Ultra Violet

(Speculations) Symbolism & Clues in Lust for Life Trailer

Purely speculation about the hidden clues and symbolism in the Lust for Life Trailer:

In an interview with Pitchfork, Clark Jackson (the director of the album trailer) talked about the themes and hidden context within the video:

What was the concept for this video?

"We wanted to play with the idea of old 16mm instructional videos mixed in with ’50s and ’60s era sci-fi shows. We loved the idea of playing with magic, something slightly noir which is very her, something a little playful which is also very her. And of course we did it because of the reveal of the album title which she’s really excited about. We also wanted to tie in this idea that Lana was talking about the power of positive vibrations and the idea that positive thoughts can make a difference...that's why she wanted to send little hearts out to the world.
We also wanted to put in a whole bunch of hidden tie-ins to the rest of her album. In the end there are not very many items represented there, but each of them means something—each thing was placed on purpose. We want people to ask, “Why a ladder? Why the seven planets?” As songs and the rest of the album are released, they will become more clear."

The video features a bunch of symbols. Most people recognized the Weeknd's XO logo, but what you can tell me about the other symbols? 

"I can’t tell you what all the images were for. Each was important and I think in time, each will be revealed."

What can we expect, visually or sonically, from Lust for Life?

"Just like on the clues in the video, I’ve been sworn to secrecy, but I think I can safely say that the first single is going to be rather Hollywood-centric. It ties in for sure."

So what do you think? What do you think the symbols mean?

1. The very obvious red strawberries
  2. The Hollywood sign and living in the 'H' (The next single is going to be Hollywood-centric, fact from interview)
  3. The ladder
  4. Tears of hearts being poured onto the world (we know that means the power of positive vibes and showing love)
  5. The spinning hourglass and goblet on either side of her
  6. The lightning storm over LA and the galaxy in the sky
  7. The floating telephone and the only directly spoken words being "in these dark times" in the telephone
  8. Cooking in the pan: a galaxy, XO, the Chimera, Mercury, whisk (we know The Weeknd's signature XO implies a new single with him featured, and the galaxy could represent her 'Love' single, the chimera being Chimera Music, and mercury being Mercury Records- its not the moon, look at the patterns.)
  9. The sparks after mixing them together as she sends them out
  10. The 7 planets
  11. The Mount Rushmore past presidents crumbling and the Statue of Liberty flame being snuffed
  12. Writing the album title on the blackboard with chalk
  13. Her ghostly form disappearing
  14. The blackboard drifting up into space

*Unbolded text is what we already know, or is almost a fact. At the end of the post is a list of speculations with the respective clues above. 

NOT ALL OF THESE may be significant. I've just listed the things that may be worth talking about

And here is the script of the trailer for your reference:

“You know, in this town an artist really needs a lot of space when they’re trying to create something special. A place to cultivate a world of their own, far away from the real world that’s around them

Luckily for me, I live right inside the middle of the ‘H’ of the Hollywood sign, and this is how I spent most of my nights: perched high above the chaos that swirls within the City of Angels below. Now don’t get me wrong, I love to dip my toe into the muck and the mires of the city every now and then, especially on Tuesdays. But truthfully, when I’m in the middle of making a record - especially now when the world is in the middle of such a tumultuous period - I find I really need to take the space for myself, far away from real life to consider what my contribution to the world should be in these dark times

So each morning I have the luxury of asking myself: “What shall I cook up for the kids today? Something with a little spice? Something with a little bitterness but is ultimately sweet? Or shall I take the day off and turn down the fire, and just take a moment to send my love to them over the ether?” Because sometimes just being pure of heart, and having good intentions, and letting them be known is the most worthy contribution an artist can make

So, even though these times can feel a little bit crazy, they’re not so very different from what other generations have experienced at one time or another before. Amidst all the uncertainty, and as we transition out of one era into another one, there’s no place I’d rather be than smack-dab in the middle of 'Hollyweird’ making this record for you. Because you and the music, and this place are my love, my life, and my lust for life.”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

And here are the speculations (not yet been proved but do seem likely), Keep posting your speculations in the comments. Below will continue to be updated with the reasonable comments. 

Red strawberries

Someone suggested "Strawberry Fields Forever", possibly a cover of the Beatles (links to Sean Lennon and Chimera Music? +the videos she's posted listening to the Beatles/John Lennon)

Lana's instagram post on her birthday last year was for the Strawberry Full Moon- could this year's Strawberry Moon on June 9th mean something for the album? Possible release date?

​Symbolism of strawberries: spring, rebirth, righteousness, love- Spring release? (or at least part of the album in spring, like more singles and information, March-May)

The Hollywood sign, living in the 'H'

Peg Entwistle theory- Lana is somewhat representing Peg, who was an actress in the 20's and 30's, and comitted suicide by jumping from the H on the Hollywood sign. 

The ladder

The fact that she would need some way to climb up to her home? Or perhaps the ladder symbolises that she has climbed above the chaos of her past (or LA in the video). We cannot see the top of the ladder however- could this mean she can still get higher yet?

Tears of hearts being poured onto the world 

Hearts being her tears could represent suffering being converted into love and compassion?

The spinning hourglass and goblet on either side of her

Hourglass: "Its very shape is made up of triangles balancing each other out. Alchemists interpreted these triangles as representing two aspects of nature: the upper being the sky and the lower equating with Earth."

