Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

Y'all act like this album is bad as an Ed Sheeran album or something, even though it might be Lana's worst, it's still be better than your fav's best

:wowcry:

Yes!

Y'all act like this album is bad as an Ed Sheeran album or something, even though it might be Lana's worst, it's still better than your fav's best

I bought Ani Difranco's and Depeche Mode's latest at the time I bought LFL, and while I thought LFL did just fine by comparison to those, it's not a competition (i.e. different artists, different strengths and weaknesses, and all that).

And speaking of Ani Difranco…

Just what kind of positivity was LDR tapping into for LFL and how should she have promoted activism (which I guess includes feminism) in her artistic work and in LFL specifically? I don't know, but Ani Difranco made some very general comments about positivity and activism, in connection with her recommendable release, Binary (June 9th, 2017). What I like about it is that I could easily imagine LDR saying words like these about positivity and activism (or at least agreeing with them). There's also a couple places where Ani seems to resonate specifically with LFL lyrics (e.g., nobody can make me feel lonely, people are powerful things, if we hold on to hope, we'll have a happy ending, words turning to birds). Sure Ani is likely a better activist and writes better specific songs about activism (e.g. Binary has songs on abortion and teaching pacifism, but it also songs about spiders and sasquatches!). But my point is the two artists overlap on *positivism* a goodly amount.

I still stand by my LFL tracklist and I can't listen to the album in the usual order anymore... It's so incohesive.

Lust For Life

01. Love

02. Lust For Life (ft. The Weeknd)

03. Groupie Love (ft. A$AP Rocky)

04. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind

05. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing

06. Heroin

07. God Bless America

08. Tomorrow Never Came (ft. Sean Ono Lennon)

09. Change

10. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems (ft. Stevie Nicks)

11. Get Free

Best American Record EP

01. 13 Beaches

02. Cherry

03. White Mustang

04. Best American Record

Summer Bummer / In My Feelings (double A-side)

01. Summer Bummer (ft. A$AP Rocky and Playboi Carti)

02. In My Feelings

I think she should've released the Best American Record EP in mid 2016 as a bridge between Honeymoon and Lust For Life. Cherry being the single (obviously).

Launch Love as the lead in February 2017. Lust For Life as the second single in March, Coachella and Groupie Love as buzz singles with pre-order in May. Album dropped on May 26th and Groupie Love pushed as 3rd single. Get Free the final single in July before the tour.

Whilst on tour she could've dropped Summer Bummer and In My Feelings as a double A-side - then it would have been the diss track to G Eazy.

yeah but Cherry and White Mustang were only recorded in March/April 2017... which we tend to forget when opposing the acoustic/quieter/romantic and the political/collaborative/messy sides of the album

and the album would’ve been the worst thing ever if 13 B, Cherry and White Mustang hadn’t been in it

I don’t know how I feel knowing that there are multiple KNOWN versions of LFL.

The first version (which may have been an entirely different song altogether, e.g. - Melancholia), the Max Martin version, the version based off the Max Martin version, the alternate final version

:defeated:

I’m seriously dying to hear what the melody of the original verses sounded like before she did the whole spoken/chant thing. #LeakLFLDemos

It blows my mind knowing there are most likely several demos/alternate versions for every song she has in her main discography.

I'd love to hear Honeymoon demos and the laptop Cola demo.

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

Are there any? I mean if Coachella made the album, I think we heard them all.

Yeah I think there's 4 political outtakes that we know exist but we don't really know anything else about them.

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

and scrapped forever. They probably are great precisely because they were more committed than the trashy ones we got on the record. And that’s a shame we never got to hear any song in which she was taking a stand. There are high chances that at least some of them were part of the 18 tracks Lana has said to be on the record for sure around May 2018

and scrapped forever. They probably are great precisely because they were more committed than the trashy ones we got on the record. And that’s a shame we never got to hear any song in which she was taking a stand. There are high chances that at least some of them were part of the 18 tracks Lana has said to be on the record for sure around May 2018

I’d kill to see what the first few tracklists looked like before all the rearranging

lol I'm pranking my friend (who is also a stan) that Lana decided to start over & make a trap album, tho I can see it happening irl

