Sign in to follow this  
drownsoda

Courtney Love appreciation thread

Just wanting to see if there are any other Courtney Love/Hole fans on here. I'm a bigger fan of Ms. Love than I am of Lana even, but I've been listening to Hole for far longer. When I found out they were touring together I thought I was hallucinating— just seemed too good to be true. I am ecstatic to get to see them in one show. It's a weird pairing, but a perfect one.

Any other Courtney fans?

For those of you who aren't familiar with her (many of you are young and probably aren't), this is what you're getting yourself into with Courtney Love:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zR4CLwVG_Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GttimV27Z-8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rg_ECFpSceA

960x540.jpg

I'm a fan since I was 15.

Of course, at that time I was listening to Hole everyday and I remember downloading their music and videos with stupid dial up internet.

Truth to be told, I play it now only when I'm in a special mood for it, but I still love her.

It's so weird when I think about it, back then Courtney was my favorite singer, now Lana is.

And I can't see them live in a same night, but some people will. :(

This isn't hate at all but anyone who hasn't heard of Courtney Love nor seen her live be prepared :awk:

^ This is exactly it. I've seen Courtney twice and she's phenomenal, but she comes from a whole different world than Lana, and I don't know if a lot of the people at these shows will be accustomed to it. She's got a lot of punk ethos buried under a glamorous streak— a totally different style than Lana. The pairing of them for a tour is interesting though. That video is from like four or five years ago and she's honestly not that bad live. She's rough, but she's a punker, and she sounded 10x better than that video the both times I saw her.

My brother and his girlfriend are coming to the show with me (we all bought our tickets together this morning) and he was saying to me that it looks like there's a "Dark Queen and Light Queen" sort of dynamic going on between them, which I can see. Lana carries herself much differently than C. Love. Courtney screams, hollers, and rambles in-between songs. I'm curious to see how the Lana crowd responds to her. 

Here's footage from one of Courtney's more recent shows. Her voice is admittedly fried, but go back and listen to some of Hole's discography. She had a great voice that she's roughened up past the point of no return from years of chainsmoking. I still absolutely adore her, forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW9KJPGZUkI

This isn't hate at all but anyone who hasn't heard of Courtney Love nor seen her live be prepared :awk:

^ This is exactly it. I've seen Courtney twice and she's phenomenal, but she comes from a whole different world than Lana, and I don't know if a lot of the people at these shows will be accustomed to it. She's got a lot of punk ethos buried under a glamorous streak— a totally different style than Lana. The pairing of them for a tour is interesting though. That video is from like four or five years ago and she's honestly not that bad live. She's rough, but she's a punker, and she sounded 10x better than that video the both times I saw her.

My brother and his girlfriend are coming to the show with me (we all bought our tickets together this morning) and he was saying to me that it looks like there's a "Dark Queen and Light Queen" sort of dynamic going on between them, which I can see. Lana carries herself much differently than C. Love. Courtney screams, hollers, and rambles in-between songs. I'm curious to see how the Lana crowd responds to her. 

Don't get me wrong Courtney has a few good songs and Brody Dale from The Distillers reminds me of her (I used to listen to Punk as a kid lol)

A lot of people who won't even know who Courtney Love is will certainly be perplexed and like bandwagon fans, They will question why she's on stage in the first place. Either way I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give her the time and day as well if she shows up intoxicated to her shows (I'm not an advid fan of Courtney Love but hasn't she been know to show up intoxicated?)

Live Forever Golden Grill.

Don't get me wrong Courtney has a few good songs and Brody Dale from The Distillers reminds me of her (I used to listen to Punk as a kid lol)

A lot of people who won't even know who Courtney Love is will certainly be perplexed and like bandwagon fans, They will question why she's on stage in the first place. Either way I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't give her the time and day as well if she shows up intoxicated to her shows (I'm not an advid fan of Courtney Love but hasn't she been know to show up intoxicated?)

