LAman

Hope Sandoval from Mazzy Star Comments on Lana Del Rey

Hope Sandoval commented on Lana Del Rey. The interview was published in Spanish. Here is the portion that mentions her:

‘Ultraviolence’ de Lana Del Rey también es bastante Mazzy Star, ¿no crees?
Hope: No sé quién es.
Colm: No hemos escuchado el disco. Sé quién es pero no hemos oído el álbum.
Hope: No sé quién es. ¿Es americana?

Sí, es norteamericana, de Nueva York.
Hope: No sé quién es, la buscaré. Me gusta su nombre.

No es su nombre real, ella se llama Elizabeth Grant.
Hope: Se le ha ocurrido un buen nombre artístico.

Someone posted an English translation on Facebook. Maybe one of you guys have a better translation. Here is the English translation:

Interviewer: 'Ultraviolence' by Lana Del Rey is also quite Mazzy Star, don't you think?
Hope: I do not know who she is.
Colm: We have not heard the album. I know who she is but we have not heard the album.
Hope: I do not know who she is. Is she American?

-Yes, she's American, New York.
Hope: I do not know who she is, but will seek her out. I like the name.

-It's not her real name. Her name is Elizabeth Grant.
Hope: It's a good stage name.

If you love Hope Sandoval and are a big fan like me, then this is BIG news!

Here is the link to the full interview: http://jenesaispop.com/2016/11/03/279501/hope-sandoval-no-se-quien-es-lana-del-rey/

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

How awkward...Lana is honestly still not that well know with the general population (people keep asking me who is that Mexican Wool King lady I stan for  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  ) yet Halseraty  is the new Queen of radio??

And one would expect him to be current with music Hhhmm..

How awkward...Lana is honestly still not that well know with the general population (people keep asking me who is that Mexican Wool King lady I stan for  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  ) yet Halseraty  is the new Queen of radio??

And one would expect him to be current with music Hhhmm..

Na that rat is still non exsistant outside of tumblr

What's interesting to me is remembering the comparison of May Jailer's work to Mazzy Star (whom Hope fronts) on a Youtube comment. This got me into Mazzy Star as a consequence (and they remain artists of interest for me). They write what I would describe as quietly haunting electric guitar-driven songs. Sometimes Hope and LDR have a similar vocal quality on quieter songs; however, UV is arguably as similar to an OURS album as it is a Mazzy Star one (imo).

Omg, I have a song of her in my computer and cellphone! I heard first in a tv show, but I didn't pay much attention! :defeated: But then I heard in a fanmade video of this tv show and downloaded it!  :flutter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S91zMopA1E

I never realized the similarities between her and Lana, it's amazing!   :flutter:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

I see whoever posted the English translation excerpt (above) from Hope Sandoval's recent interview that appeared at a Spanish language site used my own attempted, amateur English translation I posted to a couple of Mazzy Star/Hope fan sites.  I found it amusing Hope had never heard of Lana. That's probably 'cause personally I'm a much bigger fan of Hope than Lana, and view Hope as the more talented of the two, if less commercially "successful" than Lana.

Lana, of course, has frequently been identified in the press as an artist influenced by Hope and Hope's band Mazzy Star. So, for some reason, I find it hilarious Hope has never has so much as heard the name Lana del Rey, let alone heard her music! Take that, Lana! Ha.

I see whoever posted the English translation excerpt (above) from Hope Sandoval's recent interview that appeared at a Spanish language site used my own attempted, amateur English translation I posted to a couple of Mazzy Star/Hope fan sites.  I found it amusing Hope had never heard of Lana. That's probably 'cause personally I'm a much bigger fan of Hope than Lana, and view Hope as the more talented of the two, if less commercially "successful" than Lana.

Lana, of course, has frequently been identified in the press as an artist influenced by Hope and Hope's band Mazzy Star. So, for some reason, I find it hilarious Hope has never has so much as heard the name Lana del Rey, let alone heard her music! Take that, Lana! Ha.

