Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

I can't stop thinking about how this would be perfect thematically as the final track on the album if Lana were to be consistent with having the final song being a cover that summarises her feelings / the theme of the album.

1. It would flow great after Get Free

2. The references to vibrations across the nation and the movement of a generation fit the whole "global" feel she spoke about a lot

3. The flowers in your hair relates back to the album cover...

4. The summer of love theme in general tying back to Love and the whole aesthetic and vibe she was going for with California in the 60s

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

I can't stop thinking about how this would be perfect thematically as the final track on the album if Lana were to be consistent with having the final song being a cover that summarises her feelings / the theme of the album.

Cool idea

What do you think it would a nice cover for NFR? I would say obviously For Free

Cool idea

What do you think it would a nice cover for NFR? I would say obviously For Free

I honestly think about this every time I listen to a Lana album and it always spins me out to remember that Paradise, Ultraviolence, Honeymoon and Norman Fucking Rockwell! all have covers. It's really not that common for big artists to do that (and she wanted to put an Elvis cover on Born to Die too)

Yeah For Free or any other Joni Mitchell song would seem an obvious choice but of other references on the album maybe Helplessly Hoping by Crosby, Stills and Nash because it seems musically similar to what she is leaning towards idk if it's really very on the nose thematically and I don't know their catalog well enough for lesser known songs

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Now that we have the lfl demo, what do y’all think?? Especially with the album trailer being a totally different vibe than how the album turned out. This album was undeniably a mess and it makes me mourn for what could’ve been :/ best american record, the lfl demo.... rest in peace

UbsOye5.png

Now that we have the lfl demo, what do y’all think?? Especially with the album trailer being a totally different vibe than how the album turned out. This album was undeniably a mess and it makes me mourn for what could’ve been :/ best american record, the lfl demo.... rest in peace

That myth about the trailer being from a "witchy version" of Lust for Life is damn annoying. It isn't. She added a few songs last minute... that is pretty much it. She wanted the trailer to be witchy. And even when the album came out she still played the witch role thingy.

I like Lost For Life a lot more when I think of it as a compilation album for the years she worked on it rather than an intentional record. I like all the songs on it at least a little bit, and the lyrics actually reference each other a lot more on re-listen so it is cohesive thematically. It's a cute album, it just doesn't fit in with the rest of her discography as it lacks a cohesive sound and statement. I think we'll grow more fond of it in a few years as nostalgia for that era grows. LFL brings back fond memories of the LFL Pre Release Thread, the LA to the Moon tour, driving in my car with guys with this album on. I can't dislike this record for that reason. It's like a time capsule

I agree. I believe this is the album I have the most memories attached to.

it almost makes me think the album was destined to be a mess. some of the tracks go together but like there's two distinct but conflicting sonic concepts. also very interested which of those two sounds her cactus cover had

CAUSE BACK IN SCHOOL

WE ARE THE LEADERS OF IT ALL

That myth about the trailer being from a "witchy version" of Lust for Life is damn annoying. It isn't. She added a few songs last minute... that is pretty much it. She wanted the trailer to be witchy. And even when the album came out she still played the witch role thingy.

I think lots of people expected songs explicitly referring to being a witch or doing magic (which even Stevie Nicks doesn’t really do). I honestly find the album we got to be very witchy, both in atmosphere and subtly in the lyrics. I actually find the demos kinda less witchy than the album. If there’s a “witchy version” it’s definitely the album we got.

75db99d920c2ca66a0ee7e5c2de27df4181ca688

I didn’t mean the witch thing, I just meant in general nothing about that record seems to match. The album trailer kinda can go with the Love video I guess, which goes with the album cover but that’s all I can remember. Thinking about BAR, the new demo we have, and the music at the beginning of the album trailer (which did not reflect the album sonically at all) just makes me even more confused about what she was thinking or trying to do and what happened to the original concept :defeated: like that snippet that was the supposed Love demo (idk if that’s fake if it is ignore this) that had oriental strings or whatever they called it doesn’t match any of this either

it almost makes me think the album was destined to be a mess. some of the tracks go together but like there's two distinct but conflicting sonic concepts. also very interested which of those two sounds her cactus cover had

eggs act ly

UbsOye5.png

i'm gonna do my LFL ranking and i honestly believe it's highly controversial  :flop:

1. Summer Bummer
  2. Heroin
  3. 13 Beaches
  4. Cherry
  5. White Mustang
  6. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing
  7. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
  8. Get Free
  9. In My Feelings
  10. God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It
  11. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind
  12. Lust For Life
  13. Tomorrow Never Came
  14. Love
  15. Change
  16. Groupie Love

Wq9zHLl.jpg

I'm constantly torn between whether LFL should have had a darker sound (not exactly 'witchy', but dark futuristic, ominous, sorta), or a folk-like sound with that 60's touch. 

"Darker" songs, instrumentally, vocally or lyrically: When i look at these, the themes are what we usually expect from her

-Lust for life (blade runner version)

-Lust for Life (verses of the Final version)

-In My Feelings

-Summer Bummer/So Good

-Beautiful People (Demo)

-Cherry

Folk/60s songs: These are the ones she mostly had to try harder to fit with the political theme

-Love

-Coachella WIMM (which somehow ended up having some darker elements to it, like the same background bass/synth as IMF, but obviously should have been folk/60s)

-Get Free

-Groupie Love

-Yosemite?

-Best American Record

-God Bless America

-WTWWAW

-Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems

-TNC

-Change

Songs that I can't really place, Like they are just her regular sound or went in their own direction, and like the 'darker' songs above, these are what we usually expect from her.

-White Mustang 

-Chorus of the Final Lust for Life

-13 Beaches

-Heroin

-Lust for Life (Demo)

-BAR should be here but the opening guitar is too folky for me to ignore.

This is why it's all so messy cause the album was torn into three directions with the majority trying for a 60's throwback, which worked and failed at the same time???

It's like she had her eye on that theme for the album overall, because it was for the fans and she wanted us to come together and feel something strong like people felt back in the 60's with Woodstock and war protests and human rights movements. But then she wanted to mix in some other songs that had her usual themes and/or with a darker sound, so instead of blending in they just stand out.

ranking

1. 13 Beaches

2. Heroin

3. Tomorrow Never Came

4. In My Feelings

5. Groupie Love

6. Love

7. Summer Bummer

8. Cherry

9. Get Free

10. God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It

11. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing

12. Lust For Life

13. White Mustang

14. Change

15. Coachella Woodstock In My Mind

16. Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?

Beskrivning saknas.

I believe in Flipside/Is This Happiness?/Your Girl supremacy

if a bitch can dream this would be my version

1. Something Real

2. Beautiful People

3. Heroin

4. Best American Record

5. Tomorrow Never Came

6. Yosemite

7. Roses Bloom For You

8. Change (lap steel version)

9.  When The World Was At War

10. Lust For Life

11. Young and In Love

12. Life Is Beautiful

13. some lo fi cover like Fire by Jake Bugg

and a very witchy album cover like the one portrayed in the trailer

i'm gonna do my LFL ranking and i honestly believe it's highly controversial  :flop:

1. Summer Bummer
  2. Heroin
  3. 13 Beaches
  4. Cherry
  5. White Mustang
  6. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing
  7. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
  8. Get Free
  9. In My Feelings
  10. God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It
  11. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind
  12. Lust For Life
  13. Tomorrow Never Came
  14. Love
  15. Change
  16. Groupie Love

Mines would be

1. Heroin

2. 13 Beaches

3. Cherry

4. Get Free

5. Change

6. In My Feelings

7. Beautiful People Beautiul Problems

8. Gob Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It

9. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing

10. White Mustang

11. Tomorrow Never Came

12. Summer Bummer

13. Groupie Love

14. Love

15. Lust For Life

16. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind

The top 5 are the only ones I really listen to now.

