Sign in to follow this  
Make me your Dream Life

What Do Each of Lana's Albums Mean to You?

Paradise - this album reminds of exploring the world for the first time. I remember I was obsessed with the Ride opening monologue and the song. This also coincided with the time I went on my first big trip of my life without my family - to LA (I'm from Sydney). Will never forget driving on Californian highways, all the crazy nights, people I met and heartbreak when I left. 

Ultraviolence - reminds me of the time in college where I started to learn to become myself. Looking back, I was still a much lesser and more scared version of myself now, but at that time who I was now - someone more confident, go-getting and free was starting to have it's birth inside of a closetted new adult with no confidence. The album made me feel badass, and also spurred my obsession with New York (Brooklyn Baby / Old Money). Old Money was actually my ex's and I's song, and we flew to New York together with Ultraviolence as the soundtrack of the trip. We broke up there, which in a way of makes Ultraviolence even more beautifully sad when I listen to it. 

Honeymoon - I was very lost at this time. I thought I had found myself, but the people I hung around and lack of direction means I felt like I literally floated and I wasted my life for a good year. The album makes me delirious in a good way. 

Lust For Life - I finally feel like an adult with well-paying stable job, creative and expansive projects and endeavours. I have lots of friends now and am very confident. I am overly conscious of the world around me - I have a sense of existential hyper-awareness tied with socio-political awareness. I want the world and people around me to thrive, and I want to thrive too, but there end of things is always on my mind. 

This was a beautiful post. Thank u for sharing. I feel like I've felt these things that you mentioned too, so it's cool to sorta know someone can understand things that might've not made you feel as strong as you are today.

Glad ur at that point in life, it's always great to be able to take care of those peeps u care about around you. Welcome to the forum! 

UV/Honeymoon

AKA - Hazy Cheap Feeling, like when I relish in the fact I live in Kansas.

BTD - usually Winter , or when I feel like being a whore....lmao

PD - Usually Summer, when I feel like letting some happiness reside within

UV - ALL YEAR, When I feel like letting anger or other strong emotions out. When i feel like recognizing excellence   :creep:  :creep:

HM - Summer most of the time, when I feel like daydreaming or doing just doing something warm.

LFL - When I feel like listening to acoustic excellence, also when I feel like letting anger out I listen to Heroin.  :$

BTD came out when i just got out of rehab at 17 & it was exactly what i needed. i never understood how people felt it was a dark album, to me it's just sunshine and having a good time and appreciating being young. i'd never listened to an album that wasn't tied up in old memories and old ways of being and it helped me so much. same with Paradise as it came out in the winter and i was still getting used to living a new life. Ride will always be one of my favourite songs and it still makes me cry with just those intro chords. it fit whatever life state i've been in: recovered, relapsing whatever.

UV felt more grown up, but out of the bubble of being defined by recovery. which is kind of a scary place to be when you're still only 19/20. it was more of a confused album and more chaotic. west coast was a big deal to me that summer as i tried really hard to make it work and be happy.

HM is way more peaceful and I just never clicked with it. maybe I will when i'm in a more peaceful place lmao.

and LFL has got me in a good if overwhelming place of just starting to make my own way and take some big risks in terms of moving away and perusing the things and people i want to peruse. Love was the perfect single for me in the spring too and actually was one of the first lana songs in a long time to make me cry, although i can't really say why. maybe cause life was moving and she was just out there singing that it was enough just to be young and be present.

I have gold in my veins

AKA- experimentation, doing whatever you like. It kind of inspires me to be as cheeky as I want and not give a fuck about anything else but my life

BTD- it means so much to me because it was the first Lana album I heard and it honestly influenced me to become more diverse in my music taste. I went from being a dedicated rock/metal head to appreciating alternative pop and indie music, which I would otherwise have been a hater of tbh. 

Paradise - inner goddess  :hooker: that no matter how fucked you are, YOU RULE

Ultraviolence- it allowed me to escape from the worst depressive part of my life when I was all alone, living alone in a city I hated, had no friends to see and a relationship that didn't get me. It was a fucked up heaven for me at the time to just listen to this album on repeat 24/7, right up till like 3am

Honeymoon- it helped me escape from a part of life where I was just waiting, and waiting, and waiting for something to happen. It helped me dive into my own world and just come alive from within.

Lust For Life- this album is going to mean everything to me because it is so eclectic like my style, with so many themes I can relate to and just OMG

BTD came out when i just got out of rehab at 17 & it was exactly what i needed. i never understood how people felt it was a dark album, to me it's just sunshine and having a good time and appreciating being young. i'd never listened to an album that wasn't tied up in old memories and old ways of being and it helped me so much. same with Paradise as it came out in the winter and i was still getting used to living a new life. Ride will always be one of my favourite songs and it still makes me cry with just those intro chords. it fit whatever life state i've been in: recovered, relapsing whatever.

UV felt more grown up, but out of the bubble of being defined by recovery. which is kind of a scary place to be when you're still only 19/20. it was more of a confused album and more chaotic. west coast was a big deal to me that summer as i tried really hard to make it work and be happy.

HM is way more peaceful and I just never clicked with it. maybe I will when i'm in a more peaceful place lmao.

and LFL has got me in a good if overwhelming place of just starting to make my own way and take some big risks in terms of moving away and perusing the things and people i want to peruse. Love was the perfect single for me in the spring too and actually was one of the first lana songs in a long time to make me cry, although i can't really say why. maybe cause life was moving and she was just out there singing that it was enough just to be young and be present.

I don't really know who u are, but what the hell, I like ur perspective and can just empathize with it.

Honeymoon I get what you're saying too, but I actually love the album, there's def a looming sense of peril and horror to it if you listen close enough. She never really made much of a secret garden vibe to it, but that's what I'm reminded of when I'm listening.

Same with LFL too, definitely

AKA - Hazy Cheap Feeling, like when I relish in the fact I live in Kansas.

BTD - usually Winter , or when I feel like being a whore....lmao

PD - Usually Summer, when I feel like letting some happiness reside within

UV - ALL YEAR, When I feel like letting anger or other strong emotions out. When i feel like recognizing excellence   :creep:  :creep:

HM - Summer most of the time, when I feel like daydreaming or doing just doing something warm.

LFL - When I feel like listening to acoustic excellence, also when I feel like letting anger out I listen to Heroin.  :$

Lana does Summer so goooood  :icant: 

I know BTD was released in Winter, but I started watching her music videos long after in the summertime, and fell even more with her music after watching them. Blue Jeans still ruins me. TIWMUG in any season. 

Sad hoes all the time with Paradise it's all good  :smokes2: 

For me, personally each album just sorta awakens all these feelings in me, I hate it and love it at the same time. I usually listen and sing to Cruel World, driving around when I need to let of some steam (UV's amazing for that imo) and listen to Honeymoon the track, when I need to feel understood.

Gotta update al this with LFL tho 

UV/Honeymoon

It's amazing how different experiences we all have  connected to the same albums. 

In general her music has followed me throughout my twenties, and been very formative, as I imagine it has for most of us on here. BTD and her unreleased material was an awakening to me. I started seeing the world and exploring it differently - everything could be an adventure when seen how Lana sees the world (in her songs at least).

With UV I was still high off that adventourous feeling, but around that time life also started to change for me. With Honeymoon I was in a chaotic evolving state and with  LFL I'd say I was a very different, more mature person who was ready to take on some challenges I had been postponing. 

I still love her music to death, but I've also felt the need to disentangle myself a bit from that very sensual way of living in your own little world that her music first inspired in me.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  As a result LFL is definitely the album that had the least impact on me. There are beautiful tracks on there, but it wasn't the life-altering experience that BTD or UV were to me, because I was in different place mentally.

But I'm not counting out the possibility that she will rock my world again. I remember after Tropico, I temporarily had a distinct feeling of Lana-saturation, feeling like she had played out her role as the most inspiring artist in my life. I think I even made a melodramatic blogpost about it. Then she dropped West Coast a few months later and I was right back on the Lana-train  :hottie: