Say Yes to Heaven

Official Audio: "Lust For Life (feat. The Weeknd)"

I have to wait for the whole album to see how the title track fits as a title track. It may be incidental to the meaning of the other songs, or it may be central. The song itself is pretty good, if a little interludish given the Weeknd's prominent role. It is (a little) symmetrical to LDR's prominent role in Stargirl, because as a feature song, it is a very good one from the POV of the feature artist.  She got the sweetest part of his vocal range and the contrast with her sultry beat-poetry voice is really striking. Yet it's still an egalitarian song; I think both sing all the parts at different times. I don't think it's generic in the sense of any pop songs I'm currently hearing (certainly it's a non-generic feature song);  however, it is derivative intentionally of earlier pop times. I like the ambiguity in the song, or people thinking that taking off clothes or climbing the H is metaphorical. Not saying they're right, but a large part of the charm of LDR (for me) is in not knowing they're wrong. The lyrics and the melody seem characteristic of her, and the production is wonderful. I'm hoping the album credits will show her as lead producer as they did with HM songs.

The song grew on me. I didn't like it when I listened to it for a couple of times, but now everything's fine and I'm happy rn..

I still dislike Abel

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro

https://genius.com/a/how-lana-del-rey-s-lust-for-life-connects-to-an-infamous-hollywood-suicide

I didn't payed attention to the story but after reading this I see the lyrics on LFL in a different light

The way that she's a ghost in the trailer. That she's in color and everything else is in bw, including Abel. The retro dress and those strange gloves.

"Climb up the H

Of the Hollywood sign, yeah

In these stolen moments

The world is mine (do it, do it)

There’s nobody here

Just us together (shut up, shut up)"

Chills...

Then, we dance on the H

‘Til we run out of breath

Gotta dance 'til we die

Chills...

'Cause we're the masters of our own fate

We're the captains of our own souls

There's no way for us to come away

Chills...

They say only the good die young

That just ain't right

There are to many references to this story. That cannot be just coincidence. Someone call Pitchfork...

https://genius.com/a/how-lana-del-rey-s-lust-for-life-connects-to-an-infamous-hollywood-suicide

I didn't payed attention to the story but after reading this I see the lyrics on LFL in a different light

The way that she's a ghost in the trailer. That she's in color and everything else is in bw, including Abel. The retro dress and those strange gloves.

"Climb up the H

In these stolen moments

The world is mine (do it, do it)

There’s nobody here

Just us together (shut up, shut up)"

Chills...

Then, we dance on the H

‘Til we run out of breath

Gotta dance 'til we die

Chills...

'Cause we're the masters of our own fate

We're the captains of our own souls

There's no way for us to come away

Chills...

They say only the good die young

That just ain't right

There are to many references to this story. That cannot be just coincidence. Someone call Pitchfork...

wait so Lana could be a ghost in the song/video? And Abel alive? 

Maybe Lana is playing Peg Entwistle with the retro dressing style? Lana has found her list for life so has returned to be with her boyfriend (Abel) who is still alive?

I guess with 'stolen moments' this could tie in - they are not meant to be together but she has come back to be with Abel?

Only the good die young could also refer to Peg Entwistle - and because it aint right she has returned?

If I am understanding what you're saying here, this is either overanalysing at its finest or pure genius tbh - is this the kind of thing you meant?

Maybe the story of Peg Entwistle inspired LFL (song) - she may have identified with her in the past (quick rise to fame, feeling depressed), but now she's got a different perspective it could be what Lana imagines could have happened if Peg regretted it and wanted to come back? 

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

wait so Lana could be a ghost in the song/video? And Abel alive? 

Maybe Lana is playing Peg Entwistle with the retro dressing style? Lana has found her list for life so has returned to be with her boyfriend (Abel) who is still alive?

I guess with 'stolen moments' this could tie in - they are not meant to be together but she has come back to be with Abel?

Only the good die young could also refer to Peg Entwistle - and because it aint right she has returned?

If I am understanding what you're saying here, this is either overanalysing at its finest or pure genius tbh - is this the kind of thing you meant?

Maybe the story of Peg Entwistle inspired LFL (song) - she may have identified with her in the past (quick rise to fame, feeling depressed), but now she's got a different perspective it could be what Lana imagines could have happened if Peg regretted it and wanted to come back? 

I definitely think this is true. I don't think Lana is alive anymore (or able, but if she's playing Peg, which would make sense with the retro themes, although it's technically the wrong era she's mimicking by about 30 years haha). What we saw in the lyric video was a memory. I think the actual video will reveal more 

it won't be... the song wouldn't make sense without abel lol

Idk many songs featuring artists usually gets a solo version from like a compilation or something even if it isn't release from Lana herself

I saw that she dismissed the Entwistle story. In a way is a smart move because she is steering away from controversies. On the other hand, without the story the LFL lyrics make little sense, they feel like a collection of clichés. She said that she didn"t saw any ghosts in her apartment in the H sign but she depicted herself as a ghost in the trailer. I'm not convinced that she didn't know about the story. Her fixation with the H sig,n, climbing on it and living inside as a ghost, is just strange

I definitely think this is true. I don't think Lana is alive anymore (or able, but if she's playing Peg, which would make sense with the retro themes, although it's technically the wrong era she's mimicking by about 30 years haha). What we saw in the lyric video was a memory. I think the actual video will reveal more 

I hope the video loves up to Love - if it does it could take LFL to the next level!

giphy.gif ldrclashsmall3.png

I love this song and the only thing I have to complain about the how Lana's voice sounds a bit quieter than the weekend's in the chorus

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m