This is still one of my favourite albums and I listen to it all the time. I know it seems to be the common least favourite among fans, but I've always adored this album. I think my love largely comes from the fact this album was released during the best year of my life, so it sort of served as a sound track for it & listening to it always fills me of the memories of happier times.

Here's my ranking:

1. Cherry

2. Tomorrow Never Came

3. Heroin

4. When the World Was at War We Just Kept Dancing

5. 13 Beaches

6. Change

7. Summer Bummer

8. God Bless America - and All The Beautiful Women in It

9. Groupie Love

10. In My Feelings

11. Get Free

12. White Mustang

13. Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind

14. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems

15. Lust for Life

16. Love

I really love all of these songs so much - the only ones I have a tendency to skip are the last 3 x

(if the Lust for Life demo was the one included on the album, it would've been either my #4 or #5 spot)

Here's also what my ranking was the album first came out, it's changed up quite a bit over the past 2 1/2 years, except for the first 2 which have always stayed the same:

1. Cherry

2. Tomorrow Never Came

3. In My Feelings

4. Groupie Love

5. When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing

6. Change

7. White Mustang

8. 13 Beaches

9. Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind

10. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems

11. Summer Bummer

12. Love

13. God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It

14. Get Free

15. Heroin

16. Lust for Life 

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

1. 13 Beaches

2. Heroin

3. Get Free

4. Cherry

5. Change

6. Tomorrow Never Came

7. Summer Bummer

8. Love

9. God Bless America - And All The Beautiful Women In It

10. Groupie Love

11. In My Feelings

12. When The World Was At War We Kept Dancing

13. White Mustang

14. Beautiful People Beautiful Problems

15. Lust For Life

16. Coachella - Woodstock In My Mind

Lana Del Rey Honeymoon GIF

This is still one of my favourite albums and I listen to it all the time. I know it seems to be the common least favourite among fans, but I've always adored this album. I think my love largely comes from the fact this album was released during the best year of my life, so it sort of served as a sound track for it & listening to it always fills me of the memories of happier times.

Here's my ranking:

16. Love

I'm so intrigued by your dislike/ambivalence of Love! I have noticed this among a few members - personally I find the song to be uplifting, nostalgic, light and gives me a warmfuzzy feeling. What drags it down for you? 

It is one of my favourite songs from her.

@All Other Members pls weigh in. 

3lfQEhw.png

Love is lanas worst released song

Yeah yeah I know people think this, but can you break that down a little for me as to why you think that. Lyrics? Melody? Vocal delivery? Production? Circumstance? Personal association bias? 

Just incase someone says 'All of them' or just one word, I'm hoping it could be elaborated on. :) 

3lfQEhw.png

for me personally, it's not that i hate/dislike love, i don't think there is anything wrong with it. i think it's just... not that exciting or emotionally driven. it's a cute song, it's positive. but i feel like in her discography she has a lot of songs that are more exciting/experimental/noteworthy or more heartfelt and emotional. also LFL is my least favorite lana album and personally i really don't think ANY of the tracks on that album stand out to me that much except for maybe heroin. 

Glitter Graphics: the community for graphics enthusiasts!kendrick Longie (jaydon23longie) - Profile | Pinterest Fireworks - Jitter.Bug.girl, fireworks , glitter , gif - Free animated GIF  - PicMix

Oh, for a moment I thought this was the "Unpopular Opinions" thread because clearly Love is very cute, although I will admit that the first time I listened was whilst watching the mv and I'm a fucking sucker for that aesthetic, so that helps.

I guess people in Australia simply have better taste. Amirite @takeitdoen

Lust for Life album version is absolute rubbish compared to the demo. I mean there are parts of both that I like, and ideally I'd combine those parts in Audacity or some shit, but I'm dumb so I can't.

ur legit gonna look the same stop buying oil of Olay face cream