Whatever... Most peeps on this forum have no idea who Mazzy Star is because they came out in the early 90s (much like Sonic Youth) - So Kim Gordon doesn't like Lana or what she stands for (in regards to woman's lib) and Hope Sandoval doesnt know who Lana is (she apparently doesn't keep up on music trends) - Kim Gordon is past her experation date tbh and I haven't heard anything about Mazzy Star is freaking ages - I loved their music when I was in high school, but as of now I could care less about either of them tbh

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

@JR omega post#14

I am older and yes I am very familiar with Mazzy Star and Massive Attack too.

interesting thing is- both Kim and Hope made comments while promoting something new (so looking for a soundbyte to further themselves.

What disturbs me is, why do thy reference Lana's name?  Do they do that for Bob Dylan (Robert Zimmerman) or David Bowie or thousands of others who have changed their name

(and when Mazzy had their couple of big songs, many people thought Mazzy was the lead singer and had no idea Mazzy was group name and not Hope's name.

Does Hope know who Gaga is (and would the interviewer mention Gaga is not her name? Why does Lana get this abuse when no one else does???

I wonder if someone asked Olivia Newton John or Tina Turner who Mazzy Star was, would they know?

Perhaps in 2017 on her forthcoming American tour(LOL) Lana could ask Hope to be an opening act, like she was gracious enough to do with Courtney Love.

but up the thread a bit, people mentioned Halsey. Most of America has never heard of Halsey. She is the featured singer on Chainsmokers  4th or 5th hit (and most people have

no idea who Chainsmokers are either. (and yes, they have had the #1 song for 10 weeks.) but that doesn't mean folks know who sing it.

Sheesh, in America, ask people who Tim Kaine and they draw  a blank that he is the guy who will be Vice President elect in just 4 days.

BTW, I would imagine some people on lanaboards would not be happy with the way Hope does concerts. Almost dark on stage. No audience interaction. And over the years, and I know this,

not very friendly with fans before or after, or running into her somewhere. Have no idea if she is more comfortable or not now.

But she is very talented, though I myself don't see any real connection.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

How awkward...Lana is honestly still not that well know with the general population

Hope has always been a genuine oddball & i seriously doubt she keeps up with the latest trends, musical and otherwise. so she's definitely not the best person to use to gauge Lana's mainstream popularity imo.

graham4anything : Hope was not "referencing" Lana in that interview. She was simply answering the journalist's questions to her re. Lana del Rey.

Hope was not dissing Lana, and was not being facetious. It's evident she just has never heard of Lana del Rey, and was answering honestly.  Not every artist reads the music industry press, or follows Billboard charts. Hope evidently doesn't. Here's the entire section from the interview about Lana (my own translation I posted to a Mazzy Star/Hope FB fan group). Btw, Colm is her writing partner in her band Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions, whose new album was released today:

"-INTERVIEWER: Do you see the influence of Mazzy Star on current artists like Beach House or Lana del Rey?

Hope: Yes, but Beach House has a varied style, I do not think their latest album or previous one sound like Mazzy Star,

although I heard some influence on one of their albums, I think 'Devotion'.

Colm: You can hear the influence of sound in Beach House but the group has its own style.

Hope: It's always positive to inspire someone with your work. It's bound to happen, (Colm and I), we've been playing many years.

-'Ultraviolence' by Lana Del Rey is also quite Mazzy Star, don't you think?

Hope: I do not know who she is.

Colm: We have not heard the album. I know who she is but we have not heard the album.

Hope: I do not know who she is. Is she American?

-Yes, she's American, New York.

Hope: I do not know who she is, but will seek her out. I like the name.

-It's not her real name. Her name is Elizabeth Grant.

Hope: It's a good stage name."

I'm sorry but who? :rip:

haha how embarassing to comment that. 

has it ever occurred to anyone she genuinely didn't know her? lana doesn't get enough positive press such as other singers, lol.

@

I luv ur new icon pic btw

I'm yelling so hard Lana mentioned Mazzy Star several times in interviews iirc and she at least once said she loved them this is such a cold shower :toofunny: hollering

Where has Lana mentioned Mazzy Star in interviews?!?! I am about to explode! Do you know where these interviews are? :excited:

tumblr_ow8qt6vZl01w30flno1_1280.jpg

I love Mazzy Star so much!!  :legend: I'm Less Here, Into Dust and California are some of my all time favourite songs! 

But I'm not surprised Hope doesn't know of Lana tbh, I doubt Hope knows of most modern singers? She's definitely not one to keep up with pop culture really!

I'm interested to see if Hope does actually look Lana up! I'd love to know her thoughts on Lana's music!

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg