Elle

Lust For Life - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Lust for Life  

255 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Lust for Life?

• Love
    • Lust for Life
    • 13 Beaches
    • Cherry
    • White Mustang
    • Summer Bummer
    • Groupie Love
    • In My Feelings
    • Coachella - Woodstock in my Mind
    • God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It
    • When The World Was at War We Kept Dancing
    • Beautiful People Beautiful Problems
    • Tomorrow Never Came
    • Heroin
    • Change
    • Get Free

Yup! those are them! I think that ties into everything 

Found this on reddit:

According to some fans, Heroin is likely about her friend (or ex?) Rob Dubuss who supposedly died of a heroin overdose on New Year’s. The evidence for this is her tweet on 1/1/12 that reads, “RIP. Rob Dubuss. We’ll miss u.”

If Heroin is about him, this might make sense given the lyrics “Bad beginning to my new year” and “Dreaming about heroin//And how it gave you everything//And took your life away.” Lana claimed that this was her most personal song on Lust for Life.

Dark Paradise was released in March of 2012 (two months after Rob’s death). Earlier demos of the song have quite different lyrics than the studio version, and I wonder if it was reworked in light of his passing. This might make sense given lyrics such as “I wish I was dead (dead like you)” and “I’m scared that you won’t be waiting on the other side.”

giphy.gifB8iC.gifgiphy.gif

If I'm not mistaken, there was a tweet she tweeted in early January of 2011/2012 talking about a friend who had just died, which works with "bad beginning to my new year" I just don't know how to find it

It’s all in Shiny Toy Guns thread

according to Lana del Rey Info on Twitter: ‘Lust for Life’ by Lana Del Rey has reached over 700M streams on Spotify, making it her 2nd album to reach this milestone and her 2nd most streamed album on the platform.
Not bad for an album that almost everyone here calls trash and a mess :hooker:

according to Lana del Rey Info on Twitter: ‘Lust for Life’ by Lana Del Rey has reached over 700M streams on Spotify, making it her 2nd album to reach this milestone and her 2nd most streamed album on the platform.

Treachery, what about Ultraviolence and Honeymoon? :(

Yup! those are them! I think that ties into everything 

Found this on reddit:

According to some fans, Heroin is likely about her friend (or ex?) Rob Dubuss who supposedly died of a heroin overdose on New Year’s. The evidence for this is her tweet on 1/1/12 that reads, “RIP. Rob Dubuss. We’ll miss u.”

If Heroin is about him, this might make sense given the lyrics “Bad beginning to my new year” and “Dreaming about heroin//And how it gave you everything//And took your life away.” Lana claimed that this was her most personal song on Lust for Life.

Dark Paradise was released in March of 2012 (two months after Rob’s death). Earlier demos of the song have quite different lyrics than the studio version, and I wonder if it was reworked in light of his passing. This might make sense given lyrics such as “I wish I was dead (dead like you)” and “I’m scared that you won’t be waiting on the other side.”

I've wondered as well if parts of Heroin are about her Malibu house and people turning up there and stuff.

Part of the lyrics say "its hot even for February" making it seem like the song or that part was recorded in February, possibly February 2016 shortly after people had been breaking into her Malibu house in November/December 2015, one guy was actually living in the house and in January 2016 was at court for it.

As some of the lyrics fit in to that "jumping off from my walls into the docks" as the house is on the beach where someone could actually do that to get out her house and it may be what that guy who was living in it did as he did escape and was caught later. "Writing in blood on my walls"(people breaking in to her house like Manson?), talk of Manson, she mentions Topanga in the song though rather than Malibu but it's right next to it and Topanga fits in with Manson as he lived there. "all my friends have gone cause they still feel him here" (possibly her family or people she lived with didnt want to stay there anymore?) She also says in it "I want to move i'll probably stay another year" and she did sell the house in September 2017 I think it was. The just the "something bout the weather made these kids go crazy" (stalker fans turning up to her house, stealing her cars, sleeping outside, breaking in all in a short period of time).

Im pretty sure also she mentioned that she had a song Malibu that was very personal to her or something, makes me think parts of it could have been merged into Heroin.

"Bad beginning to my new year" could also fit in with January 2016. On the 7th of January was the court case where 2 Russian girls got restraining orders after sleeping outside her house and threatening her to let them in or they'd kill themselves and on the 11th of January was the court case of the guy who had broke in and was living in the house, he was given 84 days in jail.

Treachery, what about Ultraviolence and Honeymoon? :(

I think Lanaboards and the rest of the fandom have very different tastes. UV and HM seem to be the two favorites here, but outside LB, they're not. Whether we agree or not, people must have loved the diverse sound of LFL. 

cherry kinda won, huh?  :hooker:

tumblr_n7a4cdzBFk1r65oxko1_500.gif

giphy.gifB8iC.gifgiphy.gif

y'all sayin this are gonna be the same people complaining that successful music is trash and most #1s are talentless, that good music isn't the stuff that sells :facepalm:

y'all sayin this are gonna be the same people complaining that successful music is trash and most #1s are talentless, that good music isn't the stuff that sells :facepalm:

I love LFL. Is is as beautiful as HM or UV? No. But it is solid. The album is best in the summer and I love its story. The fact that it’s her second most streamed album makes it evident that LB and the rest of the fan base have different tastes. Besides, many here have listened to it once and started doing their own edit of it, without giving it a chance to let it sink in.

8BD3pel.png

U saying BTD is McDonald’s then? Cause the album sure as hell sold well.

BTD sold well because it's actually great and because it paved the way for all the other alt-pop girls that came after Lana. LFL sold well because it caters to casual listeners more than her previous albums and because of the 23742834 collabs with big names such as The Weeknd, Stevie Nicks, and ASAP Rocky.

73-wigglytuffhiya.gif

Everyone has the right to their own opinion about LFL. I get that. But to call it trash and messy has always been an overeaction to me. Especially with people who listened to it two times (all of her albums are growers, some just need more patience than others). 
LFL did very well outside LB, and I find sometimes presumptuous to assume that we represent all of the fanbase. 

There are so many demos, outtakes and alternate mixes from this record that will probably never see the light of day :defeated:

Early demos of LFL, BPBP (solo version with LFL lyrics), that alternate mix of Groupie Love, Malibu, etc. :trisha:

This is the album I’d pay solid money for if she came out with an anniversary edition that featured a bunch of b-sides