PARADIXO

Born to Die Turns Half a Decade Old!

"Dark Paradise"

Definitely the most criticized song off the record. Whether you like it or not, you can't deny this dark, suicidal anthem goes hard live.

I have zero time today sorry :defeated:

I love Dark paradise. I WISH we had a full version of this performance thought!

Dark Paradise is in my opinion Lana's worst released song with some of the most embarrassingly terrible lyrics she's ever written. Lolita is a good song but the production on the album is a disaster. I love the demo and the 2016 live version, tho.

I AM MY ONLY GOD

I thought Lolita was overproduced when I heard the first time, I liked the demo better (the one with the guitar or bass intro, I'm not sure the instrument). But the album version grew in me so much to the point I prefer the album version now!  :oprah: Dark Paradise is my least favorite song from her whole discography, but if someone ask me to sing a Lana Del Rey song, you can have 95% of sure that I'm gonna sing DP.  :whine:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

it's still kind of baffling why Lolita was even on this album. I really don't like the album version, either. It sounds really heavy and harsh and not playful like it originally was intended to be

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I didn't have enough time yesterday, so today we celebrate two songs!

“Blue Jeans”

tumblr_naf7qtdZRx1tjdu7vo1_500.gif

Drama, intense production, drugs, alcohol, lyrics full of retro American imagery – “Blue Jeans” is Lana Del Rey at her most Lana Del Rey. The song, a project between Dan Heath, Emile Haynie and Lana herself, was compared to Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game” due its passionate, high-pitched chorus and surf rock-influenced instrumentation.

Its video, directed by Yoann Lemoine, was shot in black and white and features Bradley Soileau as one of Del Rey’s troubled lovers, represented by a crocodile.

“This Is What Makes Us Girls”

The last song on the standard edition of Born to Die is an up-tempo story about 16-year-old girls skipping their classes just to “party up all night” and “steal police cars with the senior guys”. In the end, the group gets divided and Lana learns that living that kind of life doesn’t last forever.

Not the iPad video being snubbed! I always found it funny both album covers for born to die and paradise were shot on set of a blue jeans music video 

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I think Blue Jeans was the first song I heard from Lana back in 2012. I didn't like at first, but then I heard again in some fan made vid in 2014 and it grew on me a lot and made me want to hear the rest of her stuff. Now days I consider Blue Jeans my favorite song from Lana and also my favorite music video!  :flutter: 

1271525489311_f.jpg

I'm sure that someone out there also made fun of the song title because it was the name of Miley Stewart/Hannah Montana's horse.  :oopna:

32c003478b7ec35a4b8ae368a22ebabc5be17593

I didn't like Blue Jeans at first listen but now it's one of my favorites it's so good and honestly, I think it's my favorite video from her. Just the simplicity of it is so amazing and she's so beautiful in it :legend: I constantly quote "fresh to death and sick as cancer" in rl :defeated: .

tumblr_ov81kxfRAq1t0t62zo1_500.gif

Back in 2011, when Video Games was on the radio all the time, I didn't really like Lana. :toofunny: After the Video Game hype declined, I pretty much forgot about her until summer 2012, when Summertime Sadness became her next big radio hit. I liked it a lot, so I decided to give Lana Del Rey another chance. So I went on YouTube, clicked on the first video I found, which happened to be Blue Jeans - and WOW! I was literally blown away by this song! I don't know if I would've ever listened to Born To Die and therefore gotten into Lana's music without this song, so it means a lot to me. Even until this day, I think it's an absolute masterpiece, the lyrics are amazing and it's among her top 5 songs, IMO. I would also like to mention that the Kris Menace, Club Clique and RAC remixes of Blue Jeans are amazing. 

tumblr_m8wrvnhBdo1r071j5o1_500.gif

This Is What Makes Us Girls is also a great song, however I don't like the album version that much; in fact, it's probably my least favorite song of the album. Hearing the demos (especially demo #2) just made me realize that it could've been way better. I don't understand why she didn't keep the Get us while we're hot/We don't give a whaaat? line. But like I said, it's still a great song on the best album I've ever heard.  :flutter:

tumblr_mgo9icJ2AE1rdv16ko1_500.gif

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

I would also like to mention that the Kris Menace, Club Clique and RAC remixes of Blue Jeans are amazing. 

The Gesaffelstein one is very good too, it doesn't take away from the lyrics, it just adds an upbeat... beat :D .

tumblr_ov81kxfRAq1t0t62zo1_500.gif

Blue Jeans:

Give me a moment since this is the song that made me stan. So I had watched the "Born To Die" music video (hadn't watched "Video Games" yet, actually) and at first, I didn't like her voice. However, something had caught me in the visuals and I felt the need to watch it again a few days later. And a second time. The next video suggested was the home made video version of "Blue jeans". I clicked. And fell in love. I was stunned by her sheer beauty, I'm sorry but this white shirt, red locks look will forever be one of my fave. There was something about that song, that video. Just the first few notes, punctuated by that "Our Father" that caught me off guard and mesmerized me. Never had I ever seen such a collection of heterogeneous footage that worked so well together, with its flaws and all.

How many times I played that song in front of my laptop, on the subway, walking down the streets, in my car... The melody is so infectious, my favorite part being the second verse. She really masters her way of telling stories in it, I find. 

"Big dreams

Gangsta 

Said you had to leave to start your life over (it begins)

I was like "No please, stay here

We don't need no money

We could make it all work"

And then the rythm just picks up, and the words flow like a waterfall

"But he headed out on Sunday

Said he'd come on Monday

I stayed up waiting

Anticipatin and pacin"

(There's something so compelling by that almost assonance that she creates with "c" and "in")

"Caught up in the game

That was the last I heard"

BAM. I'm sorry, people are maybe snickering behind their screens but never had I heard somebody sing of a hopeless love in such a fashion. 

And who can forget the poignant:

"But when you waled out the door

A piece of me died" :oprah:

The official music video is beautiful, too. I have my days, with it, sometimes I find it gorgeous, sometimes a bit stale cause there's a lot of the same thing going on but overall and with time, I can say that it's got some beautiful shots and a nice storytelling. Oh and a fantastic instrumental introduction. 

This explains my username, I guess.

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg