partymonster

LDR Album Process Discussion

my prediction for a possible recording timeline

Early 2013

• Money Power Glory (Greg Kurstin talked about how this song was recorded “very early on” in the album process, and the version on the album is untouched from that first day)

January 2013

• Black Beauty demo

April-May 2013

• Cherry Blossom

• Nectar of the Gods

• Living Legend

• West Coast demo/radio mix

June 2013

• Unidentified Flying Bill (confirmed to be recorded June 2013 by NightBird Studios)

• Flipside (confirmed to be recorded June 2013 by NightBird Studios)

Fall 2013

• Nowels version of Shades of Cool

• Nowels version of Sad Girl

• Nowels version of Brooklyn Baby

• I Can Fly demo

• Is This Happiness

• Old Money

• Fucked My Way Up to the Top demo

• Ultraviolence demo

• Fine China demo

• Yes to Heaven demo

December 2013-January 2014

• Pretty When You Cry

• Guns and Roses

- Cruel World written during PWYC/G&R session

January-February 2014

• Cruel World final

• Ultraviolence final

• Shades of Cool final

• Brooklyn Baby final

• West Coast final

• Sad Girl final (instrumental re-recorded only, vocal track is the same as the Nowels demo)

• Florida Kilos

• Fucked My Way Up to the Top final

• The Other Woman

• Black Beauty final (vocals not re-recorded, Paul Epworth production just added to the song considering vocal track is the same as demo)

• I Talk to Jesus Auerbach version

• Fine China Auerbach version

• Money Power Glory Auerbach “demo”

• Yes to Heaven Auerbach version

*I am editing this as others share new information!!

19 minutes ago, lanaismamom said:

afaik flipside was recorded in the same studio as ufb but not session, and as far as i remember we dont know when was money power glory album version recorded... but i might miss something? also always wondered when was black beauty reworked with Paul Epworth

A while back I saw a picture of Lana recording in NightBird that was captioned “Lana recording Flipside and UFB in June 2013” so I just assumed that was confirmed somewhere by NightBird as well considering NightBird confirmed UFB being from June 2013. Although Eclipse did mention recently that a Flipside demo exists and is really good, so maybe it’s another Black Beauty/Sad Girl situation and the vocal track was recorded then as a different version of the song, and then reworked later as well?

It’s also worth noting that Black Beauty could’ve been re-worked in early 2014 as well. Dan said that Interscope refused to release Ultraviolence unless Lana worked with “Adele’s producer” (Greg Kurstin and Paul are the only collaborators on the album who have also worked with Adele, and we know MPG is pretty old), but when Adele’s producer got to the meeting and heard the demos of the Dan Auerbach songs, he said they were great and he wouldn’t change a thing. So possibly around that time, he was given Black Beauty to re-work anyway because he said he didn’t want to change anything about the songs Dan had done?

4 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

It’s also worth noting that Black Beauty could’ve been re-worked in early 2014 as well. Dan said that Interscope refused to release Ultraviolence unless Lana worked with “Adele’s producer” (Greg Kurstin and Paul are the only collaborators on the album who have also worked with Adele, and we know MPG is pretty old), but when Adele’s producer got to the meeting and heard the demos of the Dan songs, he said they were great and he wouldn’t change a thing. So possibly around that time, he was given Black Beauty to re-work anyway because he said he didn’t want to change anything about the songs Dan had done?

Black Beauty was the label's lead single choice too. They didn’t like West Coast. They ended up releasing Black Beauty pretty much independently long after Lana had given up on the album.

17 minutes ago, The Love Witch said:

We also have this obscure "Trans-Am" title. That may have been a working title for the scrapped UV material. Lana had a song book lying around in the pictures she posted of her in the studio back in 2013.

yeah but at the same time its just a Word.... idk why we started connecting it with song since there is no evidence in it its just a randim Word in a romb but I really wish it would be a real song... the title is just too iconic and fits aesthetics so good

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7jpqyd46ox5igmjru9y

I really wish recording dates were by standard listed in official song credit linear notes, I love knowing the timeline of how albums came to be :defeated: Honeymoon is a complete mystery too, we don’t know anything about when the final versions for that album were recorded besides sometime from mid 2014 to mid 2015

Honestly, I'd love for us to get an Ultraviolence: Side B. It's my favourite era or hers and every single song (no matter how sonically different) just hits.

01. Angels Forever, Forever Angels

02. Ave Maria

03. Beautiful People

04. Cherry Blossom

05. Cult Leader

06. Dark City

07. Don't Stop

08. Dragonslayer

09. Fine China

10. Hollywood

11. I Can Fly

12. I Talk To Jesus

13. If You Lie Down With Me

14. JFK

15. Let Me Love You Like A Woman

16. Living Legend

17. Nectar Of The Gods

18. Queen Of Hearts

19. Say Yes To Heaven

20. Starry Eyed

21. Summer Wine

22. Unidentified Flying Bill

23. Wait For Life

24. Your Girl

All the songs from this era are just god-tier…it’s so interesting to think about the headspace she was in following such an unwarranted backlash that led to the creation of some of the best songs she’s ever made—a large majority of them unreleased. I remember in her Instagram Live on Blue Banisters release day, she said that making another record didn’t seem like the next step to “being pissed off” but it was “all [she] knew how to do” at the time. Ultraviolence and its cumulative recording process is not just a career-defining moment, but a life-defining one. She was and still is so incredible. 

I really wish artists would do more behind the scenes things... I'm imagining a 2hour special where Lana and the producers (of said album) sit down together and talk about the demos, songs that didn't make the cut, their individual visions for the project, draft tracklistings etc. Even play demos and show footage from back then if they have it.

Hear her discuss in depth the process and how the album came to be and how she ultimately decides when an album is finished. She could even have the creative team there to discuss the visuals and mood of the era? Album artwork, styling, fonts, the videos.

Like a real deep dive into the creative process... Born To Die, Ultraviolence and Honeymoon especially deserve these!

55 minutes ago, lilac heaven said:

my prediction for a possible recording timeline

Early 2013

• Money Power Glory (Greg Kurstin talked about how this song was recorded “very early on” in the album process, and the version on the album is untouched from that first day)

April-May 2013

• Cherry Blossom

• Nectar of the Gods

• Living Legend

June 2013

• Unidentified Flying Bill (confirmed to be recorded June 2013 by NightBird Studios)

• Flipside (confirmed to be recorded June 2013 by NightBird Studios)

• Black Beauty demo

Fall 2013

• Nowels version of Shades of Cool

• Nowels version of Sad Girl

• Nowels version of Brooklyn Baby

• I Can Fly demo

• Is This Happiness

• West Coast radio mix

• Old Money

• Fucked My Way Up to the Top demo

• Ultraviolence demo

December 2013-January 2014

• Pretty When You Cry

• Guns and Roses

- Cruel World written during PWYC/G&R session

January-February 2014

• Cruel World final

• Ultraviolence final

• Shades of Cool final

• Brooklyn Baby final

• West Coast final

• Sad Girl final (instrumental re-recorded only, vocal track is the same as the Nowels demo)

• Florida Kilos

• Fucked My Way Up to the Top final

• The Other Woman

• Black Beauty final (vocals not re-recorded, Paul Epworth production just added to the song considering vocal track is the same as demo)

Ultraviolence final version uses the same vocal track as the 2013 Dan Heath demo! And it seems that there is a Guns and Roses demo recorded at the same as Black Beauty based on her January 2013 lyric book! 

image.png