, like middle school, when it was released, because then I could relate on that level of actually applying everything to my daily life. 

CB may be about a toddler's wild adventures and environmental problems but it is way more applicable to everyone else floating around encountering these things at whatever age they are. I find that to make more sense, personally.

K-12 just seems like a project to fill in the gap between Crybabys story growing up to whatever Mel releases in the future which will catch up to her life now.

I agree that Cry Baby felt more nature, besides, lyrics were more universal. I got to know Melanie ever since Dollhouse music video dropped, way before Cry Baby was out -- that felt so creative and promising. Unfortunately, I don't really like the direction she took, both stylistically and musically. Don't know why, because I enjoyed a lot even Gingerbread Man and Piggyback.

original.gif

k-12 is melanie riding cry baby's wave 

k-12 just comes off as someone who just discovered twitter and then tried to write a whole movie making surface level observations about literally every social issue ever 

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

The biggest issue is that the second album has too many curse words. Unnecessarily abundant in profanities.

i don't know if you've ever seen that video of halsey covering "love yourself" by justin bieber except she replaces love with fuck for no reason, but it reminds me of melanie

157852e4da9ff5b7ec834e7a2eac795d.gif

k-12 just comes off as someone who just discovered twitter and then tried to write a whole movie making surface level observations about literally every social issue ever 

The lyrics that are supposed to bring awareness to these social issues in a clever way just come off as superficial and in-your-face, unlike the ones in cry baby. A good example would be Tag, you're it with child kidnapping and Orange Juice with bulimia.

cry baby is very natural compared to k-12 and way more relatable which is what people who listen to artists like melanie want from her and that's why a lot of people don't like with artists put social commentary in their music, unless you're a die hard stan who just eats up everything she makes. the metaphors on cry baby were genius k-12 felt like she just collected a ton of school related words and put them into a rhyme generator 

i love you, but you don't understand me.

The lyrics that are supposed to bring awareness to these social issues in a clever way just come off as superficial and in-your-face, unlike the ones in cry baby. A good example would be Tag, you're it with child kidnapping and Orange Juice with bulimia.

TW/

I always thought tag, you’re it was about r*pe?

giphy.gif