partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

Yeah I don’t think it was ever posted here but BlackoutZone talked about this, sometime last year I THINK (unfortunately ATRL was reset so I can’t find the post anymore).

But he basically talked about how she was hard at work on the follow up to BTD when they decided to put Paradise together as an EP (and we know Lana herself said she wanted it to be an album but was told it was too soon). They basically formed Paradise using songs she already had, and then continued on with that same pool of songs for the next full-length (which would end up being Ultraviolence).

Not sure if what I’m saying makes sense but what BOZ was trying to clarify is that Paradise outtakes and Ultraviolence outtakes are essentially the same thing and there’s no real point trying to differentiate them, especially when some songs on UV are “older” than Paradise (Old Money and MPG, for example).

He also talked about how Wild One was on an early UV draft titled as ‘Mike’ and that there’s no real “Honeymoon version” - if I’m quoting BOZ correctly here, he said something along the lines of, for some reason, Lana/her team reached out to Justin Parker regarding the song that year and that’s when Parker decide to slightly update the mix, hence the two very similar mixes we have, and the change in title to “Wild One”. He also said that “Lake Placid” was an early title for I Don’t Wanna Go/Tonight/Black Leather Moonlight.

Maybe someone has a screenshot of his post in case I’m remembering any details wrong, but this is what I recall.

Edit: and I think he also said what was discussed on the previous page, that Tropico was an early working title for the actual album, not an EP

ugh i really got major chills from knowing all that stuff the same way as when something leaks.... 

@Unknown i just have two questions regarding this tropico-uv situation that help organize my tracker, i am so grateful for ur help and facts u bring in, if u happen to know the following that would be so cool! 

1. tropico (working title for uv concept) and late 2013 Ultraviolence scrapped tracklist that was planned to be released (before she met Dan) are same or different projects? 

2. are tropico EP and tropico (uv concept) 2 different things, right? as i remember honeymouns posted that tracklist with Money Power Glory early version and I Talk to Jesus but in his tracklist where Paradise tracks were also, while u said it was intended non-Paradise project

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

@lanaismamom Tropico, Paradise (EP) and UV was totally different three projects and original UV was going in be more spirtual cinematic (Ultraviolence demo, BB demo, I Can Fly, Fine China) and singer-songwritter (NOTG, LL, CB).

i don't why Tropico is called EP when it literally has 10 tracks and OG Paradise had 6-8.

On 12/31/2022 at 12:08 AM, bored said:

Does anyone have this original 2013 Ultraviolence tracklist?

unfortunately probaly only Lana herself but it had Living Legend, Nectar, Cherry Blossom, Black Beauty (demo), Ultraviolence (demo) and probaly Old Money, I Can Fly, Fine China, maybe SOC and Cruel World but more stripped down and cinematic. (IYLDWM and UFB might been on album too)

West Coast was scrapped

I’m pretty sure at one point she said “Melancholia” was the title track, at least a UV (song) Alt title

imagine BTD > Paradise > Melancholia

tumblr_mmkkluK6l81sp6362o1_500.png" />

45 minutes ago, palemoonbaby said:

unfortunately probaly only Lana herself but it had Living Legend, Nectar, Cherry Blossom, Black Beauty (demo), Ultraviolence (demo) and probaly Old Money, I Can Fly, Fine China, maybe SOC and Cruel World but more stripped down and cinematic. (IYLDWM and UFB might been on album too)

West Coast was scrapped

i never heard of what tracks were 100% on it... like i never heard anything regarding that tracklist of the end 2013 right before she met Dan... are these ur assumptions or u read it anywhere?

15 minutes ago, yayoop said:

I’m pretty sure at one point she said “Melancholia” was the title track, at least a UV (song) Alt title

imagine BTD > Paradise > Melancholia

No. The song was called Melancholia and was later changed to work as title track for the album title she later settled on. She explained this in the UV track by track commentary.

14 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

i never heard of what tracks were 100% on it... like i never heard anything regarding that tracklist of the end 2013 right before she met Dan... are these ur assumptions or u read it anywhere?

assumption

if she put some tracks from OG UV session on BB that means she wanted them to see the light, the same with scrapped vault tracks from BB (FC, ICF).

she was angry when Black Beauty leaked and mentioned original concept of Ultraviolence song so they were as well on tracklist.

i'm not sure bout SOC and CW but if we delete guitars and rock influences we have soundscape which Lana wanted before she met Dan. 

Old Money has Heath production credits and he was one of main producers of original album

7 minutes ago, palemoonbaby said:

assumption

if she put some tracks from OG UV session on BB that means she wanted them to see the light, the same with scrapped vault tracks from BB (FC, ICF).

she was angry when Black Beauty leaked and mentioned original concept of Ultraviolence song so they were as well on tracklist.

i'm not sure bout SOC and CW but if we delete guitars and rock influences we have soundscape which Lana wanted before she met Dan. 

Old Money has Heath production credits and he was one of main producers of original album

tbh ye i tried to make approximate tracklist and these songs really make sense.... but, there really were like 3 projects before she pulled UV as we know it know - "Tropico" album - first concept idea of uv tracks consisting of stripped back tracks, tropico EP that was supposed to be longer (with unleaked MPG demo and stuff), and ultraviolence with rick nowels... the one that got scrapped
so ye og ultraviolence tracklist is such a dream rare 

7 minutes ago, palemoonbaby said:

assumption

we know that Cruel World wasn’t written until at least December 2013-January 2014 in the same session as when PWYC and Guns and Roses were recorded at Electric Lady, and then it was recorded with Dan at the beginning of 2014, so that song is actually probably one of the only ones on the album that never existed in much of a different form before the Auerbach sessions. although I am curious if there’s a demo out there from the Electric Lady sessions

It’s really interesting to me because whatever the album originally was had so many different sounds recorded so close together. Flipside was recorded in June 2013 during the same session as Unidentified Flying Bill, like what 😭😭 and the version of Money Power Glory that’s on the album was untouched after the day it was recorded and is actually probably a year or so older than the Dan Auerbach version that leaked as a “demo”. so the sonic world of the UV that we know was definitely still there for a while before Lana and Dan started tracking at Easy Eye, but so were a lot of other sounds too. i’m really curious what the album sounded like when she thought it was done at the end of 2013 lmfao, i feel like it was lowkey kind of a mess

Just now, lilac heaven said:

It’s really interesting to me because whatever the album originally was had so many different sounds recorded so close together. Flipside was recorded in June 2013 during the same session as Unidentified Flying Bill, like what 😭😭 and the version of Money Power Glory that’s on the album was untouched after the day it was recorded and is actually probably a year or so older than the Dan Auerbach version that leaked as a “demo”. so the sonic world of the UV that we know was definitely still there for a while before Lana and Dan started tracking at Easy Eye, but so were a lot of other sounds too. i’m really curious what the album sounded like when she thought it was done at the end of 2013 lmfao, i feel like it was lowkey kind of a mess

afaik flipside was recorded in the same studio as ufb but not session, and as far as i remember we dont know when was money power glory album version recorded... but i might miss something? also always wondered when was black beauty reworked with Paul Epworth