Don’t jinx it

Hell, I Suppose if You Stick Around Long Enough, They Have to Say Something Nice About You

i dont think anyone is ever gonna warm to lust for life lmaoo, it definitely is a bad seed in her iconic discography. unlike honeymoon, which was obviously hard to adjust to for some but at least it was cohesive and true to her aesthetic

i didn't say it was bad i just said it was ugly

insanity laughs under pressure -- we're cracking

LFL is an interesting album for me from the point of view of getting me into other people. Elsewhere (i.e., the lyrics thread for Get Free) I mentioned Neil Young; however, Sean Lennon has also become an artist to watch. His second solo album Friendly Fire (2006) reminds me a lot of LDR's leaks/unreleased (the dreamy, wistful, introspective, lovelorn side of it). The only thing his songs lack relative to hers is that incomparable singing voice, which he didn't have, of course, but I gotta say I'm happy he produced those songs. He's also done a lot of interesting stuff since then. Ghost of a Saber-Tooth Tiger (aka GOASTT), with his multi-instrumentalist, co-singer/writer, and hot-model girlfriend (hope that's still going on), small-budget movie soundtracks, and an ongoing collaboration with Les Claypool (of Primus, another interesting band, LDR's collab with Sean indirectly lead me to). In the Claypool Lennon Delirium, Sean seems much more of a guitar badass than his father was. Finally Sean's youtube interviews are also space-ily metaphysical. In short, I don't think he's a token feature by any stretch but much more of an influence like Jewel or Joan Baez is sometimes thought to be.

As for the song Tomorrow Never Came: contradictory comments from LDR interviews suggest a certain coyness about it, ranging from "That [song] was the only one I thought was not ‘my’ song or not for myself. I wasn’t really thinking about anyone in particular when I wrote it"-- TheSun.UK to "I had listened to his [sean's] records over the years and I did think it was his vibe ... it felt very meant-to-be [commenting on the final version of the song, imo]. Because that whole concept of peace and love really is in his veins and in his family."-- Dazed interview. Finally, in the Die Ganze Woche interview, she even explicitly says the song is about an "ideal" relationship *like* John's and Yoko's, which is ironic AF (in the Alanis Morissette sense of ironic) as some random crazy asshole (more and more common these days) ended it. Anyway, here's a link to that last interview:

I still stand by my LFL tracklist and I can't listen to the album in the usual order anymore... It's so incohesive.

Lust For Life

01. Love

02. Lust For Life (ft. The Weeknd)

03. Groupie Love (ft. A$AP Rocky)

04. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind

05. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing

06. Heroin

07. God Bless America

08. Tomorrow Never Came (ft. Sean Ono Lennon)

09. Change

10. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems (ft. Stevie Nicks)

11. Get Free

Best American Record EP

01. 13 Beaches

02. Cherry

03. White Mustang

04. Best American Record

Summer Bummer / In My Feelings (double A-side)

01. Summer Bummer (ft. A$AP Rocky and Playboi Carti)

02. In My Feelings

I think she should've released the Best American Record EP in mid 2016 as a bridge between Honeymoon and Lust For Life. Cherry being the single (obviously).

Launch Love as the lead in February 2017. Lust For Life as the second single in March, Coachella and Groupie Love as buzz singles with pre-order in May. Album dropped on May 26th and Groupie Love pushed as 3rd single. Get Free the final single in July before the tour.

Whilst on tour she could've dropped Summer Bummer and In My Feelings as a double A-side - then it would have been the diss track to G Eazy.

I never thought of separating some songs into an EP, so I did yesterday like you did with a few switches here and there and OMG. It sounds even better than my first rearrangement! This confirms that this album should've been split. Thanks for this post. I even added C-WIMM back and I don't like that song.

i know this is old news but rip cherry vid! did she ever actually film anything for it? for some reason my brain connects cherry vid rumors w that ig post of her marina fka twigs and that other girl, idk what happened w that tho. i think it was just people being excited but idk i jus remembered about this and i'm curious if we had any confirmed information about the mv

UbsOye5.png