Matt

Movie Discussion Thread

I've been wanting to see that movie for a while now, I believe Sofia Coppola wrote the screenplay and directed it? Is it good?

Yeah she did. She's a very thoughtful director. It's beautiful. Even if you don't appreciate it for the story line, you'll be very impressed by the cinematography. Soundtrack is also wonderful.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

The movies I watched this weekend were Valley of the Dolls (pretty boring although its fun to look at the pretty characters, the last portion of the film is when it gets interesting), Rope (I really liked this one, and I thought it was interesting how the two men that the main characters of the film were modeled after were supposedly gay (as well as the actors in real life who played Brandon & Phillip in 'Rope'), and you got that feeling in the movie, too- apparently that got the film banned in some places), The Big Sleep, and Dog Day Afternoon, although I've seen those before and are some of my favorites, esp. DDA. Al Pacino in his hey day :flutter: :flutter:

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

Guest Maru the Cat

The movies I watched this weekend were Valley of the Dolls (pretty boring although its fun to look at the pretty characters, the last portion of the film is when it gets interesting), Rope (I really liked this one, and I thought it was interesting how the two men that the main characters of the film were modeled after were supposedly gay (as well as the actors in real life who played Brandon & Phillip in 'Rope'), and you got that feeling in the movie, too- apparently that got the film banned in some places), The Big Sleep, and Dog Day Afternoon, although I've seen those before and are some of my favorites, esp. DDA. Al Pacino in his hey day :flutter: :flutter:

I fucking love Rope. I love the idea of shooting a movie in one take, or at least, giving the appearance that it was shot this way.

I have yet to see Dog Day Afternoon which is a pity. :( I fucking love Al Pacino, so sexy :flutter: :flutter: At least I've seen Serpico? That was how I met my last only boytoy, I overheard him telling someone he watched Serpico that weekend and I interrupted the conversation to talk about it with him. So sexy, he had the best beard... :flutter:

I haven't shared my favourite film yet, so I might as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8e7ECdG69U

It's an Australian film, so made totally independent of Hollywood. I remember back in highschool, my teacher was going over the battle of Gallipoli and I was like, "Yo, we should watch this film" and he was like, "What, that's one of my favourite movies, I'm impressed you know about it", and I was like, "Yeah, obviously I know about it, I'm great", and then we fangirled over it while the entire class was staring at us and he agreed to let us watch it.

A few days later, we're watching the movie and the credits finally roll, I turn around to see the reaction of my classmates and... let's just say that all of them had teary eyes, even the "UGH I'M A GUY I'M SO MASCULINE" jocks. It's really hard not to. :( Not a dry eye in that room.

It's a really slow moving movie, most of it is spent establishing the friendship of the two main characters, it only really picks up at the end. I've recommended it to a few people and they've had a hard time getting into it, unfortunately... so just a heads up. I encourage people to stick it out though, it's so forth it. It's also such a quotable movie; there's a scene of dialogue in there that my brother and I always do. I also really love the music in it, there's some odd electronica in it that you'd think would be out of place in a film about WWI, but it just works for some odd reason.

The movies I watched this weekend were Valley of the Dolls (pretty boring although its fun to look at the pretty characters, the last portion of the film is when it gets interesting)

I always confuse this with Welcome to the Dollhouse lmao. I was about to drag.

tumblr_nbdq8rb2Ps1qz85zpo1_400.png

I put Gallipoli on my list... Mel Gibson was so great... before.. well, ya know.

Can we talk about how awful Hollywood is trying to remake/create a sequel to Casablanca and suggesting Joseph Gordon-Levitt for the part of Rick.. I'll just die if this happens.. what really sucks is that a lot of younger people don't realize that many movies these days are re-makes, like with Footloose (though, I don't particularly like the original either)... if it's not broke, why fix it? :/ And, I'm sorry, but JGL is so mediocre, he could never match up to Humphrey Bogart- if anyone in Hollywood, it'd have to be George Clooney imo, but mostly just his facial features/mannerisms. What's next??

(Here's the source: http://ohnotheydidnt...page=2#comments)

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

Guest Maru the Cat

With sequels, studios want guaranteed money and you don't have to spend as much time in development as you have the foundation of the previous movie. :\

Not really a fan of 3D movies, although I did see Tintin and it was great!

I want to start a Tintin appreciation thread (books) but I'd be the only one in it. :(

Even though it's not really film, but more of a mini-series, I've been enjoying "The Kingdom" by Lars von Trier. I ordered the box-set few days ago and watched the first episode with a friend. But I couldn't stop since then... back then in 1994 it was argued it was Denmark's response to Lynch's ( :legend:) "Twin Peaks" and it sort of is. There is this generic narrative of a hospital telenovela laid over a truly disturbing and shocking subtext of anything dark which somehow creeps people out. I did laugh out loudly in some scenes, but just like that I was overly disgusted and paralyzed in other scenes. I am generally obsessed with anything which has this wide gulf between the dark and the light, and this show perfectly embodies this troubling but yet comforting sentiment. Quite contradictory, isn't it? But for me, there is no other way to say it.

It's pretty obvious that it's not an American show because it is shot with quite basic camera angles and uses the Dogma 95-technique for both camera work and setting. I don't want to diminish cinematography produced in America, but sometimes I prefer a less artificial, which is also what I somehow obsess with, format for television.

The series consist of eight to ten episodes, depending on the different cuts issued in various regions but the content is always the same. Those that like Lars von Trier's film work such as "Dancer In the Dark" (shout-out to Björk :blush: ) or the Europa Trilogy will love it! But those that know his recent work such as "Dogville" or "Antichrist" should prepare for a rather prosaic style compared to the extremely aesthetic optic he presented recently.