partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

Just now, ImenaOphelia said:

OK SO the versions of yth fine china and your girl that we have are fakes made by Patrick Warren who had a small role in the production and didn't have the whole files so he sent Eclipse (who was impersonating a person working with Lana) versions made by himself from the stems he had. the only versions of syth that are real are James Ford's leaked by the music mafia and the one produced by STINT. am i right?

That sounds correct, that was my understanding of it

I don’t really wanna die, I just want the pain to be over

Well, this is certainly a lot lol.

Unfortunately for me, my timing is quite poor so I actually am off to sleep now even in the midst of these new revelations. I can only imagine what else will be here by the time I wake up.

However, the thing I don’t want to see upon my return is drama.. so please try to take in this information as much as you can without beginning drama/fighting with other members like there was yesterday.

See you all when I wake.. perhaps bringing the return of my sleep = news curse x

:noir:

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

14 minutes ago, fine china said:

So was Eclipse impersonating someone who works with Lana to get these files? Why else would one of the producers send him these ‘demos’

Lol, I remember a Poppy twink revealing  that they impersonated Poppy/her team and would email Island Records or her producers, already knowing xyz sessions exist, and then allegedly would get stuff in return #messy :smh:

Edit: Uh oh, guess January 4th is now a #lore day, thanks BOZ for the info about sessions though :derpna3:- I'll have to re-read this later

58 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

This is a bit more complicated, but what I think happened was:
Lana originally did Roses with Chris Braide in 2010 (that version remains unleaked), then in 2011 it was reworked with Theophilus London, but I do not know if it was with Lana's involvement or not, because I suspect the rework was meant for pitching and not for Born to Die. That's why it ended up with Cheryl. That was still the time when Lana's scrapped material was being thrown around especially since she was slowly getting hype in the music industry. For example, I don't know if this is known, but Rita Ora recorded Live or Die in 2012

to which artist did Lana pitched Meet Me In The Pale moonlight? @BlackoutZone

27 minutes ago, BlackoutZone said:

I think it's time to talk about the iconic trio of UV outtakes - Yes to Heaven, Fine China & Your Girl. It's a twisted web and I'm not really good with phrasing and explaining such things so it might be difficult for you to understand everything (especially if you have no technical background on how songs are being produced), but I'll try to walk you through it all step by step and if something remains unclear I will try to explain it further!

These 3 songs were originally written and produced alongside Rick Nowels and his engineers back in late 2013. We first found out about their existence in 2016 when Eclipse obtained the demos and revealed the titles/snippets. They later happened to spread and leak becoming mysterious fan favorites and sadly as beloved and iconic in the community they are, all 3 are fake...
well, technically.

To understand why they are fake I need to give you a full breakdown of what happened.
It must have started with Eclipse getting his hands on an invoice from Patrick Warren who was responsible for recording and engineering Keys/Strings on some of the songs at that time. That listing apart from tracks that were released included Say Yes To Heaven, Fine China and Your Girl which have been fully unknown to the public. He contacts Patrick and using that info tries to get the demos from him, I assume under the suggestion that Lana is considering re-using the songs and tries to get the tracks/parts back. The thing is, Patrick is just someone who records his small part for the mix, he isn't actively working on the song as a producer so he doesn't really have access to all the material. Still though, he had some loose stems/sessions parts I assume, without properly bounced mix, he challenged himself to create mixes of all 3 that would be serviceable for that moment.

If you check the original files of all 3 leaked tracks, you'll find in the metadata that those demos were exported in Logic 10.2.2. That version of Logic Pro was released on March 8th, 2016 so any mix could not be older than that and of course the original ones were made in 2013. Not to mention the fact that Rick and his engineers work with Pro Tools, not Logic, unlike Patrick. But this goes even further. Patrick's available stems of the tracks were seemingly so incomplete he decided to create new production and structure for the songs making complete new versions that were unlike what Lana and Rick originally curated. He sent those back to Eclipse alongside the very incomplete stems.

This mess doesn't end here. You see Patrick Warren's job is to deliver the stems containing the new parts he was issued to arrange and engineer. Since he is often doing it independently of the rest, he adds a little bit of the song's intro at the beginning of every stem file he bounces so that when Rick receives it he knows how to place it in the mix alongside his parts. It's usually like 20/30 seconds and you can see what I'm talking about, because Eclipse shared some stems snippets from the files he received:
https://onlyfiles.io/f/e0236e30cb224f9e8618fe09ab0b9bc3
https://onlyfiles.io/f/ce703d3a5a204566bd31278eb667e6f7
Thank you @TheBoss for providing these to me

The first seconds here are the intros of real Rick reference demos, the latter parts however are already stems/mixes of what Patrick attempted to make in 2016. If you want some more closure, there is something @Say Yes to Heaven mentioned already - Eclipse must have received another pack of the same fashion later in 2016 of upcoming LFL track, Something Real (aka 13 Beaches). If you remember those times well, his exact teaser said "You took the.. #SR". This was most probably, because the singular stems he received as Something Real ALSO contained a few seconds of actual song at the beginning that happened to cut right after Lana saying "You took t..". In the full official credits you can see that Patrick is credited on 13 Beaches for "Waterphone", "Harmonium" and "Synthesizer".

Now circling back, while Fine China and Your Girl only had one mix leaked, Yes to Heaven also had this:

And this one is also fake, but it's technically closer to being a real thing than the Patrick mix. I don't know if this one was made by Eclipse or someone who got the stems from him, but this must have been made with filtered acapella of the Patrick Warren version, mixed with additional stems he provided and then layered with the looped guitar/drum pattern from the intro that I mentioned previously. But that guitar loop was literally a fundament of very first version of Yes to Heaven (unlike the Patrick mix that begins with strings) so you can imagine how it sounded based on this.

The first real version of Yes to Heaven that you have is the one leaked by Music Mafia which is a James Ford demo from late March/early April 2014. At that stage UV was shaping as an album, Rob Orton started properly mixing it and Lana decided to take last attempts to find the right production for the song by asking James Ford to give it a try. Sadly it also got discarded and at that point they just let go of the song (at least for that era).

The second real version of Yes to Heaven that you have is from latter part of 2014, 3:31 in length with leading production by STINT. Keep in mind though that while I refer to those versions as James Ford produced / STINT produced demos, they are all based on Rick's demos they got presented to work with. I think it's just easier to name them as such for clear sorting purposes. Even though the song was being worked on in both 2014 and 2015 they still failed to include it on HM as well.

It's fortunate for you that those happened to leak, cause Patrick's SYTH was the most different to the real demos from UV. Fine China is also pretty different, while Your Girl early demos (not the final though) are fairly similar to Patrick's mix. I mentioned earlier that both Fine China and Your Girl got mixed by Rob Orton alongside UV so they've been scrapped from the release on very last minute and unlike Yes to Heaven - ditched for good right after.

The weirdest thing in all this is that those quick Patrick Warren mixes are great... even though the mixing is clearly rushed and poor. The harmonica break in Yes to Heaven, the organs in Your Girl chorus, that stuff was never meant to be there, but hell it works. This sadly also means that if Patrick only sent those 160kbps mp3 files, the better ones don't exist.

That is all for now, unless @111 would like to now come forward and add something that I missed/got wrong. I also do not really believe that you didn't know the truth about all of this back then so I don't understand why you never revealed that the mixes aren't real. I think die hard fans deserve that kind of closure about some of the most iconic unreleased songs.

This took me years to figure out with massive help of someone who is also present on this very forum and I have mad respect for, thank you again!

BOTH OF MY THEORIES BEING TRUE.. ive literally rambled so much on SYTH v1 and v2 being fakes but i never imagined like THIS lmfao.. I just KNEW the string version was not the true version at all - the song is so obviously meant for much more than that

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

so after reading this, it kinda have me hope - fine china leaked version always seemed.... weird? isnt it? really and really rough but the idea and lyrics of the song is far immaculate, this is why i always stanned idea of being kind of final version of fine china by dan auerbach, but omg im really happy that there is polished versions of both your girl and fine china existing and that they even almost made the record also really facsinates me! not gonna lie i never was strong connected to your girl, but now, knowing that there are more polished and improved versions of this, this gives me hope and chills! also, can we start counting Day Yes to Heaven James Fords Version as Ultraviolence final? 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y