Sign in to follow this  
BluVelvUnderground

2018 Oscar Nominations - Predictions/Snubs, etc.

I have not seen almost any of the movies being nominated for best picture/director/actor/actress except for The Shape of Water, so I'm obviously biased, but Sally Hawkins gave such an outstanding performance in that film. To be fair, the whole cast did, but nothing she did felt like "acting." There wasn't a single false note. Unfortunately, it seems those type of performances are usually overlooked in terms of winning awards because those types of effortless-looking performances are usually not as favored as the more bolder/in-your-face ones. 

I'm guessing:

Three Billboards for Best Picture

The Shape of Water for Best Director 

Margot Robbie for Best Actress

Gary Oldman for Best Actor 

Probably Christopher Plummer for Best Supporting Actor 

Allison Janney for Best Supporting Actress

Remember Me for Best Original Song

Coco for Best Animated Feature

Get Out for Best Screenplay

(Probably) Call Me By Your Name for Best Adapted Screenplay

jennifer lawrance should have nominated for best actress with mother!

She actually got nominated for the Razzie, which is a disgrace, because no matter what you think of the film itself, that was a tour-de-force for her. And I agree, she should be a lock for a nomination this year. Stunning that she gets so many nominations, and misses for her best work yet. 

A Razzie? Are you serious? lmao The fact that so many people are trashing that movie makes me sad. I know it's not for everyone, but it really doesn't deserve all this backlash. But I think the director Aronofsky says he encourages debate and discussion and doesn't mind the hate so oh well i guess lmao. But J Law did an amazing job.

I've talked about the film over here before but here I go again... it's pretty much needless to say that the Academy snubbing mother! completely didn't surprise anyone, yet it's still a disappointment that it didn't get nominated for J-Law's performance, the sound design or the overall cinematography. I've been so obsessed with the film for the last months that I'm like reading tweets about it on a daily basis and all, and even though the opinions change from extremity to another tweet by tweet I've been so happy to see people defending her performance above all even if they didn't like the film. I've never been that much of a fan of hers but her performance in the film is absolutely incredible. I'm still thinking about the film and all the possible interpretations, Bible references etc. very much and I can say that no other film has ever left me thinking about it this way before, and I've seen a lot of them. The blu-ray's finally coming out here tomorrow so I can't wait to get my hands on it and show it to my friends. I'll most likely also buy the making of book that's coming next month.

--

I watched the nominations announcement live and sat through it like "ok next... next... next!" tbh. The Academy Awards are one of my biggest highlights every year, because of the time zone differences I didn't start watching them live until like 3 years ago but I've been watching them as long as I can remember and will definitely be watching them live this year as well, I can't wait. However this year there's a lot of films that I simply don't quite care for or haven't even seen yet (for example The Shape of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, I, Tonya and Lady Bird haven't yet hit the big screen in Finland), I'm rooting for Blade Runner 2049 the most and Dunkirk alternatively. I didn't see Call Me by Your Name until yesterday along with Molly's Game and I quite liked both.

After months and months of hype Get Out was a huge let down for me and the biggest one of the year, I get the message the film's trying to deliver but I dislike the film itself so much. I thought it was very boring and the performances were crap except for Daniel Kaluuya so I'm good if he somehow manages to grab the best actor from Gary Oldman - I'm not hoping for that though, Oldman deserves the recognition. Octavia Spencer is precious so I hope they'll give her another award for best supporting actress - which isn't happening because of Allison Janney, she's alright tho - and as for the best actress I'd let my girl Margot Robbie have it even though I haven't seen her film yet. Queen Streep and Frances McDormand both have Academy awards already so they should let MR have it  :hooker:

I've talked about the film over here before but here I go again... it's pretty much needless to say that the Academy snubbing mother! completely didn't surprise anyone, yet it's still a disappointment that it didn't get nominated for J-Law's performance, the sound design or the overall cinematography. I've been so obsessed with the film for the last months that I'm like reading tweets about it on a daily basis and all, and even though the opinions change from extremity to another tweet by tweet I've been so happy to see people defending her performance above all even if they didn't like the film. I've never been that much of a fan of hers but her performance in the film is absolutely incredible. I'm still thinking about the film and all the possible interpretations, Bible references etc. very much and I can say that no other film has ever left me thinking about it this way before, and I've seen a lot of them. The blu-ray's finally coming out here tomorrow so I can't wait to get my hands on it and show it to my friends. I'll most likely also buy the making of book that's coming next month.

mother is literally robbed. i watched it without expecting anything and i wasn't prejudiced against it and after i watched i was like why is everyone hating it so much?? 

i love the hunger games so much both books and movies, but in movies i just couldn't like jlaw's performance like i did in mother. she was phenemonal in mother, i can't believe oscar's are trash

thank god i didn't saw any comment as "wonder woman got snnubed" LMAO

i hope get out takes it all

Get Out was kinda hyped up. It was a cool movie & it definitely deserved nominations, but I don't think it should win. It was good, but was it the best I've ever seen? No

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

Get Out was kinda hyped up. It was a cool movie & it definitely deserved nominations, but I don't think it should win. It was good, but was it the best I've ever seen? No

It's better than most of movies that are nominated there, because, honestly, 2017 was a bad year for the cinema (my opinion). I think we had better movies in 2016, at least in the award season, La La Land, Moonlight, Lion and Hidden Figures are fucking great, all of them. So, since we didn't had any big hit in 2017, I think we should have some representation in the main categories. And I'm rooting [too] for Phantom Thread; I, Tonya and that one Three Billboards shit.

•  If Timooot Chamamale wins over DENZEL WASHINGTON, GARY OLDMAN AND DANIEL DAY LEWIS,....... won't even continue............ I want people who deserve the award, not another skinny white boy that the whole tumblr/twitter "film" community falls in love to, the people who sees neon lights in a movie and they all are like "photography omg"  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:  :toofunny:
  • Even tho I don't like the "CMBYN" cast, I would like another year of gay winning the main category  :flutter:  :flutter:  :flutter:  
  • My birthday is in March 4 so the Academy better respect me, since the ceremony is in that night  :crossed:
  • In the Academy Season, I don't give a shit for stanning. If I was a Timothee or, i dunno, Saoirse Ronan fan, I would still root for others because this is about deserving.
  • I'm a neutral person I should be a fucking member of the academy but i'm too poor and dumb and I don't know anyone 
  • sad dog

i won a underrated member lipster award im dog im nice don't come for me or i will eat u

Who's watching tonight?! I'm just praying Three Billboards doesn't win Best Picture lol, that movie was a huge mess the award worthy thing about it was Frances McDormand's performance.

My fav sorry. With Call Me By Your Name ofc.

giphy.gif

Who's watching tonight?! I'm just praying Three Billboards doesn't win Best Picture lol, that movie was a huge mess the award worthy thing about it was Frances McDormand's performance.

yesss omg. i know my fav cmbyn only has a chance in adapted screenplay even though critics collectively agree timmy should win best actor but the academy is gonna prefer oldman 100%. i don't even think the academy listened to sujfan's song since we all know that the grammys and oscar academies don't care about knowing all the nominees anyway.

even though lady bird, phantom thread and cmbyn all have higher metacritic scores and are more beloved by critics, i wouldn't mind the shape of water winning since we all know it's probably gonna be get out, shape of water or 3 billboards, and it's the best choice out of these three.

best screenplay is probably gonna go to get out, 3b or shape of water as well even though lady bird is the clear favourite amongst critics.

i76mrxw.png 

Anonymous Oscar voters recently shared their opinions with Vulture and The Hollywood Reporter, shedding light on what could be a preview to a possible upset at the Oscars. 

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, one voter shared that they eliminated the comedy-horror film because she felt it "played the race card."

"It’s a good B-movie and I enjoyed it," she said, "but what bothered me afterwards was that instead of focusing on the fact that this was an entertaining little horror movie that made quite a bit of money, they started trying to suggest it had deeper meaning than it does, and, as far as I’m concerned, they played the race card, and that really turned me off. In fact, at one of the luncheons, the lead actor [Daniel Kaluuya], who is not from the United States [he’s British], was giving us a lecture on racism in America and how black lives matter, and I thought, 'What does this have to do with Get Out? They’re trying to make me think that if I don’t vote for this movie, I’m a racist.' I was really offended. That sealed it for me."

Another Oscar voter told Vulture that a recent discussion with an older voter revealed that some had already dismissed the film without even seeing it. 

The voter dished, "I had multiple conversations with longtime Academy members who were like, 'That was not an Oscar film.' And I’m like, 'That’s bullshit. Watch it.' Honestly, a few of them had not even seen it and they were saying it."

Still, the film may have a shot at winning in its major categories after the Academy's massive push to add new voters. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences gained more than 600 voting members over the last year in a huge effort to add more diversity to the organization. 

(source)

asJ1YEV.gif

UbsOye5.png