Cups in tarot cards: "The suit of cups Tarot meaning has to do mainly with the emotional area of your life. It allows you to explore more about your feelings and about the way you connect to the others and to the world."

These levitated and spinning on either side of her could mean she is connecting the realms with her emotions.

Hourglass could also represent time being up (it was out of time in the video) and the new era has begun.

There has been suggestion that the Born To Die video represents Lana as the High Priestess (in tarot cards): sitting on the throne, wearing crosses in the BTD era (connection to the creator), being between life and the afterlife (she dies in Summertime Sadness, Born to Die and that assumption can also be made in Blue Jeans). 

And that in the Lust for Life trailer she represents the Magician: channels universe and manifests in physical reality (her music), the bridge between the spirit world and humanity. 

Together, the High Priestess and Magician represent the female and male energies at their highest. 

The lightning storm over LA and the galaxy in the sky

Lightning can represent chaos and destruction. But another common symbolism of lightning is 'an awakening/quick realisation', often being spiritual in nature, from the heavens. Is LA being struck by new energy?

However, it is a clear night, no clouds, yet lightning still persists. So perhaps the symbolism leans more towards an awakening than destructiveness.

The floating telephone and the only directly spoken words being "in these dark times" in the telephone

A telephone represents channelling information, and she is channelling her thoughts to us through this album. "In These Dark Times" could be hinting at something else to come (a hint at new lyrics?), or perhaps just emphasis on her letting us know that the world is not in the best place currently.

Lana also recorded the script on her phone.

Cooking in the pan: a galaxy, XO, the Chimera, Mercury, whisk 

The chimera may be the symbol of Chimera Music- someone she is working with for a single?

Some suspect Yoko Ono (artist, writer, singer, peace activist and wife of John Lennon of the Beatles) who is connected to Chimera Music, or her son Sean Lennon who is also with Chimera Music (Sean has posted on instagram about the trailer and the symbols)

Sean Lennon being one of the symbols could be hinted in these instagram posts of his: (strawberry fields, working with favourite artist, in studio/ lana liked this post, posted about the moon)

Sean Lennon's band is called Ghost of a Sabre Toothed Tiger, and a chimera is the cover art for their single The World Was Made for Men.

And remember this Chimera Pig-Human post?

What we all originally thought was the moon is in fact Mercury, most likely meaning Mercury Records. The most likely person to collab with associated with Mercury is then Courtney Love, who has tweeted about LFL (from this teaser we also have #mnm to speculate about) 

The whisk could mean 'mixing it all together' or, the Whiskey a Go Go bar- could she collab with an artist who started off from that bar?

"Ingredients found online" 

The sparks after mixing them together as she sends them out

The 7 planets

7 is a number often used in association with Magic.

Someone has suggested they represent the 7 Deadly Sins.

If we know she has a number of collaborations in the album, maybe there are 7 songs that are only her creations. In the video, Lana is the one pointing to them, creating them...

Lana tweeted about NASA's new discovery of 7 planets: Look at the image of the 7 planets here (scroll down the article), and look at the planets she has in her video. Notice they are the EXACT same?

The Mount Rushmore past presidents crumbling and the Statue of Liberty flame being snuffed

Representing the New Age- "Solvet et Coagula"/Destroy to Recreate

Liberty torch being snuffed indicates how suffocated we feel 'in these dark times' of political climate, where liberty is being taken away.

Mt Rushmore suggested to represent "Architecture"

Writing the album title on the blackboard with chalk

Her ghostly form disappearing

Ghostly form may be reference to Peg Entwistle- the ghost of the Hollywood sign.

Maybe disappearing represents that she acknowledges her existence being temporary, that she will make her mark while she can?

The blackboard drifting up into space

To do with the space theme, channelling to the universe, raising positive vibrations of the world with her music.

We know the "griffin" is a symbol for the chimera record label, we just don't know what their role is.

okay, i just wasnt familiar with that label so ill put that in.

Is anyone she is working with from that label?? or speculated to be working with?

okay, i just wasnt familiar with that label so ill put that in.

Is anyone she is working with from that label?? or speculated to be working with?

Yoko Ono gurl

???, ?????????

Do you think the phone is just to symbolize the fact that she recorded the monologue on her phone :toofunny:

I feel like it should have more significance than that :ohno:

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

Some really smart Lanaboards member whose username is slipping my mind right now (sorry sis) mentioned that the strawberries may be hinting at Lana covering The Beatles' Strawberry Fields Forever. I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE if she did that. If she kept the original production generally how it is, I could see it being sonically  :hooker: related to Love. Anyone else hoping she's gonna cover that song? <3

Some really smart Lanaboards member whose username is slipping my mind right now (sorry sis) mentioned that the strawberries may be hinting at Lana covering The Beatles' Strawberry Fields Forever. I would absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE if she did that. If she kept the original production generally how it is, I could see it being sonically  :hooker: related to Love. Anyone else hoping she's gonna cover that song? <3

@Arcadia ? or was she just in support of the theory? idk :)

Do you think the phone is just to symbolize the fact that she recorded the monologue on her phone :toofunny:

Probably, i also thought it could be because a phone is a way to channel information, and shes channeling her thoughts to us with this album

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whisky_a_Go_Go for the whisk maybe? lol im gonna keep reaching til i pull my shoulder

Never heard of it but its interesting, especially the bands who have come from there. 

Any information about Lana being connected to there? has she performed there?

OR could she collab with anyone who started there??