Radiohead Sues Lana for Copyright Infringement on "Get Free"

"So... where's Wham!'s lawsuit?"  :toofunny:

7:43-8:22

NOO DELETE IT

how the fuck do i unhear that now, i'm crying get free is literally my favourite lfl track and even shares my personal #1 spot with a few other lana songs but this lawsuit is ruining the song for me  :prettyhurts:  :cryney: all i hear is creep and last christmas now oh god 

So are they suing or not? I can't believe no side is making a public announcement. Because of the Pitchfork report, people are treating Lana and the fans as liars and attacking us. I don't even know why this became a hype lol

Well... at least it sounds like they aren't planning on joining in the festivities of suing Lana as well

OqqaAZJt.png     B4iWPK3.gif     OqqaAZJt.png

They are right; it would be better decided out of court; not only for their sake, but for the sake of working musicians in general to not expand copyright restrictions in published music.

"Credit where credit is due" to me implies some kind of plagiarism. Should Radiohead/The Hollies receive credit for something that Lana + co created without their involvement? The law may not care about intent, but this phrase kinda rubs me the wrong way. Maybe I'm overreacting. Is our society one where a musical idea or two's entire merit can be boiled down to "who put it to paper first"? I understand receiving financial compensation for an idea, but in general that seems kinda silly to me.

If you can't tell, I'm firmly on the side of Lana did not intentionally use the melody/chord progression from Creep. For the verses in the last track on an album? Not even the chorus, bridge, instrumental, etc? Just one vocal melody? (and while its quite similar, its not exactly the same, which I think is still really important) That just seems like such a stupid idea. I hope no one on either team honestly believes it was intentional. 

I just hope it gets worked out. Get Free is an incredibly beautiful and moving song in Lana's discography and its definitely not because of any kind of similarity to one of the most overrated alt-rock songs in history  :deadbanana:

*edit*

Vulture had a musicologist come up with a sort of lead sheet version of both (in the same key) :

https://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2018/01/11/11-sheet-music.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

They also came up with the point that along with chord progression, rhythm is a musical element that can't be a part of the claim, so it really does default to the melody. (As their rhythms are quite different in duration and a lot more - some of it because of lyrics) 

But the melody isn't actually the same, its similar. Rhythm aside, there are distinctly different intervals, and seeing as how neither of these songs are classical compositions, I think musicologists arguing that Lana's verses melody being an ornamented or slightly varied version of Creep's verses holds little merit... Unless of course you presuppose that Creep did in fact inspire Get Free's verses. Based on how you interpret this, The verses are an ornamented form of Creep because its inspired, or the rhythm and melodic intervals are actually different because this song wasn't composed with Creep in mind at all. It's a subtle, nuanced mess, like much of music and all the more reason a jury and even judge should not be deciding this kind of thing in court.

A judge might deem it inadmissible, but if I were Radiohead's lawyers I would try to introduce evidence of examples of Lana borrowing from other songs. Obviously melodic examples like the Nino Rota thing and "Careless Whisper" (I think there are other examples I'm probably forgetting?) but also lyrics in order to try to demonstrate a pattern of behavior.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

A judge might deem it inadmissible, but if I were Radiohead's lawyers I would try to introduce evidence of examples of Lana borrowing from other songs. Obviously melodic examples like the Nino Rota thing and "Careless Whisper" (I think there are other examples I'm probably forgetting?) but also lyrics in order to try to demonstrate a pattern of behavior.

She credited Nino Rota

I'm afraid there's another fact that counts against Lana: she blatantly references Crowley, who was a creep.

The whole song is about a creep getting free.

:runs:

Watching all our friends fall in and out of Old Paul's, this is my idea of fun

The bottom line is that it going to court is to the detriment of musicians and music copyright in general. All of the intent and effect out the window, if its tried in America (and it would be) a Jury would decide this by a matter of hearing them and thinking they sound similar and not knowing enough about music, will decide its copyright infringement. 

I hope Lanas team and Radiohead's team do the right thing and decide it out of court.

She credited Nino Rota

Yeah, her team caught that one, but it's another example where she subconsciously plagiarized something and didn't realize it until afterwards when someone pointed it out to her. She seems particularly prone to this.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

"Remember when her album sales and critical scores decreased with every release so she made up a story about Radiohead suing her and fed it to her echo chamber social media fans for free publicity?"

:rip:

Omg who said that? Haha

Anyways I really don't know why Lana isn't talking publicly about this anymore. Is she sued or not? Seems like she isn't but she needs to say something before getting bigger backlash for it. It's always exciting to stan ha!

I'm afraid there's another fact that counts against Lana: she blatantly references Crowley, who was a creep.

The whole song is about a creep getting free.

What makes you think that the whole song is about him?

If you care about animals, please watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5hGQDLprA8