You guys need to watch Gus Van Sant's My Own Private Idaho from 1991 if you haven't. It stars River Phoenix as Mikey, a gay prostitute suffering from narcolepsy who goes on a trip to find his family with his best friend, Scott (Keanu Reeves) who he's in love with. It's one of my favorite movies ever and River is so emotive and beautiful in it. It's inspired by Shakespeare's Henry IV and it's very sad, entertaining, and alluring. Although the movie is definitely not a love story, the themes of unrequited love and loneliness make it unforgettable.

For those of you that have seen it and didn't know, Mikey's sexuality was originally intended to be left ambiguous, but once River Phoenix was cast he didn't want that. He said "I think it's very important for the gay community to have random characters that represent nothing more than people... I think it's part of a wave that will set a precedent of some sort so that you will no longer need a label". River also rewrote the 'campfire scene' himself almost entirely, which is often regarded as the most powerful scene in the movie. River was very humble incredible person and talented, dedicated actor, and unfortunately so many people only want to talk about his drug addiction and tragic death. 

pkrEvh0.pngtumblr_oeg7s4udTm1u6onaso3_500.gif

anybody have links to these cool movies y'all are recommending? can't find a lot of them on netflix or hulu

Most movies you can rent on iTunes for like 3 to 6 dollars, but if you really don't want pay you can look them up on a free movie site like Putlocker or something lol even though it might be low quality or glitchy.

You guys need to watch Gus Van Sant's My Own Private Idaho from 1991 if you haven't. It stars River Phoenix as Mikey, a gay prostitute suffering from narcolepsy who goes on a trip to find his family with his best friend, Scott (Keanu Reeves) who he's in love with. It's one of my favorite movies ever and River is so emotive and beautiful in it. It's inspired by Shakespeare's Henry IV and it's very sad, entertaining, and alluring. Although the movie is definitely not a love story, the themes of unrequited love and loneliness make it unforgettable.

For those of you that have seen it and didn't know, Mikey's sexuality was originally intended to be left ambiguous, but once River Phoenix was cast he didn't want that. He said "I think it's very important for the gay community to have random characters that represent nothing more than people... I think it's part of a wave that will set a precedent of some sort so that you will no longer need a label". River also rewrote the 'campfire scene' himself almost entirely, which is often regarded as the most powerful scene in the movie. River was very humble incredible person and talented, dedicated actor, and unfortunately so many people only want to talk about his drug addiction and tragic death. 

pkrEvh0.pngtumblr_oeg7s4udTm1u6onaso3_500.gif

Does it have a happy ending

Not a film but in the TV show Orphan Black, the relationship between Cosima and Delphine is absolute goals. The love they have for eachother was bigger than any other love in that show I swear to god. And I love how they portrayed them both as highly intelligent, mature and independent women, yet still had so much emotion in them. Brilliant. I couldnt ask for better.

Sorry for bumping but I wanna quote this bc every single letter is true. Orphan Black is my absolute favourite series of all time and I enjoyed the process of falling in love with Delphine so much. And then get my heart broken bc she's actually from Quebec and talks with an accent that's practically unbearable for a Parisian like me lol. And I just learned she's pregnant  :poordat:  There go my fantasies. And obviously Tatiana is one of the greatest actors that's ever been (praying to God for her second Emmy) so yeah

ZKcaooE.png

I’ve only seen one mention of Beautiful Thing, but dude..... I watched it earlier this week (and then again last night), and it easily tops my list of favorite films in general — it’s so sweet, but also doesn’t shy away from looking at how bumpy a process coming out (to others and yourself) can be. The characters are wonderful, and the soundtrack is HOLY.

I can’t recommend it enough — it’s up on YouTube, please watch :defeated:

o4qjp4j.png