Jack

Melanie Martinez

well it’s good that y’all are liking the first album cause since play date it’s “smashing” i feel like she’s gonna pull a cry baby re release sooner or later sjksks

come to my house let's die together, friendships that would last forever

I was kinda confused when I checked my e-mail and there was some type of "Play-Date-Competition" or whatever. They're really pushing it, hun? To imagine was the one song from Cry Baby she really ignored back then... lol.

That is never explicitly said in the song, and she never said it was about that either. She just said that it's a song about kidnapping.

Yeah, the idea of Tag supposedly being about that was people exaggerating because they were weirded out by Melanie's cute/baby image. 

:sluttybunny:🌧️

Here's an interview from a few days ago incase anyone wasn't aware. She's working on music videos for After School. 

https://bbook.com/culture-2/blackbook-interview-melanie-martinez-gets-remains-existential/

Thank you for sharing.

So the best friend she's talking about is the one she mentions in Piggyback? That's really nice, im happy for them both. 

That's a really nice interview overall, and i'm so glad that she's always so happy working in music and turning it into so much more. 

Hearing that people have reached out to her and said K-12 helped them get through a lot of things is really nice to know as well. That just backs up what I keep saying, if I had been in school or heard the album at the right time of my life it probably would have helped a lot, but since I've already overcome most of that, it just doesn't do much for me currently. But it is certainly a strong album id reccommend for young people going through school and other themes of k-12

yeah, the first the principal demo is how I expected the album to sound, it sounds like a darker follow up to Cry Baby

Listening again, I think it sounds a lot like Teacher's Pet, which I like. 

Teachers Pet and Show & Tell seem to be the only ones that have a sound flowing straight out of Cry Baby, even if they are a slower pace.

Listening again, I think it sounds a lot like Teacher's Pet, which I like. 

Teachers Pet and Show & Tell seem to be the only ones that have a sound flowing straight out of Cry Baby, even if they are a slower pace.

Ugh Teacher's Pet is ridiculously hated by this fan base yet it's one of the best on the album imo along with Show & Tell because they're two of the few songs on the album that keep the original Cry Baby idea (serious subjets with child metaphores) rather than just throwing kid names around like in Class Fight or Wheels On the Bus just for the sake of using the album as a movie soundtrack.

My only problem with Teacher's Pet is that, as most of the songs, it's kinda monotonous, no buildup to a huge final chorus, no adlibs, nothing. It's just the same thing for 4 minutes. This is actually worse with songs like HHS or Detention that somehow have an underproduced last chorus? lol i don't know what she was trying to do there but it's so anticlimatic and underwhelming. I blame Michael for all of this.

I honestly wish the album process had been more interactive, kind of like what Charli tried to do with how i'm feeling now, like she could've asked for advice, maybe posting snippets of all 3 The Principal versions and asking which one was better (clearly the first one), asking us to come up with video ideas, or just lyrics, or even recording all the sounds in the album (like the voices in Show & Tell), not just because those iMovies effects sound cheap as hell, but it actually would've been cute to have us on the album, it would've made it more special. Not only that, but the wait for the album would've felt much shorter. Also she should've let fans send their beats (have you seen those tunnAbeatz videos?), they're extremely talented and would give her something fresh that still sounds like her.

K-12 isn't a bad album by any means, Lanaboards just likes to trash it because it's a rehash of Cry Baby and not as good as the first one, but still one of the most unique albums of 2019. It just frustrates me because it has potential to be amazing, I know Melanie has it in her.

My only problem with Teacher's Pet is that, as most of the songs, it's kinda monotonous, no buildup to a huge final chorus, no adlibs, nothing. It's just the same thing for 4 minutes. This is actually worse with songs like HHS or Detention that somehow have an underproduced last chorus? lol i don't know what she was trying to do there but it's so anticlimatic and underwhelming. I blame Michael for all of this.

i completely agree with everything you said, the weak production and melodies definitely have to do with michael which is sad cause he made some really good tracks for CB (play date & pacify her) that's why it's important for artists to work with multiple producers on a project (not always the case though) cause one producer can only do so much like he literally made 20 or so tracks alone whereas cry baby was 16 tracks and she worked with more than 10 different producers/writers. she said in an interview recently she's looking for new producers to work with so hopefully she realizes that or maybe she just saw people complaining  :toofunny:

i love you, but you don't understand me.

The fact she also sat on this record for 4 years and then it was, well, "that", doesn't help. I'll give her the kudos that the movie actually looks EXPENSIVE and it is "well made" (even with some amateur flaws, but it was also "her debut" directing something like that so it's totally alright) but the story\script itself is just trash and it felt like "Look at all this money I've got from the label!! I'm gonna BURN IT."

The story is bad. I'm still unsure of how\why she decided to go full Matilda-XMen. It would have been better if she dropped the record and then took her time to make the movie, making it also last "longer" as an Era. Cry Baby was fun (at least until like... Pacify Her and then Mad Hatter taking one year was just bad) because of the overflown of content, that also helped building her name out there. Her art direction is, however, really fantastic.

Randomly got Strawberry Shortcake stucked in my head this last week. The good songs here are really alright. Strawberry Shortcake, Highschool Sweet Hearts, Lunchbox Friends, Detention (?). I can't remember the rest at all apart from knowing I loathe Show & Tell. 

It missed some variety I guess. It feels like they really grabbed some stems from Cry Baby and decided "yep we'll build all the songs we can using these". Feels very "one note"

concept albums are so tricky especially having to do a music video for 13 songs it always drags out for a long time and each music video progressively lacks creativity, gets cheaper and the audience loses interest. same thing that happened with cry baby happened with electra heart by marina, they both started out really strong then after about 5 videos a year or two goes by the labels don't want to fund it anymore and the fans want something new. 

the plot of k-12 is so useless like we get it you're going to school, the teachers suck, the popular girls are mean to you :noparty:... i wish she would've went more beyonce style where she just narrates over certain parts that lead into each song or even something like tropico that doesn't necessarily need acting or character dialogue but the story still makes sense

i fear for the future of melanie's career and abilities as an artist when her label no longer wants to give her $6 million every time she wants to make a full length movie and decides to drop an album with no singles especially when the movie can barely crack $300k at the box office...

i love you, but you don't understand me.