Sign in to follow this  
RileyThomas

Gods & Monsters

Gods and Monsters is in my top 5 favorite Lana Del Rey songs.

I really like the idea behind the song, and it has some of my favorite lines from her.

Fame, Liquor, Love give it to me slowly

Me and God, we don't get along so now I sing

Cause life imitates art

I don't get the G&M hate. Some say the lyrics are trite or cliche, but compared to BE and BD, this song is light years ahead. I rather like the groupie/life imitates art line, I think it's perhaps a clever nod to the people in the press that slam her.  The god's dead line also reminds me of the '66 cover of Time magazine, and the screaming woman brings some cheap old horror film vibe. In my opinion, it's far from one of the worse tracks of Paradise.

OMG this is creepy as fuck sometimes when I have my iPod docked on speakers (like right now) they play songs randomly without me opening the music app and as soon as I closed this thread Gods and Monsters started playing... I didn't even have that album open before

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

There is clearly a lot of controversy over "motel, squeeze, squeeze" or "motel, sprees, sprees" but if you listen closely enough you can clearly here the absence of a "q" sound which is why I'm going for "motel, sprees, sprees".

Personally, my favorite part is the chorus:

No one's gonna take my soul away
I'm living like Jim Morrison
Headed towards a fucked up holiday
Motel speed sprees and I'm singing
Fuck yeah, give it to me
This is heaven, what I truly want
It's innocence lost
Innocence lost

:crying5:

But the whole song is very poetical and I wouldn't call it a cliche. Comparing it with WY (by the way, why with WY?), I'd undoubtly choose G&M and you know, I'm fond of WY.

And the wind I know it’s cold

Maybe this is old news, but she appears to be saying "L.A. L.A." at the beginning, right before the first verse. I never noticed before now, but it really makes a lot of sense given the contents of the lyrics and how it was presented in Tropico. It's more obvious in the Mokadem remix that starts out more acapallaish. 

Maybe this is old news, but she appears to be saying "L.A. L.A." at the beginning, right before the first verse. I never noticed before now, but it really makes a lot of sense given the contents of the lyrics and how it was presented in Tropico. It's more obvious in the Mokadem remix that starts out more acapallaish. 

Just listened to that remix and you are right! That is so cool.

OMG I always kinda sang along to that as "ooh yeah". Really cool!

Oh weird that people didn't know this. Like I always heard L.A, L.A and thought the whole song was about L.A. Like...L.A was where she lost her innocence. It was the land of gods and monsters. Weird. 

sort of ~

I don't think it can possibly be "motel sprees sprees" because it simply makes NO sense. Lana has a lot of weird lyrics that work, but somehow these don't.  And I don't think she'd include them if they didn't work. It's also just a notch too seedy for Lana - motel sprees? Really Lana? ;) Somehow I just don't think this is it, and I haven't seen any alternative yet that sounds or feels right. :/