Radiohead Sues Lana for Copyright Infringement on "Get Free"

Radiohead are suing Lana Del Rey over similarities between her Lust for Life song “Get Free” and their 1992 hit “Creep.” After reports of the suit emerged earlier today, Lana confirmed the news on Twitter. “It’s true about the lawsuit,” she wrote. “Although I know my song wasn’t inspired by Creep, Radiohead feel it was and want 100% of the publishing - I offered up to 40 over the last few months but they will only accept 100.” See the tweet below. The credits for “Get Free” currently list Lana Del Rey, Rick Nowels, and Kieron Menzies as co-writers. Pitchfork has reached out to representatives for Lana, Nowels, and Menzies for further comment. Representatives for Radiohead offered no comment to Pitchfork.

Following the release of “Creep,” Radiohead were allegedly sued over the single’s similarities to the Hollies’ 1974 song “The Air That I Breathe,” written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood. After an out-of-court settlement, Hammond and Hazlewood were listed as co-writers of “Creep.”

https://pitchfork.com/news/radiohead-sue-lana-del-rey-for-allegedly-copying-creep/

https://twitter.com/LanaDelRey/status/950065789549166592?

https://www.alternativenation.net/radiohead-call-lana-del-rey-lying-plagiarism-lawsuit/

As Radiohead’s music publisher, it’s true that we’ve been in discussions since August of last year with Lana Del Rey’s representatives. It’s clear that the verses of “Get Free” use musical elements found in the verses of “Creep” and we’ve requested that this be acknowledged in favour of all writers of “Creep.” To set the record straight, no lawsuit has been issued and Radiohead have not said they “will only accept 100%” of the publishing of “Get Free.”

Yes, no video and no performances I think. Her lawyers are probably advising her to steer clear of this track for a while

didnt she say either get free or cherry music video? LOL we were probably supposed to get get free. but that's old tea :hooker:  :teehee:

Where are the youtube videos that compare both songs? I can't find any? I don't think they sound similar enough to go to court. They want 100% of the publishing? Let's mash up Get Free and Creep and call it Greed!

How ironic... Radiohead have to pay royalties to the Hollies. Nice circle of copycats!

Lmao they were so ridiculous and petty for only accepting 100% Lana offered them 40% which is more than enough for a little similar pre-chorus but wow....They truly are fucking desperate  :smokes:

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Ewwww shame on Radiohead acting like a bunch of pricks!!! It's tragic that such an iconic band would stoop to such a low level. I'm absolutely disgusted!! They could have compromised with 40% which Lana so benevolently offered to them. They will lose the case for sure. They don't deserve even 1%. Bloody Greedy Motherfuckers

Ewwww shame on Radiohead acting like a bunch of pricks!!! It's tragic that such an iconic band would stoop to such a low level. I'm absolutely disgusted!! They could have compromised with 40% which Lana so benevolently offered to them. They will lose the case for sure. They don't deserve even 1%. Bloody Greedy Motherfuckers

i know, they only want money.

giphy.gif

They want 100% of the rights of 'Get Free' but like....

Creep was sued by The Hollies and The Hollies won.

So, by the laws of logic, Radiohead should just shut the FUCK DOWN bc Creep isn't even 100% original

ezgif-com-crop-1.gif

I thought they'd just settle on getting credit >< poor Lana having to endure a court... I bet this will fuck up the tour too...

(we can't bash Creep though, that song is fucking iconic, and that's the only time that word has been used on this site appropriately)

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

They want 100% of the rights of 'Get Free' but like....

Creep was sued by The Hollies and The Hollies won.

So, by the laws of logic, Radiohead should just shut the FUCK DOWN bc Creep isn't even 100% original

sis do you really think they're doing this because its logical they want the $$$$

I hate to say it but the chord structure and progression of the song is very similar and miss Rey does have a bad habit of singing over other songs to create her melodies 

A truth we have to accept :/

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png