Elle

Interview with World Cafe

I’m currently at work and can’t listen, someone please transcribe/share any interesting information! Thanks in advance.

Look buddy, you want me on the cover or not?

New favourite Lana sass

haha so much awkward sighing at the end. I can't remember if it was ever confirmed she said 'Harvey's in the sky' rather than 'ah he's in the sky' but I guess that's a confirm since she didn't deny it

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

Hearing her speak on her past stalker experiences and saying how it took her a long time to be able to laugh about it and then just a couple weeks later she had to deal with one of the worst stalkers in her life thus far....poor Lana :trisha:

It's too much to write and it's nothing new so I give up now after ~7 mins of the interview. Took me 40+ minutes. :toofunny: :rip:

Reporter: Hey, you're listening to the World Café, I'm Talia Shlanger. Today: Lana Del Rey!

LFL is the title track of Lana's latest album, it features the artist The Weeknd. Lana also collaborated with Stevie Nicks who proposed they'd move into one of Hollywood's most famous' spots.

Lana: She always jokes about, how when I'd get older, I would live in the H and she would live in the W of the Hollywood sign. I was like "really?" *giggles* Let's do it!

R: We also talked about how Lana looks back on older lyrics, inlcuding the line "He hit me, and it felt like a kiss" from 2014's Ultraviolence.

Lana: I think I was just so used to chronicing(?) everything down diary-style. I mean, that's why I've been polarizing because people don't wanna look at the broader picture sometimes. And now I'm like "what the hell am I doing?" It's not like I have to tell every particular detail.

R: Lana Del Rey. She's got a special place in my own memory. A few years ago, I took my sister to see her Endless Summer Tour - I get the sense that a lot of people take their sisters to see Lana's concerts. And recently, when I texted my sister saying I was gonna interviewing for World Café, she wrote back and said "Wait, what? I thought she was a hologram". I think a lot of people think Lana is a hologram. Maybe it's because there's an etherial quality to the way Lana performs and a sort of vintage glam about her look that make it feel like she might be more of a beautiful apparechent(?) than a real person. But she is a very real person, our chat in a moment... but first, let's listen a little bit of the song "Love" form Lana's latest record, Lust For Life.

*Love chorus*

R: That's "Love" by LDR off for her latest album called LFL. Lana, welcome back to the World Café, we're really happy to have you here..!

Lana: Thank you so much! Happy to be here.

R: So when you announced the new record, you released this video trailer that is beautiful and very clever, and I wanna play a little piece of it for people to hear. But first, can you describe what we saw in this video, where you are?

Lana: OK, I have been thinking about this idea of broadcasting from the middle of the H in the Hollywood sign, in California, so I asked my director Clark to help me set up this whole space to.. look like the H. And, um... yeah, in it, I was sort of looking out at all of the mayhem in the city below and beyond, but I also wanted to have, sort of like a B-movie twist on it with the narrative and the musical background, so...

R: Yeah, let's hear a piece of what you say, this is a piece of the clip...

*When in the middle of making a record...[...] ... something with a little spice..?*

R: That's a clip of the trailer LDR released before releasing her latest album called LFL. So, you sing about the H of the Hollywood sign on the title track of LFL with The Weeknd.

Lana: Yess..!

R: Great collaboration..!

Lana: Thank you! I did not think I was gonna him up there to dance with me on the H.

R: Really? How did you convince him?

Lana: He was actually a good sport, he was like "if you're doing it, I'll be there".

R: Did you guys actually go?

Lana: We did our own H. Yeah, it was-, it was ma-, it was like really big. *laughs* I don't know. I just thought he was gonna be too cool to do it, but he was awesome. And then, the only thing he didn't wanna do was to slide down the sign, so I was like "no problem, I'm just gonna meet you down there in the flowers".

R: Ah, nice. What did you have in mind when you were writing the song?

Lana: Well, LFL was actually the first track I wrote for the record and I wrote it the day after I finished my record before that. But what I ended up wanting for was a little bit of a girl group feel, a little bit of Shangri La feel, with that spoken word for the verse. But so... Yeah, with Love and LFL, I kind of started to change the aesthetic of the record into something that was a little bit, I would say just a little bit brighter. Not more pop necesarily, but a little bit, like, rosier in its hue.

R: Yeah, you can feel it. I also like the girl group reference. And I was thinking about, when I was thinking about the record as a whole, I was sort of thinking about The Shirelle's "Will you love me tomorrow".

Lana: Really? :flutter:
R: Yeah, because it sort of... it makes sense as a reference because it's... people are working out thoughts that are confusing, but in this really mature way...

Lana: Oh, I love that.

R: ... and you can read like "that was what was happening at the time", like ideas were expressed in music that people couldn't talk about necesarily with their classmates or their parents, but would hear on the radio and identify with. And I think that is something you touch on with your fanbase so much.

Lana: Hmm, that's a really good point, that is so true about, like, the dawn of rock and why it was so appealing.

R: Yeah. Let's listen to a little bit of LFL, the title track.

*... take off all of your clothes//They say only the good die young...*

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png