NamiraWilhelm

What Are You Reading?

A completely new book in the Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski, titled Sezon burz ('Season of Storms').

I'm not really sure what I think of it, except that it's nice to have something new from the series along the amazing computer games.

i am nothing and should be everything

I'm going back and forth with a couple of books RN:

- Sharon Tate: Recollection by Debra Tate

- Palo Alto by James Franco

Good reads.

I just love books! I wish I had my own library.

lanarecolour01wtxt_zpsdjz4fkyq.png

Ada or Ardor (sounds absolutely stunning said in a British accent) by Vlamidimir Nabokov. Enthralling, though you need to be prepared for not necessarily likable characters. Kinda similar to Lolita in this regard.

And the wind I know it’s cold

Im reading your weaves..jk

I haven't read in a LONG time but I used to like The Vast Fields of Ordinary, Geography Club and 13 Reasons Why

Also, I still have my elementary school Magic Tree House books :O

Ada or Ardor (sounds absolutely stunning said in a British accent) by Vlamidimir Nabokov. Enthralling, though you need to be prepared for not necessarily likable characters. Kinda similar to Lolita in this regard.

I adore that book, and despite its thickness, it is perfect summer read; I remember devouring it on the beach, boiling in the sun. I like the difference between Lolita's aesthetics, where Nabokov interpolates jargon and kooky linguistic hybrids to depict flamboyancy and quirkiness of dizzy nymphet - and everything is fluid, and Ada's more elaborate, baroque, antiquish language, but also intertwined with his neologisms and retrofuturistic juggling with language, to produce the most intricate and sonically exquisite word and syntax delicacies - and all is like flaunting arabesque. (I hope it makes sense in english :D )

I just read book of poems by Ingeborg Bachmann, "In The Storm Of Roses" (the title is a little bit corny in my opinion, but the poems are full-blooded). And I'm just jumping on "The Ugly Rennaisance" by Alexander Lee, with subtitle: "Sex, Disease And Excess In The Age Of Beauty"), can't wait to indulge in the dirty secrets of that era, together with turbulent destinies of classic giants, although I prefer baroque, mannerism, romanticism, fin de siècle and moderna as art eras.

Yeah, summertime sadness (I'm always infected by one) is a perfect target to be beaten with diving through library treasures, unless you are diving through the azures and turquoises of the ocean.

tumblr_nbg6blFb0d1trud11o2_250.gif1e5408c919ff19d8ea5d8b3240bf67ed.jpggiphy.gif

I adore that book, and despite its thickness, it is perfect summer read; I remember devouring it on the beach, boiling in the sun. I like the difference between Lolita's aesthetics, where Nabokov interpolates jargon and kooky linguistic hybrids to depict flamboyancy and quirkiness of dizzy nymphet - and everything is fluid, and Ada's more elaborate, baroque, antiquish language, but also intertwined with his neologisms and retrofuturistic juggling with language, to produce the most intricate and sonically exquisite word and syntax delicacies - and all is like flaunting arabesque. (I hope it makes sense in english :D )

Don't you worry, it does indeed   :smile2: . I agree, there is something irrefutably alluring to his very distinctive prose. Albeit somewhat abstruse at times (some even deem - TOO tangled, trop compliqué), it has that capacity to enchant the reader like hardly anything else did, does and ever will. Given it a closer look, I - a girl unversed in the English language that I am - can remark that it is absolutely essential to achieve the effect he aims at, be it the picturesque picture (please pardon the preposterous paregmenon) of nymphets, be it the labirinthine, arduous world of Van and ardor, I mean Ada. I've still yet to scrutinize the latter - it was my first (maiden) read, therefore merely a try-out - now that I'm familiar with the story, characters and some most superficial characteristics of the language, I am able to actually dive in there. Not right now, maybe even not this summer; I'm going to be occupied with a plethora of other things, books etc. and I need to cool down after that sultry novel. Am I the only one who feels compelled to come back to a good book to fully comprehend it? Can't get it all at the first reading and thus I have that habit of re-reading, questa è una delle mie ostinate consuetudini, vi devo confessare.  :thirst:

(now I am sorry, seems my feeble attempts to emulate more literaire language, under the ineluctably waning influence of Nabokov's writings I've been reading, I'm not used to use, they have sort of got me too far gone... haven't they? I've overdone it I guess. stupid simulacrum of what I really wanted to express... well, shit, at least I tried)

Lanalysis  :creep:

Haven't seen it in a while, has any significant info been added there recently? A fascinating read, BTW, once I've accomplished this and that I'll surely lurk around the thread. I still haven't the faintest idea who K. was :< .

