RileyThomas

Ellie Goulding

Who else likes Ellie Goulding? I love her debut album 'Lights' & the re-release 'Bright Lights' and now I'm really looking forward to 'Halcyon'. I'm also in love with the single 'Anything Could Happen'.

tumblr_mbs9cbxgQB1qh9kaoo1_500.gif

"Halcyon" really took me by surprise with how good it is. I liked "Lights" well enough, but this is a major step forward. The production alone is 10x more interesting this time around. Also, her cover of Active Child's "Hanging On" is rocking my world right now. What an awesomely unexpected pick!

LanaLogo-e1328412462487.png

iamamiwhoami purity ring jessie ware grimes twin shadow

halcyon is gorgeous. much darker than lights/bright lights.

salt skin was my favourite and i was hoping she'd have more songs like it, and she does. halcyon has that whole atmospheric and slightly moody and dark vibe throughout the album. i really dig that.

hopefully i'll be seeing her in december in southampton :3

4r9w86.jpg

ok so Halcycon, I'm glad that her sound didn't completely change there's still songs and bits of songs that remind me of her 1st LP.

with the album as a whole. . . Halcyon I get a sense of heartbreak and unrequited feelings. which makes sense because it is a tragic tale. It's a great album, compelling enough to draw me from my constant Lana listening. I'm nursing heartbreak too so this album is good for that. She's kind delving into Joanne Newsom territory with her vocals and the harps.

stand-out tracks:

My Blood

Hanging On (the original is great too with male vocals!)

Figure 8

Only You

Atlantis

Dead in the Water

My least favorite is JOY. While I like her R&B vocals in the verses, the chorus is too underwhelming for me in terms of the contrast and the lyricism.

giffix-1.gif

I prefer Lights over Halcyon.

Her voice sounds even weaker and out of tune in Halcyon despite being produced to hell. I don't think she even has a strong voice to begin with. I almost can't listen to her perform live because it sounds like she's struggling to even make a sound (ex. her Ellen performance, what was that?)

Also, I wouldn't have chosen ACH as the lead single because it's lyrically repetitive and boring before the song even ends.

Deleted it out of my library. I'll be keeping Bright Lights instead

BzhmW.png

i don't hate halcyon, but i do prefer lights/bright lights. under the sheets is (and always will be) her best single, it's such a standout track and it shows that she's a fantastic artist. stuff like only you just annoys me and i'm sorry, but i don't like her more dubstep stuff. i really do think she's better as a folk artist - but that's just my opinion. i still love eg, i've loved her for over 3 years and it's not going to change.

4r9w86.jpg

i don't hate halcyon, but i do prefer lights/bright lights. under the sheets is (and always will be) her best single, it's such a standout track and it shows that she's a fantastic artist. stuff like only you just annoys me and i'm sorry, but i don't like her more dubstep stuff. i really do think she's better as a folk artist - but that's just my opinion. i still love eg, i've loved her for over 3 years and it's not going to change.

I feel like that with some artists when they go off their original style into something that isn't 'them'. I always feel really bad because I want to like them but it's difficult. With Ellie, I agree, folk music suits her more in my opinion even though I really like stuff like Lights and Anything Could Happen. Then again, those + Starry Eyes are the songs that get played on the radio and attract sales which unfortunatly is sometimes what has to come first. Money is the anthem of success :pft:

tumblr_inline_mpf5hqIjBE1ruk3rs.gif

I feel like that with some artists when they go off their original style into something that isn't 'them'. I always feel really bad because I want to like them but it's difficult. With Ellie, I agree, folk music suits her more in my opinion even though I really like stuff like Lights and Anything Could Happen. Then again, those + Starry Eyes are the songs that get played on the radio and attract sales which unfortunatly is sometimes what has to come first. Money is the anthem of success :pft:

i've never liked lights, ach or se. i adore songs like under the sheets, guns and horses, everytime you go, halcyon, don't say a word, etc. and then there's her unreleased songs like four love songs and emergency that are just sublime. i really do love ellie, but her folk stuff is so much cooler.

4r9w86.jpg