Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

I'm sorry, but if you only listened to LFL 5 times from cover to cover, or if you rearranged the tracklist, you can't have an opinion on this album. Period. 

Lana makes storytelling albums. True, you can listen to songs separately, but you miss the bigger picture. You have to let yourself be told a story, and you need to listen to the album a couple of times from cover to cover to understand it. She is one of the few that does that. 

For all of her albums, there was always a part of them that I was more attracted to at first. But after a few weks of listening, the songs you like the least become the ones that sunk in and that you prefer. 
With UV, I loved songs 1 to 6, and the last ones were a bit of the same to me; then I learned to hear the subtilities of them and I love them as much as the first 5.
With HM, the last part of the album was the one i prefered; now, when I think of HM, the songs before the interlude are the ones that come to mind.
With LFL, I was drawn to the first half of it. Then, the latter songs have struck a chord with me and I love them all. 

LFL is more diversed, but it tells a story and is not a Spotify playlist as many of you said before. It's not my fave from her, but it is certainly not the mess you all bitch about when you only listened to 5 songs. 

What we can say is that Lfl really moves from style to style real fast, and so it's difficult to get that kind of momentum that all stories usually feed their audience with. I guess bc we're used to Lana dishing up that cohesion, that Lfl's considered to be lacking of it. 

I personally do love the album, and although the songs might be more pronounced when it comes to each indiv track, the sounds varying from one subgenre to another made it trickier to follow sonically. That's why I personally think of it as an organized anthology of work, tied to themes about finding those small glimmering moments in life, and making it gleam all happy and meaningful again. 

I'm still gonna say it, that the cover could've been so much more than what it was. The magazine rollout for the album was phenomenal, but all we got was a seemingly quick taken photo outtake from the Love vid, which I do love, but how photoshopped it looked, and the color scheme, teal/aquamarine -ish, with the greyish off white border. I just didn't like it as if it were trying to be so dated, whereas the cover's we've gotten from before felt more natural and progressed to look even more and more classic as time went by. 

I've found some beautiful spots to really listen to the music from the album, and excellent drives in either really hot or cold weather, during specific times of day and so on, but idk there's just been a disconnect, two cents

UV/Honeymoon

What we can say is that Lfl really moves from style to style real fast, and so it's difficult to get that kind of momentum that all stories usually feed their audience with. I guess bc we're used to Lana dishing up that cohesion, that Lfl's considered to be lacking of it. 

I personally do love the album, and although the songs might be more pronounced when it comes to each indiv track, the sounds varying from one subgenre to another made it trickier to follow sonically. That's why I personally think of it as an organized anthology of work, tied to themes about finding those small glimmering moments in life, and making it gleam all happy and meaningful again. 

I'm still gonna say it, that the cover could've been so much more than what it was. The magazine rollout for the album was phenomenal, but all we got was a seemingly quick taken photo outtake from the Love vid, which I do love, but how photoshopped it looked, and the color scheme, teal/aquamarine -ish, with the greyish off white border. I just didn't like it as if it were trying to be so dated, whereas the cover's we've gotten from before felt more natural and progressed to look even more and more classic as time went by. 

I've found some beautiful spots to really listen to the music from the album, and excellent drives in either really hot or cold weather, during specific times of day and so on, but idk there's just been a disconnect, two centsI 

I love your point of view. It's nuanced. 

I think was summarizes best LFL was the caption she made when she released the tracklisting, which was handwritten: Lust for Life / Lost for Life? 

It captures beautifully the essence of the album, when you are at a crossroads in your life and you are a bit "all over the place". True, the album varies for subgenre to subgenre, but I don't find the shifts too abrupt. That album is the result of so many factors: the leaks, the personal events in her life, etc. Its diversity sounds fresh in her discography as a whole, even if it wasn't meant to sound like that at first, like we all know. 

Cherry's production aged to my ears

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks so, it aged to me a few months after the release.

And before you come for me, let me just add that I think the studio version of Cherry is dull but I really like the live version.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I love your point of view. It's nuanced. 

I think was summarizes best LFL was the caption she made when she released the tracklisting, which was handwritten: Lust for Life / Lost for Life? 

It captures beautifully the essence of the album, when you are at a crossroads in your life and you are a bit "all over the place". True, the album varies for subgenre to subgenre, but I don't find the shifts too abrupt. That album is the result of so many factors: the leaks, the personal events in her life, etc. Its diversity sounds fresh in her discography as a whole, even if it wasn't meant to sound like that at first, like we all know. 

Ty and no yeah, I guess for me, listening to record in full was pretty difficult to do at the time, so I just clung to moments that I felt were beautiful and just let it take its course. I'd remember I'd always go to this one spot at night at our cities star center where I can see the city from below, listening to the record. I loved how cold it all felt to me, weather wise too. 

I personally loved the entire era as a whole, I mean I hated July 21st fam, but really who didn't, but the Love posters, the music videos we got, it was a pretty fruitful album cycle. I'm not gonna lie, I still don't really think of all that much of IMF, it's pretty limp imo, Coachella has some iffy lyrics, but the overall message and the outro/bridge is beautiful. I actually don't really mind the collabs all too much, it's all still pretty listen-able. I love TNC, but I guess since the song kinda just reminds me of a dreamy trolling song about not getting anything done, I tend to skip it. Those are my complaints. 

Her voice is still so beautiful ofc in all of them tho, and I can appreciate the sentimentality, and how delicate the record is, especially when the listener's just in a tender and fragile headspace and place in their lives. It's been comforting

and I agree, the lack of cohesiveness, actually packages how diverse she can be in sound, while still sounding pretty uniform to the album exclusively. I guess if you don't really dissect it as much, what comes back to the surface is that what she put out is a kind of gateway record, her coming from her own headspace to the rest of the world, and the quality's still there, so it's a win win. 

UV/Honeymoon

I'm sorry, but if you only listened to LFL 5 times from cover to cover, or if you rearranged the tracklist, you can't have an opinion on this album. Period. 

Lana makes storytelling albums. True, you can listen to songs separately, but you miss the bigger picture. You have to let yourself be told a story, and you need to listen to the album a couple of times from cover to cover to understand it. She is one of the few that does that.

THERE IS NO STORY SIS. There is no cohesiveness. No matter how many chances I give this album...It's just not an album. It's two albums at best. I actually love most of the songs, but they just don't belong together. If I had no idea who Lana was, if I knew nothing about her or her discography and someone played me this album, I'd think it was a "Best of" :um3:  It just sounds more like a compilation album if anything

I'm kinda focused on being a baddie right now. I can't really work.

Lust for Life has a story. At least from my interpretation, but it was too fragmented and very subtle.

Love is the opening (All you need is love) and Lust for Life is the theme.

13 Beaches starts with her wanting something real

Cherry shares the same theme with 13 Beaches, she wants something real and the one she falls in love with is also problematic

White Mustang continues her classic "falling in love with a bad guy" theme

Summer Bummer is her summer loving, and her trying to escape his demons

Groupie Love reveals that this was a bittersweet story about her falling in love with a star.

In My Feelings was the track where she finally sees the light and breaks up with him

Coachella was the start of act ii (or you can call it an interlude) where she connects her inner self with the outer world

same with God Bless America and When The World Was At War

Then she starts changing her inner self starting with Beautiful People where she recognises her problems

Tomorrow Never Came is a little cute throwback track with her lover

Heroin and Change are her songs where she realises that she wants to be in a better state of mind

and Get Free is the conclusion and also the start of her journey of "out of the black, into the blue"

giphy.gif

Lust for Life has a story. At least from my interpretation, but it was too fragmented and very subtle.

Love is the opening (All you need is love) and Lust for Life is the theme.

13 Beaches starts with her wanting something real

Cherry shares the same theme with 13 Beaches, she wants something real and the one she falls in love with is also problematic

White Mustang continues her classic "falling in love with a bad guy" theme

Summer Bummer is her summer loving, and her trying to escape his demons

Groupie Love reveals that this was a bittersweet story about her falling in love with a star.

In My Feelings was the track where she finally sees the light and breaks up with him

Coachella was the start of act ii (or you can call it an interlude) where she connects her inner self with the outer world

same with God Bless America and When The World Was At War

Then she starts changing her inner self starting with Beautiful People where she recognises her problems

Tomorrow Never Came is a little cute throwback track with her lover

Heroin and Change are her songs where she realises that she wants to be in a better state of mind

and Get Free is the conclusion and also the start of her journey of "out of the black, into the blue"

I wouldn't call LFL a concept album

giphy.gif

LFL should've been 2 separate EP's obviously. 

First one: the relationship/love stuff. Giving you the storyline too:

1. White mustang           (We met one time and I liked you but I didn't get your number, but I know we're gonna meet again and then you're gonna hit me like lightning)

2. Groupie Love              (Here we are, we meet again and it's at your concert because I'm your hot groupie)

3. Lust for life                  (Getting to the the H of the Hollywood sign---aka backstage of the concert in GL--- and we start to undress and have too much fun :creep: )

4. Summer bummer        (We are already banging in our relationship, I'm your undercover lover babe, let's fuck some more in the summer while hip hop is playing)

5. Cherry                         (Our relationship is so intense now that I fall to pieces when I'm with you...but you're starting to ruin my goddamn peaches)

6. In my feelings             (Now all of the toxic shit piled up and you ruined my rose garden, getting me in my feelings, making me sob in my cup of coffee)

7.Best american record  (Now I'm reflecting on this lost relationship and I realized you did it all for fame, well how's your Karma now, loser?)     

8.13 beaches                  (At this point, I'm ready to move on, searching some beaches to relax, but I'm too goddamn famous to find one right away, so the 13th one will do...however, I'd be lying if I kept hiding the fact that I can't deal with our breakup, 'cus I still love you and it hurts)

*Yosemite and TNC could be some additional tracks, as her reflecting even more about how perfect their relationship could be sometimes, playing music in the barn, doing things for the right reasons...However, I didn't put them there 'cause they don't really fit sonically and don't have good placement with the rest of the story either

Also, RBFY can be the perfect intro to this, as she found love again and she has nothing to hide now...however this love story crumbles to pieces by the end of the EP

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

THERE IS NO STORY SIS. There is no cohesiveness. No matter how many chances I give this album...It's just not an album. It's two albums at best. I actually love most of the songs, but they just don't belong together. If I had no idea who Lana was, if I knew nothing about her or her discography and someone played me this album, I'd think it was a "Best of" :um3:  It just sounds more like a compilation album if anything

Imagine being this dumb 

LFL should've been 2 separate EP's obviously. 

First one: the relationship/love stuff. Giving you the storyline too:

1. White mustang           (We met one time and I liked you but I didn't get your number, but I know we're gonna meet again and then you're gonna hit me like lightning)

2. Groupie Love              (Here we are, we meet again and it's at your concert because I'm your hot groupie)

3. Lust for life                  (Getting to the the H of the Hollywood sign---aka backstage of the concert in GL--- and we start to undress and have too much fun :creep: )

4. Summer bummer        (We are already banging in our relationship, I'm your undercover lover babe, let's fuck some more in the summer while hip hop is playing)

5. Cherry                         (Our relationship is so intense now that I fall to pieces when I'm with you...but you're starting to ruin my goddamn peaches)

6. In my feelings             (Now all of the toxic shit piled up and you ruined my rose garden, getting me in my feelings, making me sob in my cup of coffee)

7.Best american record  (Now I'm reflecting on this lost relationship and I realized you did it all for fame, well how's your Karma now, loser?)     

8.13 beaches                  (At this point, I'm ready to move on, searching some beaches to relax, but I'm too goddamn famous to find one right away, so the 13th one will do...however, I'd be lying if I kept hiding the fact that I can't deal with our breakup, 'cus I still love you and it hurts)

*Yosemite and TNC could be some additional tracks, as her reflecting even more about how perfect their relationship could be sometimes, playing music in the barn, doing things for the right reasons...However, I didn't put them there 'cause they don't really fit sonically and don't have good placement with the rest of the story either

Second one: the ''political'' side of things, trying to get involved into society, to be a good member of society and also to be a better person overall.

1.Coachella-Woodstock in my mind

2.God bless America-and all the beautiful women in it

3.When the world was at war we kept dancing

4.Beautiful people, beautiful problems

5.Heroin

6.Change

7.Love

8.Get free 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Lana makes storytelling albums. True, you can listen to songs separately, but you miss the bigger picture. You have to let yourself be told a story, and you need to listen to the album a couple of times from cover to cover to understand it. She is one of the few that does that.

For all of her albums, there was always a part of them that I was more attracted to at first. But after a few weks of listening, the songs you like the least become the ones that sunk in and that you prefer.

With UV, I loved songs 1 to 6, and the last ones were a bit of the same to me; then I learned to hear the subtilities of them and I love them as much as the first 5.

With HM, the last part of the album was the one i prefered; now, when I think of HM, the songs before the interlude are the ones that come to mind.

With LFL, I was drawn to the first half of it. Then, the latter songs have struck a chord with me and I love them all.

LFL is more diversed, but it tells a story and is not a Spotify playlist as many of you said before. It's not my fave from her, but it is certainly not the mess you all bitch about when you only listened to 5 songs.

I agree with this 100%!

TBH, at first when I first heard LFL I preferred first half of it, cause I really hate political songs. BUT, now when I listen to it, I really CAN listen cover to cover and I don't really think it's that bad.

Some political songs she did on LFL, it doesn't necessarily need to be political for you. Depends how you interpret it in your head, and I love when she does that.

Summer Bummer deserves more, but not Groupie Love (I'm sorry Lana, but I just can't get into it). Y'all really have to stop acting like spoiled kids, i mean, she's doing it for us.

Now, I know that y'all want quality and what not cause we're giving her money for that, but you have to understand that you're partly guilty for not being satisfied with the final product. Y'all put ideas in your heads and behave like she confirmed it and then act like she lied to you all. LMAO, imagine.

Anyway, LFL deserves more and y'all need to accept that.

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro

It's a messy album that was obviously changed and overthrown multiple times. You can like it but stop trying to make it something it's not

It is, but it's not as nearly bad as some ppl are making it to be.

giphy.gifTwitter: johndelferro

Ty and no yeah, I guess for me, listening to record in full was pretty difficult to do at the time, so I just clung to moments that I felt were beautiful and just let it take its course. I'd remember I'd always go to this one spot at night at our cities star center where I can see the city from below, listening to the record. I loved how cold it all felt to me, weather wise too.

I personally loved the entire era as a whole, I mean I hated July 21st fam, but really who didn't, but the Love posters, the music videos we got, it was a pretty fruitful album cycle. I'm not gonna lie, I still don't really think of all that much of IMF, it's pretty limp imo, Coachella has some iffy lyrics, but the overall message and the outro/bridge is beautiful. I actually don't really mind the collabs all too much, it's all still pretty listen-able. I love TNC, but I guess since the song kinda just reminds me of a dreamy trolling song about not getting anything done, I tend to skip it. Those are my complaints.

Her voice is still so beautiful ofc in all of them tho, and I can appreciate the sentimentality, and how delicate the record is, especially when the listener's just in a tender and fragile headspace and place in their lives. It's been comforting

and I agree, the lack of cohesiveness, actually packages how diverse she can be in sound, while still sounding pretty uniform to the album exclusively. I guess if you don't really dissect it as much, what comes back to the surface is that what she put out is a kind of gateway record, her coming from her own headspace to the rest of the world, and the quality's still there, so it's a win win.

I love her voice on IMF. I also love that’s the only song in her repertoire, in my knowledge, where she is pissed. And I love it.

I agree with this 100%!

TBH, at first when I first heard LFL I preferred first half of it, cause I really hate political songs. BUT, now when I listen to it, I really CAN listen cover to cover and I don't really think it's that bad.

Some political songs she did on LFL, it doesn't necessarily need to be political for you. Depends how you interpret it in your head, and I love when she does that.

Summer Bummer deserves more, but not Groupie Love (I'm sorry Lana, but I just can't get into it). Y'all really have to stop acting like spoiled kids, i mean, she's doing it for us.

Now, I know that y'all want quality and what not cause we're giving her money for that, but you have to understand that you're partly guilty for not being satisfied with the final product. Y'all put ideas in your heads and behave like she confirmed it and then act like she lied to you all. LMAO, imagine.

Anyway, LFL deserves more and y'all need to accept that.

Love your point of view! And I totally agree with you: the polical songs on LFL are not THAT political. Maybe more peace-oriented, which is fine by me. And when it comes to « quality », I believe it’s there on that album. And if someone doesn’t like it, go back to listen to radio for a while: you will find LFL to be a masterpiece in comparison to the crap playing right now. When the instrumentals leaked, I was pleasantly surprised by the nuances and layers in so many songs.

Just noticed that lol That's still one track, a highly praised one too. I still think it would've been nicer if he had more influence on the album.

I love all the songs they did together. But I think he is very busy (he scores soundtracks with big shots). I think if she can bring him for one song on each record, we’d be lucky.