PARADIXO

Born to Die Turns Half a Decade Old!

Man you should check out her unreleased catalogue if you haven't already. It's quite large and varied, I think you'd like it, much of it is in the same pop vein as Born to Die too

Actually, I just discovered Queen Of Disaster a few days ago and it is amazing. Even as good as BTD is, it is criminal that this was left off the album. Even my 9 year old daughter loves it and she isn't really a Lana fan.

Actually, I just discovered Queen Of Disaster a few days ago and it is amazing. Even as good as BTD is, it is criminal that this was left off the album. Even my 9 year old daughter loves it and she isn't really a Lana fan.

Also go listen to "Serial Killer".  This is a very strong unreleased track of hers.

KaUp1u5.png

"Dark Paradise"

Definitely the most criticized song off the record. Whether you like it or not, you can't deny this dark, suicidal anthem goes hard live.

I have zero time today sorry :defeated:

The one song on BTD that I detest. Probably the only released Lana song that I actively dislike. Something about the lyrics makes me cringe uncontrollably. Up there with Freak as some of Lana's worst lyrics (but at least freak as elements I like). 

The one song on BTD that I detest. Probably the only released Lana song that I actively dislike. Something about the lyrics makes me cringe uncontrollably. Up there with Freak as some of Lana's worst lyrics (but at least freak as elements I like).

Wait, you detest dark paradise?

Idk why people hate it, like i agree its not her best song but its still beautiful. I like it way better than the lyrics of Without You and Radio anyway.

i prefer the radio mix over the album version. the first demo is my favourite version though.

The "I got the ice, you got the fire" one?

That's my favourite lana demo <3_<3 way better than the album dark paradise

BTD was the first album where I felt that I was watching a new superstar arriving and it was great to watch the era. Her being so determined, so into her work and putting so much effort into all of it. You could just tell that it was her heart and soul.

I became a fan for the first time I watched the Video Games music video before it even started charting in Europe in 2011. It was instant love.

Never would I have thought that we'd go from that Lana to a Lana that cancells shows, stops promoting in general and to a bad album like Honeymoon within just three and a half years. And I have an even worse feeling about the new record, ngl.

Everything seemed like such a slayage during BTD, now I feel she doesn't know how to pull things off anymore.

I wish she was driven like she used to be. BTD will always hold very special memories to me.

The lyrics of Dark Paradise are too heavy handed, which is why even though I like the sound of the album version, I hate how tryhard it is :/.

"but I wish I was dead" :/ :/

It's too upfront and ugh, what happened to show not tell? I think it's the way she sings that line too - it sounds quite hopeful in a sense, and very pronounced, like she wanted people to focus on the fact. The rest of the track I like, but it's just that line that ruins it for me.

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

Not her best, but it's still an amazing song and it's just so Lana. Dark Paradise definitely doesn't deserve all this hate. :judgingu:

I also love the fact that we have so many versions that all sound quite different (album version, radio mix, "I got the ice, you got the fire" demo).

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

I looooove the "i got the ice" demo but some how, the lyrics aren't cohesive since she's sometimes talking to someone that she can exchange with and sometimes to somebody's who passes away. The album version makes more sense, imo. Also I laughed one time when I saw a review criticizing the album and saying that it sounded as if it had been recorded in an underwater cathedral. That description somehow fits this song, I find.

As to the criticism surrounding the "i wish i was dead", I think we all know that it's something actually quite true to her, a thought she struggles with and that she expressed in that now infamous interview.

It's not my favorite track on the record, but I do love certain elements. The "aaaaah", the chorus melody, the drums during the "oh oh oh oh ah ah ah ah I don't wanna Wake up for this tonight", they're so umpffffff haha.

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg

"Lolita"

The second bonus track on Born to Die is Lana's most playful song. Full of classic Del Rey imagery and suggestive lyrics, "Lolita" was written and composed by Lana, Liam Howe and Hannah Robinson and solely produced by Emile Haynie. The album version features heavy, repetitive beats, overdramatic orchestration and multiple sound effects; the demos, however, are quite different.

"Lolita" was a highlight at Lana's 2016 tour: