Sign in to follow this  
veniceglitch

Pitchfork Interview: "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness: A Conversation With Lana Del Rey"

I love how opiniated she sounds. She doesnt give a fuck. I noriced that with Zane too. She just straight up let it notice if she thought a question was stupid or if he was crossing a line etc. She's looking out for herself and she's self-aware which is great. I can understand she doesnt wanna talk about her grim circumstances every week when the album cycle comes around so she moves on.

All the roses are red, and Jupiter too 

i love lana so much. it's so rare that anyone--much less a woman--gets the kind of control that she has over her music. i used to complain a bit about lana surrounding herself with yes men but now i get it. the music industry fucking sucks for artists like her but she's managed to carve out this niche that will keep her going. i admire that, as someone who gave up on a music career because of all the bullshit that comes with it. 

i am also psyched to read her answer about UV (the song) because that line has always bothered me. her growth is so apparent and it makes me happy as a fan, and as a feminist tbh, that she has moved past romanticizing abuse and holds her relationships to higher standards now. 

let me be who i'm meant to be

hearing her feelings on some of the political stuff was nice, as a feminist i was kind of shocked back when lana said she found feminism uninteresting and reading now why she felt that way and how the american presidential situation changed her feelings was like, yes thanks for talking about it

pNjWdpc.png

This interview helped me re-appreciate and realize just how much strength and determination she has had to have to go down the path she did. This whole thing could have never happened had she just caved in and gone in the directions people wanted and that would have blended in with what everyone else was doing. Or it could have very, very well stopped completely after BTD and we would have never gotten anything else---and that would have been perfectly understandable, considering how much hate she got during that time. Very few people would realistically keep going in a public way after dealing with those circumstances (because again, for anyone who was not around during the BTD backlash from all corners, it was not just the typical hate that all new musicians get in some doses when they make it big, it was near-unprecedented the way people attacked every single aspect about her).

Every album she's put out has been a testament to her strength of surviving all the bullshit and going with her vision. To me, that makes her a role model to everyone who is or feels different from the pack. She lets you know to just keep going and to show up with your full self, even if not everyone will connect with it or understand you. 

Best thing she's done in the last four years, great interview, she finally addresses all the controversies she's had since 2012 and clarifies her personal issues and lyrics. It's shocking for me to have her finally admit that Ultraviolence, both the song and the record, are that autobiographical. Never looking to Honeymoon and Ultraviolence the same way after this interview, I mean, I know she said they were autobiographical but she used to defend it by saying the lyrics were also part of her imaginary... This is the most human she's been portrayed in a long while, I hope the fans that read this interview finally realize Lana's not a goddess to be praised eargerly

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

One of her best interviews. So genuine. I like that while we're learning information about the new record, the interviewer also dips into past records. It's interesting hearing about Black Beauty and how that song can still be relevant to her current life. I also liked how they talked about the missing lyric in Ultraviolence. I had actually noticed that last year while she was doing her little festival tour, and made a post about it wondering what that was all about. It's interesting to hear now.

(@ 1:00 & 2:10)

Also, one of my undying questions has finally been answered.. I finally know what songs Lana sang at Kimye's wedding. :angie:

& I truly hope Lana is doing alright. Her emotions were so raw in this interview. Sending her all my love and positive energy, as always. x

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

Another great interview - thanks for sharing! I guess I can understand now what she meant that Yosemite is too happy, she's simply "not there yet". Although I'd love to hear it one day...

I feel sorry for her, for all the bad relationship, for feeling trapped and for unrespectful and crazy fans. Those are mad things to do! The thought of doing such things would never enter my mind!

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Best thing she's done in the last four years, great interview, she finally addresses all the controversies she's had since 2012 and clarifies her personal issues and lyrics. It's shocking for me to have her finally admit that Ultraviolence, both the song and the record, are that autobiographical. Never looking to Honeymoon and Ultraviolence the same way after this interview, I mean, I know she said they were autobiographical but she used to defend it by saying the lyrics were also part of her imaginary... This is the most human she's been portrayed in a long while, I hope the fans that read this interview finally realize Lana's not a goddess to be praised eargerly

How do we know what's the truth though? It's so hard for me to figure her out when she seems to tell conflicting things. In an interview a few months ago, she basically admitted to playing a persona for BTD, but now she's saying that all of it has been who she really is. First, Ultraviolence was part of her imaginary side, but now it's completely true to her. I just can't figure her out and what's the truth and what's not. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

Not gonna lie, the way she described bailing after performing at Kanye and Kim's wedding made me laugh.

It's a shame that she might not be as happy as we expected at the start of this album cycle, but homegirl is obviously dealing with clinical depression of some sort, and that shit is not linear at all. Some days are good ones and some days are bad ones, and I appreciate her being so candid about what she does and does not want to talk about (namely, her issues with alcohol - every time she's promoting an album it comes up and I feel like that must be so hard for her to rehash all the time). I think she has grown a lot, for what it's worth, and her head is in the right place even if she still struggles.

One of her best interviews. So genuine. I like that while we're learning information about the new record, the interviewer also dips into past records. It's interesting hearing about Black Beauty and how that song can still be relevant to her current life. I also liked how they talked about the missing lyric in Ultraviolence. I had actually noticed that last year while she was doing her little festival tour, and made a post about it wondering what that was all about. It's interesting to hear now.

(@ 1:00 & 2:10)

Also, one of my undying questions has finally been answered.. I finally know what songs Lana sang at Kimye's wedding. :angie:

& I truly hope Lana is doing alright. Her emotions were so raw in this interview. Sending her all my love and positive energy, as always. x

Not to get fake deep or anything, but her opening up about being uncomfortable with that lyric now (and also uncomfortably familiar enough with the context to write it originally) struck a chord with me because for awhile I couldn't listen to the song, since not only am I a victim of abuse, but my abuser's name was Jim. So the whole song fucked me up when I first heard it. I avoided it like the plague, and ironically, when I sang along to it, I skipped that same line because it made me feel disgusting. 

So I'm glad she's coming to terms with her emotions, her past, and the ability to let things go. I would never judge her for having those relationships (not her fault), those feelings, or writing a song like that. I know where it comes from, even though it wasn't a boyfriend inflicting the abuse in my case. But it puts the entire Ultraviolence era into a new, raw perspective for me. 

What makes you feel proud?
My records. I love my records. I love them. I’m proud of the way I’ve put parts of my story into songs in ways that only I understand. In terms of my gauge of what’s good, it’s really just what I think. I have an internal framework that is the only thing I measure it by. My own opinion is really important to me. It starts and stops there.

Lanalysis canceled