Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

i think it's just because there's too many mediocre songs: white mustang, in my feelings, coachella etc.

but imo the album is pretty from god bless america down

the no taste jumped out :awkney:

i need to stop talking about lust for life ahahaha

but for the sake of 'discussion'...

what i was trying to say is that to me the first half of the album feels very messy, and imo from gba down it feels the most coherent (and i also just adore folk lana)

i know y'all dont like god bless america.. but the bridge and the way it blends into the chorus is heavenly

bpbp, tnc, and change are all beautiful

and then you've got heroin and get free, those don't need any explanation

i do want to apologise for what i said about in my feelings though, i'm sorry about that

blue eyes, and jazz, and attitude

i need to stop talking about lust for life ahahaha

but for the sake of 'discussion'...

what i was trying to say is that to me the first half of the album feels very messy, and imo from gba down it feels the most coherent (and i also just adore folk lana)

i know y'all dont like god bless america.. but the bridge and the way it blends into the chorus is heavenly

bpbp, tnc, and change are all beautiful

and then you've got heroin and get free, those don't need any explanation

i do want to apologise for what i said about in my feelings though, i'm sorry about that

ok i can agree with that. the first of the album feels like it doesn’t even belong with the second half.

i wasn’t trying to attack you i was just being shady :kiss: luv a fellow zelda fan

Hello everyone, this might be a really obvious answer but can anyone direct me to the video of this alternative Lust for Life video clip?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8teEYXT9D2g

I can't see it on Lana's channel on YouTube and it's not showing up in searches . . ? There's no mention of it on the trusty Lana wiki page either.

3lfQEhw.png

Hello everyone, this might be a really obvious answer but can anyone direct me to the video of this alternative Lust for Life video clip?

I can't see it on Lana's channel on YouTube and it's not showing up in searches . . ? There's no mention of it on the trusty Lana wiki page either.

That was the "official audio" video that was out when the song came out. It probably got deleted when the official video came out.

it was cute, but was super slow (it was him and her looking at each other in slow-motion). 

That was the "official audio" video that was out when the song came out. It probably got deleted when the official video came out.

it was cute, but was super slow (it was him and her looking at each other in slow-motion). 

its actually still on her channel, its just unlisted. Go to playlists, and its under "Lust For Life" or something like that

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

I've been on these cold meds and they're making me have these crazy dreams, but um ... is there such a thing as a studio recorded, acoustic version of Cherry? Or even a high quality live acoustic version of Cherry?

It was in my dream and it was actually fucking brilliant and folksy and amazing. It was like if Cherry was a Jewel song, but with Lana's vocals. I've had it in my head all day, and then I went and listened to the LFL version and wanted to neck myself because my dream version was so much better.

So just in case it actually exists and I just can't find it/forgot about it, I thought I'd ask. Does it exist or nah?

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream

I've been on these cold meds and they're making me have these crazy dreams, but um ... is there such a thing as a studio recorded, acoustic version of Cherry? Or even a high quality live acoustic version of Cherry?

It was in my dream and it was actually fucking brilliant and folksy and amazing. It was like if Cherry was a Jewel song, but with Lana's vocals. I've had it in my head all day, and then I went and listened to the LFL version and wanted to neck myself because my dream version was so much better.

So just in case it actually exists and I just can't find it/forgot about it, I thought I'd ask. Does it exist or nah?

Oh Jewel! I remember her  :flutter:. 12 year old gay me would be bopping to her songs  :dance:  :grinds: . Didn't she also collaborate with Rick Nowels on many of her songs? 

OT: I don't think it exists, but if you ask @@butterflies nicely, maybe he could make an awesome folksy remix?  :brows:

Here you go  ;)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35cTIXoBnuw

Cannot stand the collabs on this album. All of them sound extremely awkward, mismatched, and jarring.

yup. i adore stevie nicks in particular but beautiful people was such a useless song jesus christ. absolute waste

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

Cannot stand the collabs on this album. All of them sound extremely awkward, mismatched, and jarring.

TNC (with the original bridge) and Groupie Love sound good to me. Summer Bummer’s features add nothing of substance to the song imo; Carti’s adlibs are annoying background noise and A$AP’s part is nothing that you can’t hear in just about any other rap feature by anybody. It would’ve been better off had she added the higher background vocals and better production to the So Good demo. The verses on BPBP are good to great but the chorus falls extremely flat imo. I can appreciate that she took such a sad, lonely song and turned it into something more positive but something about “we gotta try every day and night” just sounds lazy tbh.

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

TNC (with the original bridge) and Groupie Love sound good to me. Summer Bummer’s features add nothing of substance to the song imo; Carti’s adlibs are annoying background noise and A$AP’s part is nothing that you can’t hear in just about any other rap feature by anybody. It would’ve been better off had she added the higher background vocals and better production to the So Good demo. The verses on BPBP are good to great but the chorus falls extremely flat imo. I can appreciate that she took such a sad, lonely song and turned it into something more positive but something about “we gotta try every day and night” just sounds lazy tbh.

I'd listen to Stevie sing a McDonald's menu, but I agree. That song is really a microcosm of the entire album ... just messy, and could've been so much better with some small tweaks.

I love how we all revert to bitching about LFL when we can't think of anything else to say on the NFR thread. :smile3: 

You know, this album was my shit for the couple months after it came out and now I never listen to it. Pretty much the only songs I ever listen to are White Mustang and Cherry. This has to be my least favorite album she’s released except maybe Paradise which I also never listen to anymore. They’re probably tied for me in last place. 

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I love how we all revert to bitching about LFL when we can't think of anything else to say on the NFR thread. :smile3:

Same lmao. All this being said, the last four songs on the album and maybe 13 Beaches I still consider to be highlights of Lana’s released discography (@ everybody I stan TNC fight me). With some tweaking and trimming of the track list it really could’ve stood up with/to BTD tbh. I love LFL but I’d only rank it above Paradise

Just a quick idea for a trimmed/altered track list; not a final concept lol

Young and in Love

Something Real

Lust for Life

So Good

The Next Best American Record

Cherry

White Mustang

Heroin

Tomorrow Never Came

Yosemite

Change

Get Free

*Y&IL would have strings similar to those stem snippets that leaked

*SR would have the horror-esque strings 13 Beaches supposedly lacks

*LFL would be the “art song”/“Blade Runner” version

*So Good would be finished with no rap features and include the bridge present in SB

*TNBAR would keep its intended video (:crossed:)

*Cherry would have a heavier/more-present guitar and the solo/lead part present in the outro when played live

*TNC would have the lyrics from the original bridge (“Lennon and Yoko, I guess those days are gone / Baby, you have to forget, and I have to move on”) and in (my) perfect world would be the FJM feature some of us have been thirsting for

If by not 'up to par' you mean distilling the worst elements that only kind of work in songs, sure. I could put a dictionary audiobook on shuffle and put it to an instrumental of old money and some of y'all would still be saying it's 50/50 lmfao.

8LQ1.gif

Same lmao. All this being said, the last four songs on the album and maybe 13 Beaches I still consider to be highlights of Lana’s released discography (@ everybody I stan TNC fight me). With some tweaking and trimming of the track list it really could’ve stood up with/to BTD tbh. I love LFL but I’d only rank it above Paradise

Just a quick idea for a trimmed/altered track list; not a final concept lol

Young and in Love

Something Real

Lust for Life

So Good

The Next Best American Record

Cherry

White Mustang

Heroin

Tomorrow Never Came

Yosemite

Change

Get Free

*Y&IL would have strings similar to those stem snippets that leaked

*SR would have the horror-esque strings 13 Beaches supposedly lacks

*LFL would be the “art song”/“Blade Runner” version

*So Good would be finished with no rap features and include the bridge present in SB

*TNBAR would keep its intended video ( :crossed:)

*Cherry would have a heavier/more-present guitar and the solo/lead part present in the outro when played live

*TNC would have the lyrics from the original bridge (“Lennon and Yoko, I guess those days are gone / Baby, you have to forget, and I have to move on”) and in (my) perfect world would be the FJM feature some of us have been thirsting for

Also, Get Free would be an original song rather than a Radiohead cover. :oic2:

ETA:

Agree wholeheartedly about Cherry. My dream version of Cherry is very folksy, almost a Fleet Foxes type of sound, with much more guitar.

I've come back to this thread bc this past record's era was actually, went actually a lot smoother than the density of what we're going thru now. Always loved this record, not kissing arse, bc let's face it, coulda been more cohesive, less censored, and more, visually cohesive yet variant bc of all the diff types of tracks on this record but. 

- The cover, vintage feel to it, aside from what we've gotten from the Honeymoon UO vinyl version, truly fit the song anthropology aspect of this body work this time around. High genre crossover, high music exploration
- Cover was visually highly saturated from the LOVE video that was really such a powerful message, and so so hopeful in (at least for me) was/is/thru a bleak perspective on life ('least at the time) 
- The LOVE posters were amazing to find, even if YAIL leaked early and messed things up promo wise, at least part of it.
- LFL album trailer was the cutest wtf videos we've seen so far. Title track music video, was stiff, but reminded me so much of the Blockbuster video stores, so extra nostalgia. 
- Messages on the record were real hopeful, and had solemn moments of magic that could help u thru, if only u try and find it in the melodies and production moments. 
- WM video was a betrayal, but the video still had great frames and production value.
- LA to the Moon tour had an amazing feel and great looks 
- Really broke our perspectives on how Lana was as some kind of goddess to more like an actual human breathing being ~ makes me feel like I can change *ah's in Heroin* 

July 21st fam, and the magazine betrayals were horrid to have gone thru, but least we got to hear her experiment w her sound and image. 
WHEN THE WORLD WAS AT WAR BEFORE, THAT BRIDGE WOWOW femd1g.jpg

UV/Honeymoon