Carmen

Twitter Updates

It was. The only reason Lana got triggered is because of the Joni part in the article.There were other bits in that article that Lana could have pointed out and disagree with that were actually worthy to disagree with, but the only part that made her angry was the Joni comparison which wasn't even negative. I don't mind that she has her opinion of course she will have it, but the way she chose to go on about this article which wasnt even terrible in comparison with far worse articles out there, is she started telling Ann how she is not a fan and shouldn't call herself a fan, next minute lying also about never having personas. Lana knew that her rabid fans would go after Ann and she wanted that. That's why she attacked her publicly. She could have easily contacted Ann in private and have a nice discussion over the article instead of this circus of tweets she blurted out. She handled herself very poorly.

Of course she will have her opinion, I'm not saying she can't have. She handled herself very poorly in this case.

In order to know what the hell was going on, I ended up skimming Ann Powers reviews.  :crossed:

Honest to god, I don't think Ann's review on NFR is THAT bad. I was expecting something scathing. 

The Joni Mitchell was no big deal either. Pretty much that Joni's lyrics are complete in their description of what is going on (cooked) and Lana's wasn't too descriptive (uncooked). Not a great thing to say but also nothing that should have anger Lana so much compared to all the horrible things said about her years ago. 

Lana should have said nothing and ignored it. By her tweeting that, she brought more attention to Ann's review. Now there's a bunch of journalist attacking Lana to defend Ann. Even going after Lana's plastic surgery and name change.  :facepalm:

(I initially did this as an addition to the post above, but it makes more sense as a separate post).

I hate the pushback the author is getting on twitter and social media, and think that fans hunting in packs are the ugliest thing that the internet has bred, but at the same time, the essay is yet another chapter in this awful 'cultural criticism' movement standing in as music criticism that bloomed in the early nineties (maybe a bit earlier too, but that's when I remember it starting). It was championed by people like Greil Marcus, who believed that the difference between them and the artists they were writing about was that a) they were way smarter, and b) their insights were much more interesting, and it was only because the general public was stupid that people preferred to listen to Nirvana's 'Nevermind', than read his 10,000 word Masters thesis that talked about how Cobain wasn't as much of an authentic artist as Neil Young, or a bunch of other guys from 20 years earlier.

For example, in this essay she references the Leonard Cohen song 'I'm Your Man', more as a 'gotcha' to show "see! I know where Lana got this reference from!". But there's no discussion whatsoever about what the Leonard Cohen song is about (he half jokes that he's so in love with the woman he's singing to, that he would do anything for her, from being a doctor to 'wear(ing) a (leather) mask for you"), and how Lana has played with the same imagery throughout her work (Video Games; Without You), and here is using it both ironically (she's taking on the socially understood masculine attributes of protecting and dominant) as well as in a heartfelt way (she genuinely does want to look after him). But if you want to get a B+ in sociology, all you need to do is mention the precursors and suggest that you know what you would have said if you'd gotten around to it.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I really don’t get why she chose this particular review to be upset about. There were parts of the review that I found unnecessary, but it was thoughtful as a whole and clearly you have to be somewhat passionate to be willing to write that fucking much about something.

The stans going after Ann in Lana’s “defense” are really embarrassing.

I just don’t understand why she really even had to make that Joni comparison by using Cinnamon, which isn’t even lyrically strong to begin with :rip:

I see the point she’s trying to make but it’s just a very weak argument.

It’s like saying AKA sucks because the songwriting lacks depth/storytelling then quoting a song like Brite Lites as evidence :rip:

In order to know what the hell was going on, I ended up skimming Ann Powers reviews. :crossed:

Honest to god, I don't think Ann's review on NFR is THAT bad. I was expecting something scathing.

The Joni Mitchell was no big deal either. Pretty much that Joni's lyrics are complete in their description of what is going on (cooked) and Lana's wasn't too descriptive (uncooked). Not a great thing to say but also nothing that should have anger Lana so much compared to all the horrible things said about her years ago.

Lana should have said nothing and ignored it. By her tweeting that, she brought more attention to Ann's review. Now there's a bunch of journalist attacking Lana to defend Ann. Even going after Lana's plastic surgery and name change. :facepalm:

Doesn't Uncooked mean Raw? I don't think that's a bad thing.

I truly hate music critics! How they think their critique even means anything is beyond my understanding. Music is universal, can we all just shut the fuck up and just enjoy music for what it is?!?! Fuck me. ⚰⚰⚰

Honestly I don't understand why the idea that Lana uses personas is so objectionable. If anything, it errs on the side of giving her more credit for knowing what she's doing.

I also don't get the controversy over Lana's claim that no, she is sincere in the moment. If anything, it's an admission that she doesn't have it all together, never did, never will.

The reviewer did seem more interested in name-dropping other musicians for the sake of comparison, than in actually exploring Lana's music. Still, it's okay to be a casual fan. Push-back on misinterpretation, or shallow interpretation, seems entirely warranted (if not exactly necessary). But I wish Lana could have come up with something more to the point than "don't call yourself a fan." Barring that, I wish she could have just blown it off.

Isn't life more interesting when we disagree, AND are able to find constructive ways to talk about it? But neither the monologue of music criticism, nor the serial monologue of the Twitterverse, seem capable of providing a healthy space for actual dialogue.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

You know I'd love if critics actually talked about music, the production, what's known about how and why the album was written- aka review the fucking music- instead of making jabs at their usage of 'personas' and commenting on their plastic surgery and the fact the sing about men when men that sing about women and use personas have been called geniuses for decades  :crossed:

locals only

You know I'd love if critics actually talked about music, the production, what's known about how and why the album was written- aka review the fucking music- instead of making jabs at their usage of 'personas' and commenting on their plastic surgery and the fact the sing about men when men that sing about women and use personas have been called geniuses for decades  :crossed:

:gclap:  :gclap:  :gclap:

48872342571_7a0c89e55a_o.jpg

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

49026257673_2f4aa7ffe4_b.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

49036040161_ea09f965af_o.jpg

49062621147_ab2f6c78a9_o.jpg