Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

Okay, buckle up, because I've been delving into some of the symbolism of Cherry and 13 Beaches... Why? Because I think that LFL (as an album) deserves a second chance and maybe we can find something interesting in the lyrics.

Let me start off by saying that I've tried to support my arguments with some literature (as will become apparent), so please be kind when you disagree with any of this :)

I'd like to argue that the fruit mentioned in Cherry and 13 Beaches have symbolic meanings and that they refer to reflections on fame and Hollywood. 

First, let's take a look at the following line of Cherry:

What does she actually mean by this? It's hard to tell, because it doesn't make any sense in the literal sense, but if we look at the symbolic meaning, we get this:

Now, if we interpret cherries as "the delights of the blessed" and peaches as "the quietness of virtue", we could argue that what Lana is saying is actually:

"I'm blessed to be famous because it gave me a lot. I try to stay out of the public's eye, but paparazzi always seem to find me", i.e. her delights and quietness are ruined.

Moreover, her "rose garden dreams" (or how she pictured what it'd be like to be a famous Hollywood star) were not as carefree as she had imagined; the reality is that "it's like smiling with the firing squad against you" and that "you just stay lined up ('cause what can you do?)". With the firing squad possibly referring to paparazzi or camera men at red carpet events. 

Next, let's look at 13 Beaches:

13 Beaches seems to be a continuation of the same themes in Cherry - her struggles with fame and Hollywood. Whereas in Cherry her cherries and peaches were completely ruined, in 13 Beaches she seems to be more accepting of being photographed, but we shouldn't forget that her peaches are in fact "dripping".

It's as if she was saying first "Leave me alone", and now she says "I still want to be left alone, but alright, sometimes you may go ahead and take your pictures". 

Sorry for the essay, I kinda got lost in my own thought process lol, so it might not seem very coherent.

Makes sense!

Okay, buckle up, because I've been delving into some of the symbolism of Cherry and 13 Beaches... Why? Because I think that LFL (as an album) deserves a second chance and maybe we can find something interesting in the lyrics.

Let me start off by saying that I've tried to support my arguments with some literature (as will become apparent), so please be kind when you disagree with any of this :)

I'd like to argue that the fruit mentioned in Cherry and 13 Beaches have symbolic meanings and that they refer to reflections on fame and Hollywood. 

First, let's take a look at the following line of Cherry:

What does she actually mean by this? It's hard to tell, because it doesn't make any sense in the literal sense, but if we look at the symbolic meaning, we get this:

Now, if we interpret cherries as "the delights of the blessed" and peaches as "the quietness of virtue", we could argue that what Lana is saying is actually:

"I'm blessed to be famous because it gave me a lot. I try to stay out of the public's eye, but paparazzi always seem to find me", i.e. her delights and quietness are ruined.

Moreover, her "rose garden dreams" (or how she pictured what it'd be like to be a famous Hollywood star) were not as carefree as she had imagined; the reality is that "it's like smiling with the firing squad against you" and that "you just stay lined up ('cause what can you do?)". With the firing squad possibly referring to paparazzi or camera men at red carpet events. 

Next, let's look at 13 Beaches:

13 Beaches seems to be a continuation of the same themes in Cherry - her struggles with fame and Hollywood. Whereas in Cherry her cherries and peaches were completely ruined, in 13 Beaches she seems to be more accepting of being photographed, but we shouldn't forget that her peaches are in fact "dripping".

It's as if she was saying first "Leave me alone", and now she says "I still want to be left alone, but alright, sometimes you may go ahead and take your pictures". 

Sorry for the essay, I kinda got lost in my own thought process lol, so it might not seem very coherent.

giphy.gif

?

he said ur fat and delusional

I really needed all the pop bangers this album served like LFL, cherry, groupie love, summer bummer, and change!

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

he said ur fat and delusional

giphy.gif

I guess some people like to make the same joke twice a day to show the internet that they really are funny  :toofunny: . Great contributions lol

giphy.gif

I guess some people like to make the same joke twice a day to show the internet that they really are funny  :toofunny: . Great contributions lol

tea @@Wynwood is disgusting.

same with @ Loves Me - both fat and abusive!

Not LFL, 

I have uploaded a full song version of Cinnamon on soundcloud.

It's made from the snippets on instagram. 

I would have posted this on the NFR thread, but it isn't working for me.

{Link below}

{Link above}

giphy.gif

Tomorrow Never Came sounds so nice at "lay lady lay" but then the rest of the song just doesn't match how magical that part is :rip:

I find a lot of Lana's songs give me different feels at different times.

In Meet me in the pale moonlight - after '' when you gonna ditch that stupid .....'' 

I feel alive

No Lana song can make me feel like Meet me in the pale moonlight does

giphy.gif

Heroin is still THAT song

IKR! In my top 10 Lana songs ever. Got half of my username because of it. Wow, her impact!

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Tomorrow Never Came sounds so nice at "lay lady lay" but then the rest of the song just doesn't match how magical that part is :rip:

I think the song up until the first chorus is that magical. The chorus is so... Boring, and I like Sean's voice but it just isn't magical, that's all.