Sign in to follow this  
brooklynbaby91

Does anyone think Lana's latest lyrics suggest that she's an atheist/agnostic now?

Gods and Monsters has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with Hollywood where the stars, male and female are considered Gods

and the monsters are the casting couch rapists and those that take advantage of the innocent

In Coachella, she is talking about wanting to ask a Kim/trump one question, and it has nothing to do with a so called god.

even God knows I tried is just a metaphor or usage of a word to make a point and has nothing to do with religion

Unless of course Gramma was a Goddess, there is no religion in the early stuff either.

And as she believes in science, impossible for a smart mind to actually believe the hokum now isn't it? And she has a smart mind.

Once people start to think, they realize they are being played, don't they? 

Like when a kid discovers (SPOILER ALERT) that Santa Claus may be in the heart, but c'mon, like how in the world (or otherworld) would that even be possible?  God knows it couldn't. (LOL)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

In Coachella, she is talking about wanting to ask a Kim/trump one question, and it has nothing to do with a so called god.

I think that lyric is her definitely asking god a question... trump/kim are definitely not at the end of a stairway to heaven lol

However, I do agree I don't think she's religious in the traditional sense, more like spiritual

@ldelreyyay

but I believe everyone is mistaking what is being said in Coachella as she is not wanting to talk to god

and trading the fame fortune and legend, and give up everything to want to find out how these evil people think. (I'd give it all away to ask him one question, him being kim or trump

and why they are two sick boys with all their toys(being nukes to blow up the world)

and I believe part of the reason some here hate Coachella, is because for one of the few times and in the middle of LFL, she breaks the 4th Wall and comes out of character (I'd give up fame fortune and legend) and is directly singing as Elizabeth (and once she does, there is no turning back)

and nowhere does it indicate kim/trump are going "up there".

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

She's wearing the cross necklaces less and less,  so I definitely think she doesn't want to portray herself as an actual Christian. 

In an old interview when she was asked about being Christian she said that she "always liked the idea of being looked after by a God",  but she kinda avoided the question and didn't say yes or no,  so to her,  maybe the whole Jesus,  God,  crucifix thing is all symbolism to her. And it works, cause it is all something we can understand,  you know,  with Christianity being the dominating religion,  whether or not we believe it ourselves

She studied metaphysics,  so she's clearly the kind of person to just keep on searching. I'm not saying that christians would never study that,  but to me,  it's telling me that Lana is more of an open believer who wants to know everything,  but won't be held down by this one religion

@ldelreyyay

but I believe everyone is mistaking what is being said in Coachella as she is not wanting to talk to god

and trading the fame fortune and legend, and give up everything to want to find out how these evil people think. (I'd give it all away to ask him one question, him being kim or trump

and why they are two sick boys with all their toys(being nukes to blow up the world)

and I believe part of the reason some here hate Coachella, is because for one of the few times and in the middle of LFL, she breaks the 4th Wall and comes out of character (I'd give up fame fortune and legend) and is directly singing as Elizabeth (and once she does, there is no turning back)

and nowhere does it indicate kim/trump are going "up there".

I definitely see what you're saying. I never thought about it that way, but yeah

Gods and Monsters has nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with Hollywood where the stars, male and female are considered Gods

and the monsters are the casting couch rapists and those that take advantage of the innocent

even God knows I tried is just a metaphor or usage of a word to make a point and has nothing to do with religion

Unless of course Gramma was a Goddess, there is no religion in the early stuff either.

And as she believes in science, impossible for a smart mind to actually believe the hokum now isn't it? And she has a smart mind.

Like when a kid discovers (SPOILER ALERT) that Santa Claus may be in the heart, but c'mon, like how in the world (or otherworld) would that even be possible?  God knows it couldn't. (LOL)

And also "I am my only God" Clearly,  is she really that Christian if she can so openly say that stuff that could offend your regular Christian? 

don't ask me,  cause I'm not one,  but just saying

She was a student of philosophy and metaphysics. LaVey's Satanism was one of the preeminent new age philosophies of the late 20th century. It acted as a counterpoint to religions that focused their worship on higher powers. In LaVeyan Satanism, there's no idolatry or even belief in existence beyond the physical, so "worship" takes the form of hedonistic self-indulgence. It's actually quite an unusual foil. It borrows a lot from Ayn Rand's Objectivism and the writings of Friedrich Nietzsche.

I fully believe that she bought all kinds of different philosophy books, including The Satanic Witch, purely out of academic interest. She's certainly talked about reading from other philosophers plenty of times. Even if she doesn't believe in the tenets of LaVeyan Satanism, I'm sure she's read about it.

