Elle

Music Video Premiere: "Lust for Life (feat. The Weeknd)"

I think her living on the H of the obvious Hollywood sign is like living in her own bubble, disconnected from the world.

Then at the end of the song, she decides to go down to the real world, spreading love and hope- hoping for a world peace- the perfect world in other words.

giphy.gif

"The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost ship that can never make port and is doomed to sail the oceans forever."

weirdly i get lana vibes from this, like how uv (album) was about how much you can love somebody despite how bad they are for you and you just end up staying in the cycle of "im killing myself over something i love"

may be a reach but i dont feel like there would be a boat made of ribbons for any other reason

pNjWdpc.png

"The Flying Dutchman is a legendary ghost ship that can never make port and is doomed to sail the oceans forever."

weirdly i get lana vibes from this, like how uv (album) was about how much you can love somebody despite how bad they are for you and you just end up staying in the cycle of "im killing myself over something i love"

may be a reach but i dont feel like there would be a boat made of ribbons for any other reason

Reminds me of Honeymoon and how she sang "we could cruise to the blues"

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

Fuck I love this video. It made me tear up a little, it's beautiful. This entire project has been like watching a mini film for me, the trailer included. I think the beginning of the video is in present time- she's telling us her characters story. We see closeups of her eyes in both Love & Lust for Life- she's showing the world from her perspective and sharing her life with us. 

In Love and the Lust for Life trailer, I perceive her to be older in spirit. She hasn't aged physically because she's a ghost who died many years ago, which we ended up seeing today. Love and Lust for Life are both intended to be in present time- we see people using smartphones in Love and Lana specifically addresses the worlds current affairs during the trailers narrative, likening the current state of the world to past decades in history. She also uses vintage devices such as a rotary telephone which was normal to have when she was alive. In the past I've read theories that when you die, you return to a state where you were at the happiest point in your life. Maybe she died in the '60s, it could explain why she refers to her fans as "kids". Her character would be much older than a majority of her fans. It could also explain why her backup dancers + band joined her in Love & Lust for Life. They have since grown old, died and joined her as ghosts themselves.

During the Love video, there's a shot of what I think is Saturn in the distance. Saturn is portrayed as the God of liberation and time in mythology. He's described as someone who wants people to understand that their time is limited and to use it responsibly. I think Lana stops time when the VHS effect distorts the entire screen in the Lust for Life video because we see her two backup dancers freeze in their positions at that very moment. Time is precious and that may be a huge part of what Lana's character was trying to tell all the young couples in the Love video. She's been in their position before.

In Lust for Life, she says "the world is mine". This changes to "the world is yours" in Love. She's sharing her experience and acting as a mentor, hoping that she can help them by doing so..."seen so much you could get the blues but / that don't mean that you should abuse it" meaning that no matter how hard life gets, inflicting harm upon yourself is not worth it. Most people have had moments where they've wanted everything to stop, but Lana holds life dearly to her heart regardless. She mentioned how scared she is of dying during the Honeymoon era and even discusses the concept of time by reciting Burnt Norton. This is also supported by songs like Shades of Cool & Black Beauty where she tries to help her lover understand that life is beautiful, but to no avail.

Both Lana and Abel portrayed trust so perfectly... it's all in their eyes. The little nuances count in this. I love that she let go of the ladder before reaching the top of the Hollywood sign and trusted Abel to help her up. I love the way she kept looking back at him while running across the sign and right before she slid off the end, he wouldn't let go of her hand until she looked back at him again. It was very cute. The fact that she did that without her shoes on made me think of the first time Moses hears Gods voice and is instructed to take his shoes off because he's standing on holy ground. Lana probably didn't intend for that, but it just crossed my mind. 

The line "my boyfriends back" made me think Abel is dead- perhaps a ghost that can perform magic since he made the ship kite out of a single ribbon. If that's the case then maybe it's a little like Lana in the Lust for Life trailer...they can both do magic. The kite might be a nod to the "captains of our own fate" line. Someone mentioned that it could be representing the Flying Dutchman and I really like that idea...

I do believe the Peg Entwistle theory and think that Lana was roleplaying and being playful when responding to genius on Twitter, so with that being said, the little black book in the video could symbolize a couple things- either a suicide letter just as Peg's was found in her purse by a hiker below the Hollywood sign or maybe Lana was showing Abel all the love letters he never got to receive after he died. We don't see him slide down with her. They consider themselves immortal despite dying because they are still enjoying themselves in the great beyond. All suffering has gone away and they've both finally reached nirvana because they're together again, hence the peace sign.

That was beautiful. :oprah:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

me as soon as I realized we waited a month for this

giphy.gif

in all honesty it's not a bad video but it seems very... underwhelming. I dunno. I liked it but I wanted more. also unlike y'all I have no problem with The Weeknd.

te deseo, cariño

Um like no offense but people who don't like her videos this era are most likely sad, ugly, unloved losers(so basically 90% of the Lanaboarders).

I co-sign this. Maybe we should ask @Elle to take away the posting ability from ppl who are ugly. 

This video is absolutely amazing. And Lana has not looked this good since forever. Is it 2012 again?  :flutter:

That reminded me of the movie from the '50s starring James Mason and Ava Gardner. The Flying Dutchman is depicted as a man in the film, not a ship. Once every seven years, he is allowed ashore for six months at a time to search for a woman who will love him enough to die for him.

Does anyone else not love the idea (which could be true) that Lana just straight up killed herself for a man? I thought this era was about self-affirmation.

I like to think of Lana and Abel as being, kke, two immortals or gods or something. and while they still strive for peace, the world is their playground and they have as much time as they want to have fun

Um like no offense but people who don't like her videos this era are most likely sad, ugly, unloved losers(so basically 90% of the Lanaboarders).

I'm not sure you know what 'no offense' means  :lmao:

Besides, I fit that description and I love the video.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png