Sign in to follow this  
brooklynbaby91

Does anyone think Lana's latest lyrics suggest that she's an atheist/agnostic now?

Maybe I'm just projecting the shit out of my own beliefs, but I really feel like Lana's new lyrics suggest she no longer believes in god.

Lana's constant talk about god has always been something that slightly irritated me about her lyrics, so the changes she's made lately might have stood out to me more than they would have to the average person.

The first sign was when that creepy ass psycho stalker snuck into her home and shared a photo of Lana's copy of The Satanic Bible. Despite what he title makes it sound like, the book is actually just preaching rationality. The authors don't really believe in the existence of Satan and they don't worship evil. They just see satan as the most "rational" character in the Bible and therefore use his name as a stand-in for logic and also as a way to prove the ridiculousness of religion in the faces of religious people. For example, they tried to have a statue of Satan built in a public square and when Christians protested, they asked WTF is the difference between our religious freedom of "worshipping Satan" and yours of worshipping Jesus?

So that right there was a red flag that Lana might be leaving the Christian crowd.

Then Lust for Life came out and a lot of her lyrics just felt atheistic to me ("There's no more chasin' rainbows/And hopin' for an end to them/Their arches are illusions/Solid at first glance/But then you try to touch them (touch, touch)/There's nothin' to hold on to (hold, hold)/The colors used to lure you in (shut up, shut up)/And put you in a trance").

Several songs just feel like Lana no longer believes in a god. And yes, I know that there's a song called God Bless America and All of the Beautiful Women in It, but it just feels like lip service? Like she doesn't really mean it.

A lot of her lyrics sounds like what I went through as I transitioned from a believer to a non-believer.

All this combined with her space and science obsession and I feel like ol' girl is no longer the Christian chick she used to be.  

Also the chorus of Lust for Life where Lana/The Weeknd go

Cause we're the masters of our own fate
We're the captains of our own souls

Were red flags (in a good way) for me.

149o3h3.jpg

A lot of people in Lana's situation (not as a famous person, but with her upbringing) end up atheist/agnostic.I think it's natural, especially as one ages and becomes more jaded.

giphy.gif

Like I said my first hint was that photo taken by that psycho ass stalker who snuck into her home and took photos of her her books. I'd actually read the book he posted a pic of, and I thought "Wait a minute, that book is an atheist manuscript trolling religious people" and I was confused.

Then Lana's interest in science, Elon Musk, space, etc. started increasing and I couldn't help but be like "hmmmm...."

b0i3fuM.jpg

149o3h3.jpg

I think, as a metaphysics lover, she likes the concept of God as being an universal "protector", even if he doesnt exists. I guess she felt inspired by this thought to create "Love" and the whole LFL persona. Just like Bjork with her song "Saint".

And honestly if she doesnt believes in God that makes me love her even more.

Like I said my first hint was that photo taken by that psycho ass stalker who snuck into her home and took photos of her her books. I'd actually read the book he posted a pic of, and I thought "Wait a minute, that book is an atheist manuscript trolling religious people" and I was confused.

Then Lana's interest in science, Elon Musk, space, etc. started increasing and I couldn't help but be like "hmmmm...."

An interest in science and belief in a higher power are not mutually exclusive.

Anyways, I don't think Lana has shown any evidence of shedding religious beliefs. While I don't think she's ever been particularly hyperreligious, it's pretty clear to me that Lana holds some pretty strong beliefs about some kind of higher power- maybe not the Christian God, but definitely some kind of higher power. The lyrics you cite could easily be interpreted as taking your life into your own hands (LFL), or, in Get Free's case, finding comfort in having stopped trying to chase after things you thought would lead to happiness (fame, fortune) but ultimately led to dead ends.

Not sure how to interpret all of Gods & Monsters, I wonder if all the mentions of God were strictly metaphorical?

tumblr_m11yve4noX1r1o1p8o1_500.jpg

I agree with what @@baddisease said. When she mentions God in her songs, I feel like it's mostly used as a metaphor. Maybe she did/does believe in God but in the context of her songs, I feel like it's not meant to be taken literally. Like when atheists say "God help us all," it's just used as a statement. They don't actually believe that God will help them. I believe Lana also said that God Bless America was not to be taken as a literal reference to the biblical God, it was just a sentiment.