That's the problem, is that people still think she's the same as she was 20 years ago. In 1994-95 during her band's world tour I don't think she was onstage sober even once. Not to excuse it, but it's somewhat understandable given that Kurt had just died. But yeah, she was on heroin and God knows what else then. She got sober when she started making movies in '96, and seemed to be fine until 2004 when she got in a shitload of trouble and was doing crack, but that ended about seven or eight years ago now. She's for all intents and purposes "clean," and I believe it shows.

Drownsoda, are you on the "Hole & Courtney Love fans" page on facebook? Okay, Courtney is my life. I think anyone that's talked to me for more than 5 minutes knows that. Nobody's Daughter is Hole's greatest album and I credit it with saving my life. I've listened to Hole for as long as I remember. I love Melissa's solo albums, but tbh, she doesn't have shit on Courtney. I think I'm the only person who doesn't hate Courtney's voice now? I think her and Marianne Faithful have similar voices and I think it's something you either like and admire or you just hate it. As for the solo mic video - Courtney doesn't really sound like that live. She guitar-syncs a lot because she really can't accurately play while putting out that much energy into a song. I think it's an after effect of years of drug usage/age. Her solo album wasn't her best work - but even she admits that. 

My fav songs in order

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

Courtney's my favorite songwriter of all time. Honestly, I think she's the best thing since sliced bread. She marches to the beat of her own drum and doesn't get her detractors the time of day, which I really admire. She's one of the most overly criticized people in the music industry (undeservedly so IMO), and I believe Lana sees that, and also sees how strong and fascinating of a figure she is.

I am in the Facebook group! I've met lots of cool people through there.

I'm a fan, particularly of the First Session CD. Courtney will always be hated by some people, but I'm sure she doesn't care at all.

And nice avi, @@drownsoda. It's nice to see the original Iggy on this site  :godlaugh:

Haha, thanks on the avatar. I was in an Iggy mood and was like "Hm... I need to change my avatar... what to?" and it just happened. I love The First Session too, and all of Hole's early work. It's a lot more aggressive and noisy than, say Celebrity Skin, but it's brilliant.

I honesty loved Hole's debut album I thought it was sooo great a couple of years ago.

Pretty on the inside...

Pretty on the Inside is a macabre masterpiece. I love that record.

Live Through This is much more accessible, and the softer side that she shows on that album splays my heart open. "Doll Parts" can make me teary-eyed on the right occasion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEDrotdvDuM

I love everything that she's ever released to be honest, even her 2004 solo record which, while not great by her standards, is a lot better than most other crap.

Bump for those seeing her for EST

Hole has been one of my favorite bands since I got into them in 09 but I never got into her solo stuff, except for But Julian I'm a Little Bit Older Than You only because I heard it was written about Casablancas. Anyone know if it's true?

I'm a fan, particularly of the First Session CD. Courtney will always be hated by some people, but I'm sure she doesn't care at all.

And nice avi, @@drownsoda. It's nice to see the original Iggy on this site  :godlaugh:

Not me ignoring you here too  :toofunny:

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

I couldn't find the other thread (if there ever was one), but anyway...

I'm not sure if some of you are aware, but Anonymous leaked the ch*ld sex trafficking ring list in which a bunch of celebrities pimped out young girls to rich and powerful men, and Courtney's name was on the list. I just have to say that this doesn't actually surprise me. Courtney has made a Instagram posts in the past, painting Prince Andrew in a positive light. She displayed the narrative of "well he didn't do anything bad to me so these rumours must be bullshit". I immediately unfollowed her after that post.

Another thing, she knew about what Harvey Weinstein was doing all these years. She made jokey side comments about it in interviews before.

Boy, what a coward. It just amazes how people can become this way, when fame and money means more to them than the livelihood of young girls and women. I have no doubt her previous breakdowns were due to immense guilt from a culmination of these particular things. 

I don't know if anyone else will agree with me. This post I'm making isn't to start shit, I think lots of people know what Courtney is like. I've enjoyed her band's music for many years and was a fan of Courtney but I can't excuse her as the person she is. I was going to post a story on my IG about her, but realised a bunch of Hole/Nirvana stans follow me and didn't want to cause drama or whatever so that's why I'm doing it here.

♡  standing stoic blue and denim, eyes not blue but clear like heaven