Yes thank you for actually being educated about this  :toofunny: too many people ditch the idea of Lana 'going there' because they think it is the Religion Of Plain Evil.  Obviously we've been conditioned to think that but it's not true

And also "I am my only God" Clearly,  is she really that Christian if she can so openly say that stuff that could offend your regular Christian? 

don't ask me,  cause I'm not one,  but just saying

also, interestingly enough "i am my only god" is basically the central belief of laveyan satanism & the church of satan - who, contrarily to what a lot of people think, don't actually worship satan or even believe in spiritual entities.

also, interestingly enough "i am my only god" is basically the central belief of laveyan satanism & the church of satan - who, contrarily to what a lot of people think, don't actually worship satan or even believe in spiritual entities.

:fact: everyone should know it,  it's a fact

l always thought she was a true believer in a god during the Born To Die, Ultraviolence, and Honeymoon eras. I only started wondering if she was having a change of belief over the past year or two and then when lyrics that sounded atheistic popped up in some songs in LFL, it kind of squared with what I'd been thinking. Could be a coincidence, though. 

149o3h3.jpg

I'm baffled how many of you understand her religous lyrics as literal references. Not to say anybody is wrong here, I just assumed the way I feel about it was quite common.

I think she has always been agnostic in her work (excluding the cult ridden May Jailer era). She portrays the struggle of every human being to question one's own purpose. God is the only figure whether he exists or only exists as a common fantasy amongst our culture to might have an answer to that. Pawn Shop Blues and Coachella both describe the will to let go of everything earthly imaginable just to get a piece of that universal knowledge of life. Just like Eve she wants to taste the forbidden fruit to gain knowledge even if that results in her losing life/losing eternal life. To me the constant mention of God seems more like a feeling of desperation and the last remaining hope. If there is no heaven, none of us will ever find the true meaning of life. Yet death (and the following encounter with God) seems to be the only way to answer her questions as it is humanly impossible (the Absurd) to figure out what our purpose is. Camus believed to accept the absurdity of life and continue living is the true revolt (contrary to suicide being the revolt against the absurdity) which could relate to songs like L4L. I guess that could be a shift.

But then again a lot of her songs give different perspectives on the matter. From claiming one's own human power and dismissing anything above that (Disco/Gods &Monsters) to surrendering completely to the unknown entity (Bel Air/Old Money) or even trying to create heaven on earth (Ride).

you can be smart and believe in a higher power, just saying.

believing in a God doesn't equal stupid. Having an open mind and searching for answers constantly (which Lana seems to do) is actually extremely smart. Being close minded is actually a stupid way to live.

anyway, I really don't care what her belief's are. If she's a Christian, cool. If she's an Atheist, cool. Is she doesn't know, cool. If she's a LaVey Satanist, I'll judge a little because I don't like him and his usage of improper Latin, and as a Theistic Satanist...I can't stand him.

the end.

~INSTA1.gif

you can be smart and believe in a higher power, just saying.

believing in a God doesn't equal stupid. Having an open mind and searching for answers constantly (which Lana seems to do) is actually extremely smart. Being close minded is actually a stupid way to live.

THANK YOU. and i say that as an agnostic. like you, i also dgaf about other people's religion or lack thereof, but this particular brand of holier-than-thou atheism is incredibly annoying & more than a little bit ironic - they can be just as proselytizing (or more) as those they deride & are supposedly superior to.

I'm baffled how many of you understand her religous lyrics as literal references. Not to say anybody is wrong here, I just assumed the way I feel about it was quite common.

I think she has always been agnostic in her work (excluding the cult ridden May Jailer era). She portrays the struggle of every human being to question one's own purpose. God is the only figure whether he exists or only exists as a common fantasy amongst our culture to might have an answer to that. Pawn Shop Blues and Coachella both describe the will to let go of everything earthly imaginable just to get a piece of that universal knowledge of life. Just like Eve she wants to taste the forbidden fruit to gain knowledge even if that results in her losing life/losing eternal life. To me the constant mention of God seems more like a feeling of desperation and the last remaining hope. If there is no heaven, none of us will ever find the true meaning of life. Yet death (and the following encounter with God) seems to be the only way to answer her questions as it is humanly impossible (the Absurd) to figure out what our purpose is. Camus believed to accept the absurdity of life and continue living is the true revolt (contrary to suicide being the revolt against the absurdity) which could relate to songs like L4L. I guess that could be a shift.

But then again a lot of her songs give different perspectives on the matter. From claiming one's own human power and dismissing anything above that (Disco/Gods &Monsters) to surrendering completely to the unknown entity (Bel Air/Old Money) or even trying to create heaven on earth (Ride).

I want this on my gravestone thanks

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif