Elle

New Song "Coachella - Woodstock in My Mind" Out May 15

Damn, reading all these replies to this thread made me feel like the song was gonna be bad, but I looooveee it. It does sound kinda demo-ish and the beat is pretty generic, but I fucking love this. It's something different and more hip hop than she's really ever done.  I really love the growling bass in the production and the outro is beautiful. This song will probably become forgettable to me tbh, but right now on first listen, I love it. My favorite song from this era so far.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I really like this song! It sounds different than "Lust for Life", and also than other previous work and I really appreciate this!

I think she has to experiment new styles and she has succeeded with this song because she is not a "single-genre" singer...

"Coachella-Woodstock In My Mind" has brought my passion for her once again! Lana is always able to give us surprises! :)

The only fanbase who is bopping to 30s laptop demos and Princess Superstar productions while hating on a HQ free bonus track.

i guess that explains why it's still #60 on the iTunes (US)

#BuyCoachellaWoodstockInMyMindOniTunes

Buy it once for $1.29 and you can listen to it for your lifetime.

giphy.gif

I have mixed feelings about the song too. However, that dissipated with time. I don't think it's one of her best songs in terms of melody or singing, but I don't think it's a sellout either, and lyrically it's very powerful, imo. 

Starting with the title, I think it's an intentional reference to Joni Mitchell's song Woodstock, where Joni (famously) only had Woodstock in her mind, but nevertheless wrote a quintessentially good Joni song about feeling bad about missing it, while expressing at the same time what Woodstock meant to her. I recommend hearing the 1970 live performance on youtube with its spoken prologue of how she came to write that song. LDR famously misses Woodstock too, because she was born too late (and Coachella is her Woodstock by default). She's also possibly writing herself into the role of the famous Zeppelin song (as that song is very meaning negotiable).

Continuing with the production; it's jarring and uneasy for her, yet still in the vein of HBTB.  I sort of got a PJ Harvey vibe (as in Hope Six Demolition Project), and also a John Lennon vibe, from CWIMM. I think the choice was wise for LDR not to compete with Joni by creating a song with Joni's aesthetics in melody and lyrics, though there are some message overlaps in the two songs (and maybe a bit of Joni reference at the end of the song with the beautiful outro).

i guess that explains why it's still #60 on the iTunes (US)

#BuyCoachellaWoodstockInMyMindOniTunes

Buy it once for $1.29 and you can listen to it for your lifetime.

LMAO I thought there was a DL link, I just listen to it on Spotify, that's why I didn't look into it.

the track is nice but with more time and work on the chorus fitting, it could have been legendary. 

I feel relieved to hear it's not gonna be on the album tho, I like its idea... woodstock, a place and time of peace and for Lana (being the 'I wish i was born in the sixties' type girl) Coachella felt that way. And with dangers and threats arising beyond country lines, Lana wonders how the world got this way. 

I'm surprised to hear people connecting to the message, not because I don't believe in it, but because it feels super hollow. 

"I was at coachella and it was lit and then Trump did some stupid shit that we're lucky didn't escalate and I thought about all these flower crown kids out here and their families, except wait coachella is full of the children of the people who cause incidents like this and that the real pain is outside of the gates of this rich white circle jerk" "Did I mention I was born in the wrong era?"

It's not on the album though, so I don't feel particularly annoyed about it's existence anymore. 

tZ7WN4B.gif

i would love it if it had a dark continuous beat like in the beginning, still she has yet to disappoint me in these six years thus far. 

Also im the biggest princess superstar stan, eventhough she unfollowed my instagram 

I'm surprised to hear people connecting to the message, not because I don't believe in it, but because it feels super hollow. 

"I was at coachella and it was lit and then Trump did some stupid shit that we're lucky didn't escalate and I thought about all these flower crown kids out here and their families, except wait coachella is full of the children of the people who cause incidents like this and that the real pain is outside of the gates of this rich white circle jerk" "Did I mention I was born in the wrong era?"

It's not on the album though, so I don't feel particularly annoyed about it's existence anymore.

This. 100%.

I'm just surprised she didn't make a music video for this where she gives a cop her Pepsi-Cola.

The musician she's singing about is Father John Misty right? Social/political consciousness is kinda his thing. He couldn't have helped out his friend on this one...

I'm exaggerating, but if I were FJM I'd consider unfriending after hearing this.

Well I had one of the mods( that said they're straight) calling me a faggot in a post not too long ago. Shit is fucked up to be honest. I think he even quoted me and saying that shit. What a lovely forum....

Edit: hmm idk I tried to find the post on my lunch break but alas I cannot! I swear it was a certain member but I may be mistaken!

This sounds like something we'd take seriously. I'd be interested in seeing receipts for this. There's only one other mod besides me (and it wasn't me) that might possibly fit your description as being a straight male.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Her early drafts were better tbh

Just noticed Emile lined my cage with one of Lana's early drafts of the lyrics:

That whore Lorde just played Coachella

God, I wanna fucking choke Ella

Getting sleazy with G-Eazy at Coachella

After me he tried to poke Stella

It's like Woodstock in my mind

I need a good cock in my vagine behind

A bad sample, repeated often with unwarranted glee.

I just listened on YouTube and I really like it. I love her voice and it is a little touching. I was waiting for her to say, "God loves you, Bob loves you and I love you"!! (From my videos)  Oh well, someday.

Shamir did a quick little cover of the song on his Instagram -

http://instagram.com/p/BUISlQ4A12l/

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS