PARADIXO

Born to Die Turns Half a Decade Old!

“Without You”

The first track on the deluxe version of Born to Die is an ethereal ballad about realizing love is what truly fulfills the soul. The most interesting element in the song is definitely the Omnichord played by co-writer Sacha Sharbek, an electronic instrument made in the 80s, popular for its dreamy, harp-like sound.

Re-watch this incredible performance:

Okay I'm what you can call a BTD hater, she's a cute girl, not my favorite work of her, also not her worst (poor Paradise) :hottie:

I still remember the first time I saw her on youtube, It was on recommended videos Idk why, I really never cared about the music world I was totally a movie geek around 2013, and I remember seeing this video:

Obviously my first tought was daaaamn she's hot, but than the song goes on and I start carefully listening to the lyrics and her voice, literally my world stopped. You know the felling of excitement when you discover something new? Well that was me I was so intrigued about her voice, why it was so deep and why I was feeling this kind of emotion that I've never felt for a song?

It was sucha weird feeling, I feelt underwhelmed about the sensation of devoted love she expressed on her lyrics, it's like when you're in love and you have to wake up really early but you don't really care, you almost do it automatically because you know that person will be there and you will be able to see, talk and be with this person, it made me feel the magic she was transmitting through her track.

It was really a magical experience and this will sound corny af but it change my world, I've never been so happy to have clicked a video in my life :oprah3:

PLUS this two perfomances (my favorites) deserve more love!

PS: @Paradixo I LOVE your texts, keep doing it king! :oprah:

8nl2OpX.png

“Without You”

The first track on the deluxe version of Born to Die is an ethereal ballad about realizing love is what truly fulfills the soul. The most interesting element in the song is definitely the Omnichord played by co-writer Sacha Sharbek, an electronic instrument made in the 80s, popular for its dreamy, harp-like sound.

Re-watch this incredible performance:

Another Omnichord lover like me!  :flutter:

“National Anthem"

tumblr_meje7iexq91rmnglgo1_500.gif

“Money is the anthem of success” are the first words of this playful, fast alt-hip hop rollercoaster of a song. Produced by hit-maker Emile Haynie, GRAMMY winner for Producer of the Year Jeff Bhasker and multi-instrumentalists David Sneddon and James Bauer-Mein, “National Anthem” shines with its epic orchestration, a dark, sinister beat and a euphoric melody written by Lana, Justin Parker, Sneddon and Bauer-Mein. With all these collaborators, “National Anthem” is obviously an ambitious track in every aspect – even its high-budget short film.

Directed by Anthony Mandler (Rihanna, Drake, Mary J Bling, among others), “National Anthem” features Lana Del Rey as Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy and rapper A$AP Rocky as JFK. This controversial concept was written by Lana, just like all of her videos. “This was her concept,” Mandler explained. “She came to me with it, and I kind of dug it out with her […] Lana was really interested in exploring this loss of innocence, this idea that what you think you're experiencing is maybe not what it's always going to be. Because when you say 'Kennedy,' that immediately evokes something, just like when I say 'It's a Romeo and Juliet story.' So I think using that power, that pedigree of the story is a really fascinating place to show the loss of something, the breakdown of something." Lana and Rocky being an interracial couple was intentional. “We used the Kennedy framework to kind of implement […] this racially diverse Camelot [...] bringing it into the modern era, but still keeping that classic framework. […] There's a kind of micro-commentary of 'This is the new royalty,' you know, A$AP and Lana, trying to pick two people to maybe represent the next generation of something. I think even with an African American president, it's still controversial to see him sitting and playing JFK, it's still taboo, even if it shouldn't be.” Continuing with the social message of the film, Anthony said they wanted the story to be told from the perspective of the female: “it was always about the person sitting next to him […] It was always about seeing it through her eyes, seeing this kind of castle crumble in the moment, and that shot where she's coming up out of the car, and the pain in her eyes, that destruction, it's like the whole castle is crumbling around her. That's what we were going for."

