NamiraWilhelm

What Are You Reading?

"Cam Girl" by Elliot Wake.

I liked "Unteachable" quite a lot (found it well-composed on the whole, despite the weaker, abrupt ending; I saw potential there) but Wake's newer works... IDK, most of the time, the plot seems lackluster and chaotic, while the characters come off one-dimensional. Such a pity, since I can see it's written by a very talented author and the writing style, oh, it's sometimes even prettier than in his debut novel, but the story itself... I definitely can see some cool ideas break through that all and I've been enjoying the second half of the book so much more than the first one - but the author could have done a hell of a lot better, IMHO. Don't get the hype.

There is actually some plot (as opposed to "Black Iris"), especially later on in the novel, however, I wish the writer had devoted some more attention to the way he wrote it out in practice.

Don't get me wrong, despite all my criticism, I was pleasantly surprised, having read "Black Iris" - if only because of my low expectations. It is readable, at least when the protagonist is not bitching about everything and everyone (which initially happens nearly all the time). And well, I am not the target audience for YA novels anyway; I used to read them once in a blue moon and the only reason my reading habits changed a bit in that regard is that I've been having trouble staying focused. Confronted with a more complex text, I usually end up not understanding it at all, mindlessly staring at the letters like a fucking zombie. :noparty:

And the wind I know it’s cold

I'm reading a bunch of stuff:

A World To Win: The Life and Works of Karl Marx by Sven-Eric Liedman

Love and Capital: Karl and Jenny Marx and the Birth of a Revolution by Mary Gabriel

Up and Out of Poverty by Xi Jinping

Black Bolshevik: Autobiography of an Afro-American Communist

giphy.gif

I began reading The Queen of the Night by Alexander Chee last week and since I'm so bad with reading lately, I'll probably take me a year to finish it. So far it's pretty good though!

Cover art

NEW_Queen+of+the+Night_2_TopCurtain.jpg

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Currently reading The Golden Tresses Of The Dead by Alan Bradley, the latest book in my fav book series ever, and just finished Lily Allen’s wonderful memoir My Thoughts Exactly. Other recent reads include Sounds Like Me by Sara Bareilles, Ava: My Story by Ava Gardner, and The Pelican Brief by John Grisham (I love the movie also)

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

talk to me about books, guys  :poordat: 

I just finished this collection of short stories from Dostoievsky, it was so good :defeated:  He's really one the best writers of all the times. My final thesis on college will be about him and I'm excited

contos-reunidos-fiodor-dostoievski.jpg

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif

just started Twentynine Palms by Deanne Stillman (non fiction abt 2 girls murdered in the Mojave by a marine), but these 2 are in my immediate to-read list:

- The Pillow Book by Sei Shonagon (diary of a 11th century japanese courtesan)

- Animals Eat Each Other by Elle Nash (fiction abt a girl who starts an obsessive poly relationship with a m/f couple)

6CFbFjcu_o.jpg7Dq0bden_o.jpgTaR1Q8qv_o.png

Have you guys heard of The Girls by Emma Cline? I impulsively bought it because it reminded me of the stories Lana told about being in a cult and stuff and apparently the book is inspired by the Manson family. I'm gonna read it listening to Ultraviolence to set the mood  :hooker:

late af but this book is like my obsession so i just have to reply lol. idk if you've read it since, but i loved it so. much. i know it was a critical success, but a lot of people who read it were disappointed because it wasn't the mansonesque thriller it was marketed as but a coming-of-age introspective story abt a not-always-likeable main character who becomes fascinated with another girl and kinda stumbles into a cult bc of it. emma cline is such a good writer, her descriptions of what is is to be a teen girl were sf accurate and beautiful. anyway, if i ever meet lana irl i'm gonna ask her if she's read this book bc i'm 95% sure she has & i wanna bond, lol.

late af but this book is like my obsession so i just have to reply lol. idk if you've read it since, but i loved it so. much. i know it was a critical success, but a lot of people who read it were disappointed because it wasn't the mansonesque thriller it was marketed as but a coming-of-age introspective story abt a not-always-likeable main character who becomes fascinated with another girl and kinda stumbles into a cult bc of it. emma cline is such a good writer, her descriptions of what is is to be a teen girl were sf accurate and beautiful. anyway, if i ever meet lana irl i'm gonna ask her if she's read this book bc i'm 95% sure she has & i wanna bond, lol.

i haven't read it yet, but reading this makes me happy and excited to read it soon  :flutter:

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

TaR1Q8qv_o.png

just finished this & omfg i can't stop thinking abt it! it's a pretty dark novel about a girl who embarks in a poly s&m relationship with a m/f couple with a baby (they're all in their early to mid 20s) and she gets totally obsessed with the guy, who's a wannabe tattoo artist and also a satanist (in the church of satan sense, not in the sacrificing small children & drinking the blood of virgins one). she story is set in the early 2000s and she lives in a trailer park with her widowed mother; she has a drinking & pill addiction and even though it's never specifically mentioned, p sure she has bpd. the prose is STUNNING and it's been 3 days and i'm still reeling.

just finished this & omfg i can't stop thinking abt it! it's a pretty dark novel about a girl who embarks in a poly s&m relationship with a m/f couple with a baby (they're all in their early to mid 20s) and she gets totally obsessed with the guy, who's a wannabe tattoo artist and also a satanist (in the church of satan sense, not in the sacrificing small children & drinking the blood of virgins one). she story is set in the early 2000s and she lives in a trailer park with her widowed mother; she has a drinking & pill addiction and even though it's never specifically mentioned, p sure she has bpd. the prose is STUNNING and it's been 3 days and i'm still reeling.

I wanna read this so badly but can't find a pdf and it's not avaible on my country D: you guys are making me curious

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif