Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

Lust for Life is such an underrated album, especially the second half. It’s biggest flaw is it’s so long. It’s kinda sad so many people seem to hate this album. And the subtle witchy lyrics popping up here and there really made the whole experience more fun.

I think it's her best 

It's only my dark city, only my new man...

I actually like that it's long. it's very convienent for travelling. The only songs I don't really care about on this album are White Mustang, Coachella and Groupie Love, the rest is amazing. The countermelody in God Bless America makes my musical heart bounce <3. 

With respect to the Cherry/expletives discussion that was all the rage back in the NFR pre-release thread just a little bit ago, I'd like to come out in favor of her expletive use in that song. My reasons range from "eeww"- types (i.e., she swears really sexily, imo) to more critically-inclined ones (i.e., the production literally drips with reverb and percussion, like a leaky faucet, so why not drip with expletives?). I would also be remiss if I did not mention the deeply feministic message minimalistically conveyed. Bitch is an expletive directed toward her; whereas Fuck is an expletive aimed outward coming from her (to her paramore/critics?), so with this interpretation the song ends optimistically.

Btw, in the spirit of a bad-acid flashback, here is an earlier take of mine on the issue of expletives in a different context. Shameless, that I would bring it up, but well .... fuck it.

Lust for Life is such an underrated album, especially the second half. It’s biggest flaw is it’s so long. It’s kinda sad so many people seem to hate this album. And the subtle witchy lyrics popping up here and there really made the whole experience more fun.

After UV this is my fave of hers, plus the second half is just GREAT. Love the political songs, they're some of my fave of all time (GBA, WTWWAW, TNC, Heroin and Get Free)

original.gif

I went to a record store today and checked Lana’s albums, they only had one copy of Honeymoon and two of LFL left and Honeymoon was more expensive. It was as if the record store said quality costs more. :hooker:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

Change, Coachella, Summer Bummer, and In My Feelings

Cherry and White Mustang were also additions to the album after February/March 2017

Wow I am shocked. I thought SB was intended to be on it.

Mfhp.gif

I just wanna say that I never get tired of this album but I need to get this out of my chest:

This is one of her best songs. It still baffles me how she recorded it in four hours. The lyrics are so strong and meaningful, the minimalist production, how emotive Lana's voice is, and the fact she comes right before Get Free. I feel like Heroin, Change and Get Free are like their own segment inside the album and Change is like a climax, idk how to explain I just love this song so much and I'm glad I got to see it live. 

0202eb1bfde4aba2bb47d244fd197dbd75770dc2

into your eyes tumblr_olomd1pIFG1u8tvjvo2_500.gif my face remains

I don't know if it's been discussed / mentioned already, or how relevant it is, but does anyone else feel... uncertain about the references to the H of the Hollywood sign in the title track and the trailer? Didn't someone commit suicide by jumping off it? I know it's probably a coincidence or at least not the meaning, but also having the first line to a song called 'lust for life' be a possible reference to suicide is kind of interesting. Some of the songs, like cherry, have a very tongue-in-cheek feeling to them. Following lfl with 13 beaches makes more sense if it's a purposeful reference, with lines like 'we dance on the H of the hollywood sign.... gotta dance til we die' and even the infamous 'take of all your clothes' taking on a much more cynical meaning

locals only

I don't know if it's been discussed / mentioned already, or how relevant it is, but does anyone else feel... uncertain about the references to the H of the Hollywood sign in the title track and the trailer? Didn't someone commit suicide by jumping off it? I know it's probably a coincidence or at least not the meaning, but also having the first line to a song called 'lust for life' be a possible reference to suicide is kind of interesting. Some of the songs, like cherry, have a very tongue-in-cheek feeling to them. Following lfl with 13 beaches makes more sense if it's a purposeful reference, with lines like 'we dance on the H of the hollywood sign.... gotta dance til we die' and even the infamous 'take of all your clothes' taking on a much more cynical meaning

In Heroin she is talking about a dead lover and the wish (?) to stay alive even when she wants to die. LFL is sometimes really dark.

Mfhp.gif

In Heroin she is talking about a dead lover and the wish (?) to stay alive even when she wants to die. LFL is sometimes really dark.

I'm definitely not the biggest fan of LfL but some of the songs hit you different after a while

locals only

The H of the Hollywood sign... H like Heroin... Suicide and death through drug abuse...

We-

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

It is still a delight to listen to this album, but I'm realising it just isn't as emotionally close to me as any of her other work. When LFL plays I just think of the road trip I was on where I first listened to it on loop, but there is no emotional value to it for me, despite Lana's intentions for it to be for us. Even Heroin which is one of my favourite Lana songs does not have anywhere near the effect of any song on UV or HM.  

when I hear UV and HM I think of my darkest times when these albums really helped pull me through shit. Same with BTD and PD. I

should probably consider it more positive that I wasn't in need of a saving album when LFL came out, so it kinda feels like Lana's albums have progressed with my own growth, but I honestly still like to romanticise the times when I wanted to die and just calmed down by listening to Ultraviolence? Sorry, dark, and uncalled for, but..

I think the album I really *needed* at the time of LFL was the witchy album we were teased and robbed of. I was SO ready for something to empower my femininity and my personal drive, but I didn't get it. So I feel like I was kind of left hanging.

https://genius.com/videos/How-lana-del-reys-lust-for-life-references-a-hollywood-suicide?utm_source=recirculated_content

869-DEC9-E-0-FB4-4-EAF-82-CA-790-EF45189

gdi lmao.

And I agree with Ultra violet, she's got such an obsession w hollywood and recent american history there's no way she wouldn't know. Especially with the 'shut up's and 'do it's mentioned in the link- I didn't catch them when I listened. Dark.

locals only