"I ask her if she feels the appropriative nature of the song title may stir any pots of sorts.”Well, it’s the God word,” she says measuredly. “But the phrase has wider meaning. It’s more of a sentiment. When I wrote it I didn’t feel like it was confined to a traditional portrait of the Lord, as some sects might see it. It was more like, ‘Fucking God bless us all and let’s hope we make it through this.'

And considering these lyrics, I would not be surprised if she's shed her traditional religious beliefs LOL.

What'd God give me a brain for?

He won’t help me use it

What'd God give me a plan for If he won’t help me do it?

You know, sometimes I think God is playing a little game with me

Looking down from heaven, laughing, and trying to see how much I can take

Because the way things go, it's like a joke

God's dead, I said, "Baby that's alright with me."

No one’s gonna take my soul away

This is my opinion:

- the chasing rainbows lyric I think refers to her seeking fame in the Lizzy grant era and then when she finally found it the "arches were illusions solid at first glance"

- and the lust for life lyric is actually ab allusion to another song, which I can't remember right now

lana-del-rey-just-for-life-anatomy-nss-m

Well it would be nice to know if she isnt religious, seeing as religion is the most evil thing ever invented by dumb humans wooopd shdjhgb

7cf18f916c76496838bb078b36ed9708af32170e

I think, as a metaphysics lover, she likes the concept of God as being an universal "protector", even if he doesnt exists. I guess she felt inspired by this thought to create "Love" and the whole LFL persona. Just like Bjork with her song "Saint".

And honestly if she doesnt believes in God that makes me love her even more.

Yeah, I mean, when you're really into metaphysics, you see god as a concept, and you question if god really exists. It would not make sense if she said that definitely there's a god, since metaphysics is questioning it all the time. They question if there's a god, if he's the christian one, if it's a material god, or if he's just a abstract energy, etc...

b0i3fuM.jpg

i honestly don't believe for a second that he found that book in her home

This is my opinion:

- the chasing rainbows lyric I think refers to her seeking fame in the Lizzy grant era and then when she finally found it the "arches were illusions solid at first glance"

- and the lust for life lyric is actually ab allusion to another song, which I can't remember right now

i always thought that the get free lyric was about drugs/fake relationships/addiction

This thread is interesting. I'm not sure we'll ever know where she stands on religion... but maybe she's like me when it comes to her beliefs. Personally, I don't believe or disbelieve anything specifically. I like to keep an open mind and think that really anything is possible. It may be somewhat ignorant for me to not educate myself and find my own faith, but the way I look at it is - we're all eventually going to die one day and we'll find out then. So I don't think we should spend our lives fretting about why we're here or what's to come. And I sure as hell don't think people should spend their lives arguing about it with others. Seems like such a waste of this beautiful life. I mean, yes, I believe organized religion is mainly bullshit. But at the same time, I think people should do what makes them happy... and if that's dedicating their life to their religious beliefs and following specific "guidelines" (like those of the bible, for instance), then I say go for it.

Sorry to get off on a tangent lol I know this thread is strictly about Lana and we have other threads to discuss our personal beliefs so I'm totally getting off topic. My point was that it wouldn't surprise me if she feels the way I do. We'll most likely never know unless she decides to publicly speak on it. I don't think she'll ever do that though tbh. Too much of a sticky topic to get into when you're as famous as she is.

TjmiIK4.png

I’m aetheist and have never been bothered by her use of religion in her songs because they’ve always seemed like lip service..and definitely used metaphorically. I’ve always enjoyed the duality of her very sexual slutty songs and the use of religion and god tho

i honestly don't believe for a second that he found that book in her home

She was a student of philosophy and metaphysics. LaVey's Satanism was one of the preeminent new age philosophies of the late 20th century. It acted as a counterpoint to religions that focused their worship on higher powers. In LaVeyan Satanism, there's no idolatry or even belief in existence beyond the physical, so "worship" takes the form of hedonistic self-indulgence. It's actually quite an unusual foil. It borrows a lot from Ayn Rand's Objectivism and the writings of Friedrich Nietzsche.

I fully believe that she bought all kinds of different philosophy books, including The Satanic Witch, purely out of academic interest. She's certainly talked about reading from other philosophers plenty of times. Even if she doesn't believe in the tenets of LaVeyan Satanism, I'm sure she's read about it.