Kungfu Kenny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 93d 20h 58m 29s

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:13 AM

Bankrupt Toys "R" Us is closing all of its US stores.

The toy retailer struggled for years to compete with Walmart (WMT) and Amazon (AMZN), amassing mountains of debt while suffering from poor sales. In September, it finally filed for bankruptcy.

It's the latest in a long line of once-beloved retailers and brands that have withered away after their moments in the sun.

They moved from Chapter 11 to 7, meaning its over. Liquidation sales will begin soon for all US stores.

Ironically the Toy Industry grew 3% in 2017.

They're notorious for overpricing their products, my parents never bought me toys from there because of that. Also a lot of people have commented that their online website never works. So I'm not shocked at all

UPDATES:

Website has officially closed, a pop-up note reads that all store are closing and everything will be sold and thanking people for their business.

• Downtown Baby Doll and #JusticeForYosemite like this

tumblr_nvz00jSRDO1uf4zrjo1_500.gif

#2 OFFLINE   #JusticeForYosemite

#JusticeForYosemite

LEAK THE TNC DEMO

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 429 posts
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 13d 2h 33m 49s

Posted 16 March 2018 - 02:32 AM

im shook i never really went there but i thought it was a HUGE thing

• DAMN likes this

giphy.gif

#3 OFFLINE   Downtown Baby Doll

Downtown Baby Doll

don't worry, baby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 582 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 12d 16h 29m 29s

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:11 AM

I remember those special days when my parents would take my brother and I to Toys R Us and leaving with a new Barbie doll or Game Boy game or something. Those days really stick out in my mind, so on one hand, it's kind of sad that a lot of kids growing up now might not know that experience. On the other hand, with online sales and things like Amazon being so much more popular (and cheaper) nowadays, it's no surprise Toys R Us is closing. I see a lot of stores having similar fates in the future.

I've heard that the liquidation sales aren't even that great (yet). My local store has most things for only 10% off or so. It will probably take a few weeks for things to get discounted lower.

• Elle and DAMN like this

Honest  Capable  Beautiful  Stable

#4 OFFLINE   DAMN

DAMN

Kungfu Kenny

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • LocationOrlando
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 93d 20h 58m 29s

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:22 AM

I remember those special days when my parents would take my brother and I to Toys R Us and leaving with a new Barbie doll or Game Boy game or something. Those days really stick out in my mind, so on one hand, it's kind of sad that a lot of kids growing up now might not know that experience. On the other hand, with online sales and things like Amazon being so much more popular (and cheaper) nowadays, it's no surprise Toys R Us is closing. I see a lot of stores having similar fates in the future.

I've heard that the liquidation sales aren't even that great (yet). My local store has most things for only 10% off or so. It will probably take a few weeks for things to get discounted lower.

yeah i have an indirect connection with them considering my dad did the electricity and wiring of their first store in Puerto Rico back in the 90s when he was an electrician, and i used to go there all the time just to look around at their Thomas the Train stuff 

i saw on their site that they've moved up to 30% off.... not sure if all stores have by now 

but like many people have said, their model never adapted. they should've become more interactive. they're a big boxed warehouse with unnatural lights that sells.. toys. The shopping experience has been rather boring, customer service has lacked a lot across all stores.

Events and activities that tie up with releases of new toys, hands on experience for ALL toys, competing prices, etc would've saved the physical facet of theirs.

unfortunately the saying "adapt or die" has become a staple in retail the past decade and a half 

• Downtown Baby Doll likes this

tumblr_nvz00jSRDO1uf4zrjo1_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users