Sign in to follow this  
Elle

Lana Covers V Magazine - Interview with Stevie Nicks

This interview was probably done when the album release date was still May 26th  :toofloppy:It's so irritating to read about her favourite song on the record (she mentioned it two/three times) 

and it not being on the tracklist. I agree it was probably renamed to Get Free, but it's still so weird for her to be renaming songs because her titles are often unusual or unrelated to the lyrics (CW, TLY...), so why even bother?

I know we got a short snippet of the interview compared to the actual magazine, but I wish Lana went into depth about the sound and what direction she's intending the album to go in other than 'socially aware'. :pft:

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven 

This interview was probably done when the album release date was still May 26th  :toofloppy:It's so irritating to read about her favourite song on the record (she mentioned it two/three times) 

and it not being on the tracklist. I agree it was probably renamed to Get Free, but it's still so weird for her to be renaming songs because her titles are often unusual or unrelated to the lyrics (CW, TLY...), so why even bother?

There some interesting definitions of "Yosemite" on google if you ask it to define it. Maybe she thought it wouldn't be a good title or maybe the national park had an issue.

Yohhe'meti (Southern Miwok) or Yos.s.e'meti (Central Miwok) originally referred to the Indian tribe that lived in Yosemite Valley. Yosemite means literally “those who kill” (Yos, “to kill,” the modifier e, “one who,” and the plural suffix -meti).

She looks beautiful and there are some really nice shots in this. Liked the interview with Stevie--or at least, interesting to hear what they had to say, even though it felt a little stilted (Stevie: I think this about this thing...Lana: I agree, me too).

Really can't say I agree, like at all, about the whole self-editing thing so that every single piece you put out is 100% positive vibes only. Especially if she wants to make a socially aware album, this idea of "everything's gonna be okay you guys" thing, in this current age, feels very risky. It's just very easy, when you are rich and white and have access to multiple homes and millions of dollars and a group of high-profile, rich friends and can spend your days having fun at clubs and lavish birthday parties, to write something that comes across as "things are gonna be okay...for ME--so good luck to the rest of y'all." 

Negativity isn't an inherently bad thing. It can help bring out problems, address issues, be a motivation for change. It can also be a really powerful way to unite people who are in pain and want to know they aren't alone in their struggles. Positively culture is just completely one-dimensional, as well as horribly alienating to anyone who doesn't have a natural "go get em!" type attitude, and/or to those with mental health struggles or just really large struggles in general that need to be processed. 

I'm not advocating for artists to make really dark, hopeless pieces of art (though they can if they wish), but if you are artificially altering your responses to your own experiences ("self-editing") you are gonna be hard pressed to find people who can genuinely connect with that. 

She looks beautiful and there are some really nice shots in this. Liked the interview with Stevie--or at least, interesting to hear what they had to say, even though it felt a little stilted (Stevie: I think this about this thing...Lana: I agree, me too).

Really can't say I agree, like at all, about the whole self-editing thing so that every single piece you put out is 100% positive vibes only. Especially if she wants to make a socially aware album, this idea of "everything's gonna be okay you guys" thing, in this current age, feels very risky. It's just very easy, when you are rich and white and have access to multiple homes and millions of dollars and a group of high-profile, rich friends and can spend your days having fun at clubs and lavish birthday parties, to write something that comes across as "things are gonna be okay...for ME--so good luck to the rest of y'all." 

Negativity isn't an inherently bad thing. It can help bring out problems, address issues, be a motivation for change. It can also be a really powerful way to unite people who are in pain and want to know they aren't alone in their struggles. Positively culture is just completely one-dimensional, as well as horribly alienating to anyone who doesn't have a natural "go get em!" type attitude, and/or to those with mental health struggles or just really large struggles in general that need to be processed. 

I'm not advocating for artists to make really dark, hopeless pieces of art (though they can if they wish), but if you are artificially altering your responses to your own experiences ("self-editing") you are gonna be hard pressed to find people who can genuinely connect with that.

I agree. It also kind of annoyed me when she became socially aware just because of what was happening in her country, nowhere else.

I agree. It also kind of annoyed me when she became socially aware just because of what was happening in her country, nowhere else.

Can we really blame her though.. That's what we all naturally do, as immoral and unfair as it is

She literally says the track is called "Yosemite," and y'all still are like wow she must've changed it to "Get Free".  Just because y'all are so thirsty to believe that fake tracklist that some obscure website posted (and removed) like a week ago.

She literally says the track is called "Yosemite," and y'all still are like wow she must've changed it to "Get Free".  Just because y'all are so thirsty to believe that fake tracklist that some obscure website posted (and removed) like a week ago.

Yeah I'm really not buying it. The title Heroin seems out of place on this album. But who knows.

Can we really blame her though.. That's what we all naturally do, as immoral and unfair as it is

Agreed. I mean I agree with some that her idea of being socially aware seems a bit watered down, but I don't see why we should all make fun of her for at least trying new subject matter. We haven't heard the album yet. I know Coachella was pretty lame, but the rest of the album could be great, considering Coachella had a rushed production. Idk, I think Lana always manages to be brilliant in some way, so I'm sure she will come through.

You call me lavender, you call me sunshine.

I have a feeling her writing will come out saccharine on this record, too bright and positive and "everything will be ok" when everything won't be ok for so many. I don't see why she feels the need to alter her writing to present this needlessly bright, optimistic image of where we should be.

It's also somewhat patronising, when she omits darker songs and lyrics just because she thinks it'll have a negative impact on listeners (????). Curating her albums will take away from the authenticity of the raw emotion she is so famed for.

Other users above have perfectly summarised what I feel, but I'm just so frustrated by this. Happy writing is fine, but let it come naturally. Sad writing isn't detrimental to happiness. Happy songs dont make you happy.

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif

I have a feeling her writing will come out saccharine on this record, too bright and positive and "everything will be ok" when everything won't be ok for so many. I don't see why she feels the need to alter her writing to present this needlessly bright, optimistic image of where we should be.

It's also somewhat patronising, when she omits darker songs and lyrics just because she thinks it'll have a negative impact on listeners (????). Curating her albums will take away from the authenticity of the raw emotion she is so famed for.

Other users above have perfectly summarised what I feel, but I'm just so frustrated by this. Happy writing is fine, but let it come naturally. Sad writing isn't detrimental to happiness. Happy songs dont make you happy.

Why do you say that when there's WTWWAWWKD??? She already said it doesn't have a happy feeling, so it's not like the album will be 100% too bright and positive...

And so what if she wants this direction for her album? It's hers, right? 

I do think she was inspired by happy things in her life, her changing friends, the way she's partying, everything. Love has a positive vibe and still didn't lose Lana's kind of writing

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

I really dont think its that deep. She says in the interview shes in a better place in her life anyway, maybe she just felt better writing more positive tracks.

The "problem" is you stopped when she released Ultraviolence. It is true that UV is a masterpiece but you, sometimes look really obsessed with the album. 

UV was sad, ironic, it was dark- and now you only want a UV 2.0 and that's why you are not 100% happy with this direction. 

She has evolved from UV, she was also criticised because of it and you know what that era did to her. 

If she wants a happier direction w/ happier lyrics then let her, judge the album when it's out and not before. And just because it could be a happier album that doesn't mean it's going to suck or lose Lana's "magic". 3 weeks more and we'll see

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

I doubt every song on Lust For Life will be bright and positive. Cherry and White Mustang sound like typical sad Lana songs about bad relationships and apparently WTWWAWWKD is so dark that she considered scrapping it. Change sounds quite dark as well. Obviously she will always be Lana, she's not suddenly gonna release songs like Happy by Pharell Williams :rip:

I AM MY ONLY GOD

Here's an article on how sad music actually induces pleasant emotions 

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00311/full

A quote from the article:

"Our results showed a significant two-way interaction between key and musical emotion in tragic, romantic, and blithe emotion. Post-hoc analyses revealed that although the sad music was perceived as more tragic, the listeners did not actually experience the tragic emotion (e.g., gloomy, meditative, and miserable) to an equivalent degree. Moreover, the participants felt more romantic emotion (e.g., fascinated, dear, and in love) and blithe emotion (e.g., merry, animated, and feel like dancing) than they perceived such emotions when listening to the sad music."

Therefore, I'm in agreeance with many users on here that sort of reject this idea of pushing false positivity in a world of "darker times", as Lana herself puts it. She's not in a position where she can affect actual change in the world (or, if she is, she's not exerting this force. And no, turning words to birds doesn't count). Her listeners are naturally drawn to darker themes because they, like many fans of similar artists, want to feel singers empathize with their pain, not hold a lofty position above the rest of the world (in the H of the Hollywood sign, for instance) where they simply observe negative events and comment on how we pions below should keep a positive outlook. If she wants to make a social commentary rather than simply being an opportunist, she needs to start using her position of wealth and power relative to the average member of the population to make a difference, in my opinion. And she's not obligated as a celebrity to do any of these things, but the fact that she is profiting off of the negative turn of world events without giving anything net in return to make a difference is disconcerting and leaves a sour taste. 

For those saying the interview is shitty, keep in mind it isn't the full one. The entire interview will be in the magazine like OP said so maybe there will be some extra info that we weren't already aware of. Anyways, her mentioning Yosemite again and not saying anything about it's questionable status on the record leads me to believe that tracklist may be wrong or only partly right. It seems wrong from a PR standpoint to have a song and title documented in two interviews and not have it on the record.

I doubt every song on Lust For Life will be bright and positive. Cherry and White Mustang sound like typical sad Lana songs about bad relationships and apparently WTWWAWWKD is so dark that she considered scrapping it. Change sounds quite dark as well. Obviously she will always be Lana, she's not suddenly gonna release songs like Happy by Pharell Williams :rip:

Exactly this.

I'm getting really tired when most of you don't acknowledge this 

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

Here's an article on how sad music actually induces pleasant emotions 

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00311/full

A quote from the article:

"Our results showed a significant two-way interaction between key and musical emotion in tragic, romantic, and blithe emotion. Post-hoc analyses revealed that although the sad music was perceived as more tragic, the listeners did not actually experience the tragic emotion (e.g., gloomy, meditative, and miserable) to an equivalent degree. Moreover, the participants felt more romantic emotion (e.g., fascinated, dear, and in love) and blithe emotion (e.g., merry, animated, and feel like dancing) than they perceived such emotions when listening to the sad music."

Therefore, I'm in agreeance with many users on here that sort of reject this idea of pushing false positivity in a world of "darker times", as Lana herself puts it. She's not in a position where she can affect actual change in the world (or, if she is, she's not exerting this force. And no, turning words to birds doesn't count). Her listeners are naturally drawn to darker themes because they, like many fans of similar artists, want to feel singers empathize with their pain, not hold a lofty position above the rest of the world (in the H of the Hollywood sign, for instance) where they simply observe negative events and comment on how we pions below should keep a positive outlook. If she wants to make a social commentary rather than simply being an opportunist, she needs to start using her position of wealth and power relative to the average member of the population to make a difference, in my opinion. And she's not obligated as a celebrity to do any of these things, but the fact that she is profiting off of the negative turn of world events without giving anything net in return to make a difference is disconcerting and leaves a sour taste.

f48fc713-99e0-409c-85d5-6c7afb48ce47.jpg

i literally cried when i found out that my fav singers brought a DOGGO to a studio

~

'beautiful ppl, beautiful problems' reminds me of lindsey buckingham

every single song from stevie nicks will remind me of lindsey

shit i love them so much

im so happy i love stevie if someone told me one year ago that lana and stevie were going to collab i would laugh til 2017

i won a underrated member lipster award im dog im nice don't come for me or i will eat u