“I’ve been inspired by the footage I’ve seen of them, more than their story, just all of the colors in the film,” Lana said to NYLON. “And as far as the song, I’ve had a few relationships where there was complete devotion on behalf of the guy. I loved the idea of a girl telling her boyfriend, ‘Tell me I’m your national anthem, your star-spangled banner, salute to me and love me’ – you know, in a good way, in a beautiful way. I wanted to show how modern-day romance could still have that classic feel.” 

“National Anthem” is included on Billboard's Best Videos of the 2010s list.

Although you all know my soft spot is Lana's AKA era, I have to say that BtD is an absolute powerhouse and masterpiece in ways that nothing Lana has created before or since has been. Between the genre-breaking sound, the lyrics, the visuals, the persona, and the overarching themes that weave their way through everything produced in the BtD era, Lana totally rewrote what could be done with pop music. She is a trailblazer, and I think the world still hasn't realized her full impact.

No other artist, so far as I know, has created concepts and such a cohesive world with their music as Lana has, save for the legendary David Bowie-- some would consider it sacrilege to compare the two, but as a fan of his as well, I see many parallels-- much like him, Lana attempted genres/sounds that didn't stick or weren't successful in her early career (although they should have been: refer to Sirens in the lesser and AKA in the major), before finally settling into something entirely unique that finally caught critical attention (both positive and negative, but scrutiny and attention en masse, nonetheless). "Born to Die" was much like Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars", imo-- she seemed to appear fully formed, a mysterious anachronism in modern pop, an almost cartoonish femme fatale/siren in the best way possible-- the same way that Bowie's Ziggy was an exaggerated caricature of a rock star, and didn't seem to be remotely the same person that had been putting out psychedelic pop and folk music just a few years earlier.

Mind you, I'm not making this comparison for nothing-- my point is, Lana's contribution to pop music, and music in general, has yet to be realized by the general public, especially with Born to Die. Will she ever top it? I don't know. However, I think much as David Bowie is lauded as a trailblazer and innovator today, Lana will one day be hailed as the same, if for nothing else than this album.

Outstanding, all in all. My weave never came back after my first time with OTTR.  :worship:

o4qjp4j.png

Although you all know my soft spot is Lana's AKA era, I have to say that BtD is an absolute powerhouse and masterpiece in ways that nothing Lana has created before or since has been. Between the genre-breaking sound, the lyrics, the visuals, the persona, and the overarching themes that weave their way through everything produced in the BtD era, Lana totally rewrote what could be done with pop music. She is a trailblazer, and I think the world still hasn't realized her full impact.

No other artist, so far as I know, has created concepts and such a cohesive world with their music as Lana has, save for the legendary David Bowie-- some would consider it sacrilege to compare the two, but as a fan of his as well, I see many parallels-- much like him, Lana attempted genres/sounds that didn't stick or weren't successful in her early career (although they should have been: refer to Sirens in the lesser and AKA in the major), before finally settling into something entirely unique that finally caught critical attention (both positive and negative, but scrutiny and attention en masse, nonetheless). "Born to Die" was much like Bowie's "The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars", imo-- she seemed to appear fully formed, a mysterious anachronism in modern pop, an almost cartoonish femme fatale/siren in the best way possible-- the same way that Bowie's Ziggy was an exaggerated caricature of a rock star, and didn't seem to be remotely the same person that had been putting out psychedelic pop and folk music just a few years earlier.

Mind you, I'm not making this comparison for nothing-- my point is, Lana's contribution to pop music, and music in general, has yet to be realized by the general public, especially with Born to Die. Will she ever top it? I don't know. However, I think much as David Bowie is lauded as a trailblazer and innovator today, Lana will one day be hailed as the same, if for nothing else than this album.

Outstanding, all in all. My weave never came back after my first time with OTTR.  :worship:

Beautiful. I absolutely agree.

Lana should read this whole thread... she should be proud.

It was Born To Die that got me into more 'pop'indie music (I was only into rock and metal before that hahah) and from there onwards, my music horizon broadened so much, I am lost for words when people ask "what music do you listen to?".

So i will forever love this album and all the songs on it. There was not one song that didn't captivate me.

Congratulations Lana, Emile, and all the other people who worked on this album.

BTD is the 2010's bible of music, which paved the way for the chapters of Paradise, Ultraviolence, Honeymoon, and her upcoming album too.

Rewatching this now, I don't picture her doing anything close to this music video ever again.

It is so iconic though

IMG_0998.gif

“National Anthem"

tumblr_meje7iexq91rmnglgo1_500.gif

“Money is the anthem of success” are the first words of this playful, fast alt-hip hop rollercoaster of a song. Produced by hit-maker Emile Haynie, GRAMMY winner for Producer of the Year Jeff Bhasker and multi-instrumentalists David Sneddon and James Bauer-Mein, “National Anthem” shines with its epic orchestration, a dark, sinister beat and a euphoric melody written by Lana, Justin Parker, Sneddon and Bauer-Mein. With all these collaborators, “National Anthem” is obviously an ambitious track in every aspect – even its high-budget short film.

Directed by Anthony Mandler (Rihanna, Drake, Mary J Bling, among others), “National Anthem” features Lana Del Rey as Marilyn Monroe and Jacqueline Kennedy and rapper A$AP Rocky as JFK. This controversial concept was written by Lana, just like all of her videos. “This was her concept,” Mandler explained. “She came to me with it, and I kind of dug it out with her […] Lana was really interested in exploring this loss of innocence, this idea that what you think you're experiencing is maybe not what it's always going to be. Because when you say 'Kennedy,' that immediately evokes something, just like when I say 'It's a Romeo and Juliet story.' So I think using that power, that pedigree of the story is a really fascinating place to show the loss of something, the breakdown of something." Lana and Rocky being an interracial couple was intentional. “We used the Kennedy framework to kind of implement […] this racially diverse Camelot [...] bringing it into the modern era, but still keeping that classic framework. […] There's a kind of micro-commentary of 'This is the new royalty,' you know, A$AP and Lana, trying to pick two people to maybe represent the next generation of something. I think even with an African American president, it's still controversial to see him sitting and playing JFK, it's still taboo, even if it shouldn't be.” Continuing with the social message of the film, Anthony said they wanted the story to be told from the perspective of the female: “it was always about the person sitting next to him […] It was always about seeing it through her eyes, seeing this kind of castle crumble in the moment, and that shot where she's coming up out of the car, and the pain in her eyes, that destruction, it's like the whole castle is crumbling around her. That's what we were going for."

“I’ve been inspired by the footage I’ve seen of them, more than their story, just all of the colors in the film,” Lana said to NYLON. “And as far as the song, I’ve had a few relationships where there was complete devotion on behalf of the guy. I loved the idea of a girl telling her boyfriend, ‘Tell me I’m your national anthem, your star-spangled banner, salute to me and love me’ – you know, in a good way, in a beautiful way. I wanted to show how modern-day romance could still have that classic feel.”

“National Anthem” is included on Billboard's Best Videos of the 2010s list.

“Carmen”

tumblr_mgg7niY79H1qggpkco1_500.gif

One of the most personal tracks on Born to Die, “Carmen” is a dark ballad about a woman dealing with drugs, alcohol and an attention-seeking behavior. “It is a song I can't say too much about because it's so close to my heart,” Lana said to The Sun. “It's the song on the record I relate to most closely. It's set partly in Coney Island, a place that's been important to me throughout my New York City career.”

Its music video, similar to “Video Games”, premiered in April 2012.

Seriously one of the best (if not the best) songs in BTD, and this is really unpopular but I love the fact that she keeps perfoming it, this song is just perfect and beautiful :oprah3:

8nl2OpX.png

I didn't like Carmen at the first time I heard, but those lyrics made it grow in me so much! Def one of the best songs on Born to Die and one of the first songs that I downloaded from Lana, along with Get Drunk and Blue Jeans.  :sadcore2:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593