I recently started The Divine Comedy by Dante, and I learned so many archaic words and phrases  :lel:

Good to see I'm not the only one to learn vocabulary from books... 

And right now, Głosy w ciemności (Voices in the Dark) by Julian Stryjkowski. Taking a deep breath, a short break from crazy taxing lingoes and then setting out into the Unknown once again.

And the wind I know it’s cold

Don't you worry, it does indeed   :smile2: . I agree, there is something irrefutably alluring to his very distinctive prose. Albeit somewhat abstruse at times (some even deem - TOO tangled, trop compliqué), it has that capacity to enchant the reader like hardly anything else did, does and ever will. Given it a closer look, I - a girl unversed in the English language that I am - can remark that it is absolutely essential to achieve the effect he aims at, be it the picturesque picture (please pardon the preposterous paregmenon) of nymphets, be it the labirinthine, arduous world of Van and ardor, I mean Ada. I've still yet to scrutinize the latter - it was my first (maiden) read, therefore merely a try-out - now that I'm familiar with the story, characters and some most superficial characteristics of the language, I am able to actually dive in there. Not right now, maybe even not this summer; I'm going to be occupied with a plethora of other things, books etc. and I need to cool down after that sultry novel. Am I the only one who feels compelled to come back to a good book to fully comprehend it? Can't get it all at the first reading and thus I have that habit of re-reading, questa è una delle mie ostinate consuetudini, vi devo confessare.  :thirst:

(now I am sorry, seems my feeble attempts to emulate more literaire language, under the ineluctably waning influence of Nabokov's writings I've been reading, I'm not used to use, they have sort of got me too far gone... haven't they? I've overdone it I guess. stupid simulacrum of what I really wanted to express... well, shit, at least I tried)

Not at all!

I haven't already respond to this excellent post because I stayed appaled by the volume and richness of vocabulary you manage with. My english is not so profuse and prolific, but yes, I also noticed I have an irresistable urge to repeat encounter with pieces that left me breathless, elevated and inspired at the same time.

First time I'm reading some literary dainty, I usually catch and breathe in the atmosphere, the melody of the language, ringlets of tropes and stylistic murmurs and ripples, abandoning myself on high waves of that sparkling superficial coating, just casually brushing off the main protagonists, and then later I dare to get sucked into psychological vivisection and dense, exuberant layers of liaisons dangereuses.

In the beginning I was in a sort of disbelief: is this the same person who stood behind Humbert Humbert's sleaze and the whole speedy and seedy emotional claustrophobia of that doomed and perverted relationship? Because Ada had, in my head, a sort of impressionistic spark and all was in some milky, balsamic, resin patina, honeygold transfusion of verbal molasses and vertiginous meanders that arrested time in one soft, cotton nimbus and everything was like captured in a capsule of paralel universum, while Lolita, although a story about taboo and darkest deviations, seemed to me so hyperreal, so exploding in the face and kicking in the guts.

And yes, I started to notice I am getting exhausted by expressing myself in my own language, and I am challenged to write poems in english, because it is so fluid and melodious, and that situation has a similarity with the fact that I much more easily open myself to a total stranger in the train than to my closest dears.

You made me think. :)

PS. It is easy, but also not at all wrong or punishable, to be absorbed in that simulacrum whirlpool because I believe the sole choice of words reflects the nature of our ponderings and courses of our meditations. I sometimes fear that I sound pretentious, but I don't care, I simply enjoy playing with words and rolling them in my tongue. At least poetry (even the attempts of it) is that consecrated playground that welcomes all sorts of faquir acrobatics, a space of infinite freedom. :flutter: :fabcat:

And yes, what is that book "about the role of vodka and women in lifes of Polish artists during interwar period" called? I would like to read it, if there is an english translation.

tumblr_nbg6blFb0d1trud11o2_250.gif1e5408c919ff19d8ea5d8b3240bf67ed.jpggiphy.gif