Black Mirror

I just finished Crocodile and Hang The Dj.

My thoughts:

*SPOILERS FOR BOTH EPISODES*

Crocodile:

I'm screaming. Katy Perry looking ass Mia going for a spree kill and even killing a baby that was blind all just for that guinea pig. It was dark for sure but the guinea pig... i mean come on

Hang The Dj:

this episode got me FUCKED UP  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  THE TWIST :defeated: THE LOVE :defeated: THE TINDER PROMO :defeated:  i just cant it was too much love

???, ?????????

Bandersnatch was so good. I love how it was done. Also, I'm still not over the thing that happens when you choose "fuck yeah", I'm not gonna spoil but like it was a lot.

Funny thing is that the same thing happens if you choose yes. I went back cause I was hoping for something more but it was the same scene.

I felt like the concept was interesting, but could been made better. Games like Heavy Rain have utilised the 'interactive movie' premise much better.

What saved the Black Mirror episode for me was the ending in which Bandersnatch gets 5/5 despite having only illusion of choice for the player. That was really meta

I really loved the Colin character, he was so fascinating and charismatic. Too bad I will never see more of him. 

i am nothing and should be everything

I'm gonna quote my log of Bandersnatch from Letterboxd.

About thirty or so minutes in, I thought I was being pleasantly surprised. That this wasn't just a gimmick. That this had really interesting things to say, and was using this device as a way to explore them with density and interactivity. After the LSD sequence, though, it becomes utter trash.

You cannot bring up the "parallel universe" aspects of it all and not explore them. Here, it's just a crutch and excuse for the story to go any and which way it wants toward endings that aren't reasonably of thematic resonance to those first thirty minutes.

A lot of the endings are just short-lived and silly, or irritatingly derivative (the biggest offender being a rip off the ending of Donnie Darko... only without any credence to its happening.)

As an interactive game, sure it's fun. And while it almost had me in its grip, it sacrifices all of its interesting ideas for the very gimmick it was promising to subvert.

Frustratingly disappointing, and irritatingly empty.

I feel the need to preface that I generally like or love most of the Black Mirror episodes, and I particularly find San Junipero one of the best pieces of art of the decade. 

I'm gonna quote my log of Bandersnatch from Letterboxd.

I feel the need to preface that I generally like or love most of the Black Mirror episodes, and I particularly find San Junipero one of the best pieces of art of the decade. 

Which ending do you feel is similar to Donnie Darko?

You mean the death with Mom on the train one?

Now that you mention it, I see a resemblance, but it's not that comparable, in my opinion.

I agree that the episode was weak, though.

i am nothing and should be everything

On Bandersnatch:

I'm bitter because they let me go back to some things on and on but they never let me

go back and take these stupid pills. I want to see what happens then, I know it alters everything drastically. And now I have to go through all this again. I've managed to get several endings and see the outcomes but I've never taken the damn freaking pills because they won't fucking let me.

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Brief summary of the ending that feels most canon to me that I got on my second playthrough:

If you chop Stefan dad's body you finally earn 5/5 rating on the game, nobody discovers the body but after it's first sales boom they do, so the game gets removed from the shelves. Then in the present day a Netlix creator finds it in her grandfather's collection and decides to adapt it to Netflix, so the story ends up on loop. To me it feels the most organic imho with all the other Netflix hints.

Overall an amazing project. It must've been a fucking nightmare to write

I had a lot of fun watching Bandersnatch but the ending I got was really unsatisfying.

mine was the one where he kills his father, calls the therapist and confesses and is put in jail, the game gets 2.5 stars. he also opens his father's files to find out his whole life has been an experiment?? and then that was never mentioned again.

For basically being the first ever movie to attempt this it was really cool, but i don't feel like all the directions it went in made for a satisfying story. Im confused by what they were trying to say with this movie. 

I had a lot of fun watching Bandersnatch but the ending I got was really unsatisfying.

mine was the one where he kills his father, calls the therapist and confesses and is put in jail, the game gets 2.5 stars. he also opens his father's files to find out his whole life has been an experiment?? and then that was never mentioned again.

For basically being the first ever movie to attempt this it was really cool, but i don't feel like all the directions it went in made for a satisfying story. Im confused by what they were trying to say with this movie. 

I got the same ending and decided to just go to credits

I found it so repetitive in the end i was just dying for it to end

I hope they do more of those stories but i just wasnt into this one at all.

This is a show I really need to watch. I've only seen one episode about social media rates and how the lady was trying to get to her friends wedding. 

Going to watch Bandersnatch sometime soon as it sounds interesting.

♡ I had a dream that I was fine, I wasn't crazy, I was divine ♡                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Kitschesque being Graham for 4 minutes:

After some thinking about this I've come to a conclusion they couldn't fit all these concepts and develop them to an extreme degree bc it'd be impossible to do AND see. And they wanted you to see everything, not the one ending you chose at first.

There are so many solutions to this problem and ALL OF THEM are valid and Stefan's monologue at one point agrees with that. (SPOILER: The Netflix meta sequence let's you have a silly action scene which makes you think the story is what you want it to be).

The concept you like is less developed than you'd like because all of the endings and paths are right.

Bandersnatch is designed to allow briefly 5-6 soft endings in which you can go back and try something different and then after it passes 90 minutes it's ending.

You're allowed to try all of them and they knew you'd try and go back, that's literally why the last option you'd choose (SPOILER: chopping dad's body) is the most interesting and affirmative of the concept that Stefan has been using you all along to blame you for his terrible morale. It's the last option you'd choose and they knew it, making you try all the different paths and then making the last one the most glorious.

This episode has it's flaws, but the writing and planning and coding are all brilliant.

I liked Bandersnatch a lot, it's a great concept, but I wish they explored alternate realities more. I see a lot of potential in what future 'chose your own adventure' shows could be. What if a simple choice, such as choosing a different cereal, had set you into a different reality involving a completely different story? Oh and the ending where he's filming a show - I wish that ending was longer or lead to more choices based in that reality. Maybe explore why he was so caught up in the character? How would that have changed his daily life? How would that change the rest of the story? It had the chance to really dig into alternate realities and it didn't. I hope they do another episode in the future, or another studio does some extreme world building with this. After you play it a few times, what's the point of going back, you know? What if every time you played you were guaranteed to never repeat the same story (or had a very low chance of repeating things) What if there was a show you could  chose the outcome for more frequently? Like the choices you make in episode 1 determine where your character is by episode 3? I know that's a lot to ask for, and involves yeaaars of filming, writing, etc. but like I said, I just see a lot of potential in this realm of story telling.I think Bandersnatch was a great start to this. 

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg